GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a test drive yesterday in an SLT-2 with the HUD. The sun came out and so I put my shades on. To my surprise the HUD disappeared. I thought that the HUD was broken initially but when I took my glasses off it came back. I can only assume that since my sunglasses are polarized that this has a conflict with being able to see the reflection off of the windshield. It looks like I will have to get a new (less expensive) pair when I drive the Acadia. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have HUD and polarized sunglasses and have noticed that the disolay appears lighter with them on and the viewing angle needs to be adjusted for the best results with the sunglasses on.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I have polarized prescription sunglasses, and have not noticed any problem with the HUD (which I love). I do have a problem seeing my Garmin Nuvi gps unit.

Kelly

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't have that problem, and wear Polarized glasses.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Whether it's the HUD or the NAV display, there are extremely occasional (and visual angle dependent) dims with polarized sunglasses. These are very slight and I don't find it problematic at all.

Could it have been that you leaned too much to one side or the other? One can lose the sight of the HUD based on the angle of your head and body with or without polarized glasses...but it's not a fault of the HUD.

·
Registered
118 Posts
my polarized glasses make a big difference in the hud brightness. i have to turn the brightness all the way up, and even with that, can still barely see it. i guess there must be different levels of polarization of sunglassses, either that or some of you didn't get what you paid for!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are new glasses (just picked them up over the weekend). I will have to try them on the HUD in my Grand Prix to compare. I will experiment with different lenses. If all else fails I will have to return them and get ones that are not polarized. I will be sad because the un-polarized ones are about $40 cheaper, j/k.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have polarized sun glasses and there is definately a big difference in brightness with the glasses on and off. Huge difference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Polarized sunglasses significantly reduce the visibility of the HUD.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took my new sunglasses back over the weekend and got non-polarized ones. My Grand Prix HUD had the same issue with the dimming using polarized lenses. I am happy to report that the HUD is once again viewable to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It all depends on the angles of polarization between your glasses and the display (hud, nav, otherwise). I've seen this problem even with factory LCD displays. Not all polarized glasses have the same angle, so some may work OK with the HUD and some may not. Tilt your head from side to side and you should see it get better or worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: HUD screen showing green lines

Has anyone had their HUD screen start to show green lines? It looks like a frame of green lines around the display on my window. Sometimes the lines just show on one side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts