GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have upgraded to aftermarket wheels and tires, do you know if you needed Hub Centric rings for your application?

I've had my wheels on the car for a few months and have noticed a vibration in the steering wheel and sometimes I think the whole car. In doing some research and then removing the center cap of my wheel I notice there is no hub centric ring installed and the wheel is offset from center as a result (Thanks alot Discount Tire! :mad:). So I called my manufacturer of the wheels and they do not supply the rings with purchase of the wheels. I need to call Discount Tire yet to see if they can get them, but in a quick search online I could not find the size that I need. Thanks to MKW for helping determine the correct measurements.

Inner Diameter(car hub) measures 74.5...but ring should be slightly bigger for it to fit correctly, likely 74.8 or 74.9
Outer Diameter(aftermarket wheel opening) measures 78.1, and again should be slightly smaller, likely a 77.8 or 77.7?

So again anyone who has upgraded, did you purchase rings seperately, did your wheel mfg or installer supply them, or are you not using any?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Have you checked with Tire Rack? I don't know that they advertise them, but I know if you call and tell them what you want to do they may be able to help. I had to do this on my BMW wagon, the rings on it were cheap plastic and Tire Rack sells aluminum rings. They were a little over $20 shipped for a set of 4 as I recall.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
imgntht said:
For those of you that have upgraded to aftermarket wheels and tires, do you know if you needed Hub Centric rings for your application?
My experience: I bought 4 aluminum winter rims at Sears for my snow tires for the Mustang 2 winters ago. Since the rims were not factory original, the accompanied inner hub rings were installed before mounting. After the second winter, 2007, the inexperience tech that removed the wheels, damaged 3 of the inner rings. Sears immediately ordered 4 new rings and called me in a week to pick them up at no charge. The replacement rings are in the glove box to be re-installed on the winter rims around Thanksgiving.

One might be able to get by without the inner hub rings for a while, but with wheel vibration, the wheel bolts will begin to loosen up b/c of non snugness of the rim to the wheel spindle. Aluminum rims expand and contract with the weather. I would make sure you use the hub inner rings that come with the aftermarket rims. Quality manufactures of aftermarket rims will always include the inner rings in each box. Some techs may say they are not necessary, but they are in the box with the rim for a purpose. Sorry to hear the hub inner rings did not come with your new wheels and the tech did not notice. Without the rings, check lug nuts for tightness on a periodic basis, especially if alum rims.
Jon

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I *hope* I found my own solution...and found a way to help others on here as well.

After calling Tirerack and then a few other sources, I stumbled upon a website called http://www.prestigewheel.com. While their website did not look promising while browsing the parts list, they had a phone number to call (800-854-6770) to order custom made rings. Against my better judgement that "custom" equals "expensive", I gave it a shot. To my delightful surprise they had a set a rings in stock to fit my specific application and it was only $11.85 per ring. Still a bit on the high side considering most rings I found sold for approx $20 for the set of 4, but this was still less than I had in mind to pay. So I placed the order and I should have them in 5-7 days via UPS. I spoke with Sharon who initially answered the phone and she was so helpful and pleasant to deal with. I told her my O.D.(Wheel Bore) and I.D.(Hub Bore) and within a few seconds found what I needed. Part number was HR78-74.10. I noted that I hadn't seen it on the webiste and she noted that the 78 size was newer and not yet listed on the site...This proved to me that she was knowledgeable about current trends and was getting me the correct parts. I mentioned it was for an Acadia and she acknowledged how new it was.

Just to follow-up on the Tire Rack suggestion from Blue...Tirerack DOES offer hub centric rings for wheels manufacturers which they carry. For brands they do not stock, they advised me to contact http://www.1010tires.com. Unfortunately 1010 did not have the available size for the Acadia and could not assist further.

Teeter: The rims are forged so I'm hoping they will be fine. I also got some info out of the Tirerack guy that the vibration could begin to affect my gears and drivetrain from all the vibrations... :eek: I forgot to ask Sharon at Prestige if the rings were plastic or aluminum...the website shown an aluminum set, so I am assuming that is the case. I would have preferred the plastic, so we'll see what I get in the mail.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Good research and documentation imgntht. Will sure make it easier for the next guy or gal that needs them. :thumb: I'm going to try & copy this info into an aftermarket wheel sticky.

I'd hope for $11.85 each they would be alloy of some sort. I don't know the brand that was on the BMW when I got it, but they literally fell apart when I took the wheels off the first time. I've since redone the F&R brakes and the aluminum ones have held up nicely.

EDIT
I just noticed the PN is 78-74.10. I wonder if the actual ID is 74.10? You measured 74.5, there is no way those would fit over your hubs if that is the case. Let us know when you get them.

I've added an aftermarket wheel FAQ/tips Sticky here.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue: I think you are right about the 74.10...I don't know what I was thinking? Guess I got a bit too excited to hear someone had something for me. I'll call them back in the morning and hope they haven't shipped them yet. I'll need to get some clarification. Even the Wheel Mfg told me they would need to be like 74.8 or 74.9 in order to fit. Man, I'm really thinking about selling these rims if I can't get this fixed...no way I want to take the chance or damaging something on the car.

Update: I called the supplier back and they claim that they use a digital measurement that shows the difference being about a post-it note thickness. Unfortunately they shipped already yesterday so I'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got around to installing the hub centric rings and posting the results. As expected the rings were a slight bit too tight on the hub. To remedy this, I just got bored out the hole a bit until they slid on without any movement between the ring and hub and less binding. Thank god they were poly-carbonate and not aluminum. Put the wheels back on and re-torqued the lugs. Pretty simple.

It seems to have helped with the vibrations, although I still think I need an alignment to fully eliminate it. The car seemed to wander to the right a bit on the way home from work today.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sounds good. Did you use a cylinder hone to bore them or how was this accomplished?

·
Registered
487 Posts
imgntht said:
Finally got around to installing the hub centric rings and posting the results. As expected the rings were a slight bit too tight on the hub. To remedy this, I just got bored out the hole a bit until they slid on without any movement between the ring and hub and less binding. Thank god they were poly-carbonate and not aluminum. Put the wheels back on and re-torqued the lugs. Pretty simple.

It seems to have helped with the vibrations, although I still think I need an alignment to fully eliminate it. The car seemed to wander to the right a bit on the way home from work today.
Just my opinion but unless you had the proper tools to bore out the rings you should have sent them back and gotten ones that fit. I don't think that an alignment will help with the vibration.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have fancy tools, just some sandpaper to work them down slowly and evenly...didn't know there was such a science to it?

And getting "ones that fit" is the problem. GM was so kind to not only give us a brand new bolt pattern, but also a non-existent hub size as well when it comes to the rings(or so it would appear from all my research).

And I politely disagree that the alignment could help. While I also should have the balancing of the wheels rechecked, I have read multiple times that an alignment may reduce or eliminate a slight shimmy. Taken directly from Discount Tire's Website--"Alignment is one of the key maintenance factors in getting the most wear and performance from your tires. In addition, wheel alignment provides safe, predictable vehicle control as well as a smooth and comfortable ride that's free of pulling or vibration." I mentioned alignment mainly because the car seemed to wander to the right a bit. So I thought I may fix two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
imgntht said:
I don't have fancy tools, just some sandpaper to work them down slowly and evenly...didn't know there was such a science to it?

And getting "ones that fit" is the problem. GM was so kind to not only give us a brand new bolt pattern, but also a non-existent hub size as well when it comes to the rings(or so it would appear from all my research).

And I politely disagree that the alignment could help. While I also should have the balancing of the wheels rechecked, I have read multiple times that an alignment may reduce or eliminate a slight shimmy. Taken directly from Discount Tire's Website--"Alignment is one of the key maintenance factors in getting the most wear and performance from your tires. In addition, wheel alignment provides safe, predictable vehicle control as well as a smooth and comfortable ride that's free of pulling or vibration." I mentioned alignment mainly because the car seemed to wander to the right a bit. So I thought I may fix two birds with one stone.
I completly agree that an alignment would help with a slight shimmy and keep tire wear down. But my point is you have a fairly new vehicle and if the shimmy wasn't there before the new wheels an alignment isn't going to help now. My other point is that no matter how little you removed from the rings without the proper tools you will never get them centered and I believe this to be your problem. Anyway front end alignments are only like $55 at the local GMC dealer so it's not like it would be a complete waste of money to have a little peace of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts