GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, in another thread, somebody wanted to see some wasch pics from the next time I washed my Acadia using Optimum No Rinse (ONR). ONR is a solution that you put a few ounces into a bucket of water and use with a wash mitt and some microfiber drying towels to wash your Acadia a section at a time.

With all the snow this past week in St. Louis, the Acadia was pretty nasty. At first I was planning on taking it to the car wash to power spray some of the heavier, nastier stuff off. However, I received a new foam attachment for my power washer this past week, and it was about 40 degrees out, so I broke out the power washer to give it a pre-soak. Here are some pics:

So, I let the foam loose on it:

It was the first time I was using it, so still need to adjust how much soap/water to put in.

Wanted to note that I did the wheels, wheel wells, and tires with the foam cannon/power washer as well. I usually prefer to do this instead of with the ONR, but you can use the ONR to do these pieces. Just make sure to do them last. You wouldn't want to do get brake dust on yoru mitt/rinse bucket and potentially re-introduce it to your painted surfaces.

After rinsing it off, I was left with this:

I pulled it into the garage next and started the ONR wash.

I use 2 5 gal. buckets. The first one filled with 3 gallons of warm water and the 2nd one filled up just above the grit guard. The grit guard is there to rub your mitt against after doing each section. It helps knock some of the dirt and debris loose.

The wash mitt I use is a microfiber finger one. I picked up a few 3 packs last summer from Costco.

The above pic shows the solution bucket. I pour 3 capfulls of ONR into the bucket with 3 gal. of water. The other bucket is the rinse bucket.

I dunk the mitt into the solution bucket:

Do a section like this:

By section, I mean half the hood, or the windows of one side, or a door panel. You don't have to push real hard on the mitt, let the solution do the work for you. Go in long straight lines, not circles. Do the section once with one side of the mitt, flip it, and then go over the section again. After doing this, your section will look like this:

Then wipe it dry using the microfiber waffle weave towel like this:

Again, do long back and forth wipes. You don't have to wipe real hard, let the towels do the work. Do an initial wipe, flip the towel and then do another wipe to completely dry.

Then I dunk the mitt into the rinse bucket and rub each side against the grit guard a few times:

Then you're ready to do the next section the same way as above.

One of the coolest things is when you're drying the section, you'll notice there is absolutely no dirt that is left to come off on your drying towel. Here is a pic of a white drying towel before drying a section:

Here's the section to dry:

And here's the towel after drying the section. You'll notice that it's a little wet, but there's no dirt on it:

Here's a 50/50 shot of a section that I did against a section not done:

It does a pretty good job on windows as well as you can get away with not going over your windows with a separate cleaner.

Here's a couple of finished shots:

Carbon Metallic Flake:

So, that's pretty much it. You work your way from top to bottom as the bottom parts are dirtier along with the bumper areas. Just remember to use the two buckets, a grit guard in your rinse bucket, don't apply a lot of pressure, take your time, and have fun while you're doing it.

After I washed it using this method, I decided to go ahead and give it a wax using Collinites 476 paste wax. It's a sealant wax good for St. Louis nasty winters and I usually get about 6 months protection out of it. Here's a couple of finished shots after waxing:

If it's really cold out, I do have a little space heater I'll run in my garage, close the door, and then do it as well. I've ONR'd at night before as well. I remember, we initially had our eye on a blue Acadia, but insisted on washing it first to make sure the paint was in good shape. I'm glad I did, It had about a quarter sized scratch on the hood. My neighbor works at the dealer, and he brought it home, and I washed it that night in my garage while it was pitch black outside.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this write-up and it encourages you to keep your Acadia clean even in the cold winter months. If there are any questions/comments, just let me know. Now it's time for a cold beer! :beer: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: How to wash your Acadia using Optimum No Rinise (ONR)

Impressive; nice thread with great pics. Where did you buy the ONR?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I got my ONR at http://www.detailersdomain.com. That's where I buy about 80% of my gear. Phil, the owner, has great customer service, prices, and ships quicker than you can say, "direct injection". Also, use the promo code of DB for 10% off. That's the discount code for http://www.detailingbliss.com.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts

dj......

Thx for the nice write-up. My favorite pics were the sides of your Acadia reflecting the neighborhood. You most definately will have the cleanest / sharpest AWD in town! Looks beautiful. I washed mine tonight. No snow in Santa Barbara to contend with. I don't have the power washer, but my hose bib that is used for washing the car is also plumbed to my soft water. I do the two bucket routine, and dry 85% of the water w/ a terry-cloth towel. Then I use a microfiber towel & some pump spray McGuires for a simple "light" wax as I do the detail drying.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
124 Posts

Good pictures. I live in the STL area too, but I am going to wait until the plowed piles of snow melt from the roads, parking lots, etc. before washing. With the melting and water running across the road, 1 trip to the Bluffs and the Acadia will look like it did before the wash.

·
Registered
79 Posts

I have a real bad hard water problem out here in TX :banghead:. Once I get softener hooked up I will wash at home. Tried once and could not dry the car fast enough to keep the water depisits from shwing up! Until the softener, I am stuck using the soft cloth CW and then detailer when I get home. Not sure how this ONR stuff would work with our hard water???

·
Registered
681 Posts

One of the descriptions I read says that ONR can be used as a water softener:

Water Conditioner. Add 1 ounce of No Rinse Wash & Shine to wash water made with your regular car soap. It will soften and condition the water and enhance the performance of your regular car wash. Your vehicle will be slicker and shinier than using the car wash alone!

How does ONR work on tires, plastic etc...?

Does ONR leave a slick or slippery garage floor? I do not have good drainage in garage and was afraid this might leave the floor slippery.

Thanks.

john

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

On my black plastic molding, ONR works just the same as it would on paint. So, there are no worries there. For tires, I've used it with a tire brush with decent success. It's not the same as doing it with an APC, brush, and a hose, but when it's freezing out, it gets the job done. No worries on the garage floor either. It's basically the same as if you would drip water on your garage floor. it dries with no residue.

·
Registered
423 Posts

dj,
that was amazing. i think i noticed the pores of your skin in your reflection ;D. i have never had a vehicle that clean, gotta get me some!

·
Registered
614 Posts

Where did you find that thing that helps knock the dirt off of the wash mitt that goes in the bottom of the bucket?

Also, I noticed my weed whacker hanging on the wall in the reflection, can you return that if you're done with it?! :D

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I get most of my stuff at DetailersDomain.com. The guy who operates it has first-rate service, prices, selection, all that good stuff. He's usually running some type of sale, but you can always use DB for 10% most everything on his site. The DB stands for DetailingBliss.com.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

dj_jonnyv said:
Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, I get most of my stuff at DetailersDomain.com. The guy who operates it has first-rate service, prices, selection, all that good stuff. He's usually running some type of sale, but you can always use DB for 10% most everything on his site. The DB stands for DetailingBliss.com.
Your ride looks awesome and it just seems to be too easy to be real ;D

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

Wow, I just got around to reading this thread and your Acadia looks fabulous! You want to come up here and try that stuff out on my Acadia? ;D Mine was so dirty last week, that you couldn't even read the letters on my license plate and I was having a hard time seeing out the windows. I had no choice but to run it through a wash or chance getting pulled over by a state trooper on my way home from work. *eek*

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Web Raven said:
Wow, I just got around to reading this thread and your Acadia looks fabulous! You want to come up here and try that stuff out on my Acadia? ;D Mine was so dirty last week, that you couldn't even read the letters on my license plate and I was having a hard time seeing out the windows. I had no choice but to run it through a wash or chance getting pulled over by a state trooper on my way home from work. *eek*
This is a sign that you need some ONR for the Red Jewel

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

jsimms said:
Your ride looks awesome and it just seems to be too easy to be real ;D
As for the easy part, I hear ya, that was my exact same thought. I was thinking it has to be some sort of gimmick or something, like that Perma-Seal crap they sell at auto shows. But, trust me, this stuff is the real deal. I've had my Acadia since last September, and have ONR washed it about 5-6 times, and there are absolutely no flaws on the paint from it.

·
Registered
34 Posts

You want to come to NE and wash mine??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

BMWhitesel said:
You want to come to NE and wash mine??
Sure, if it involves going to a Huskers game!!! Actually, I believe they'll be playing Mizzou in Columbia this year. I went to a MU/NU game quite a few years ago up in Lincoln and it was a great time. You guys should see the Acadia now. It's absolutely filthy. But, I'm off work tomorrow and planning on doing some washing as long as it's not raining. Might through some wax on it as well.

One other thing I wanted to point out about washing the Acadia this way and my other standard 2 bucket way with a hose is that I still have no swirl marks on it after 7 months of regular washes. A little investment, extra time and car goes a long way.

·
Registered
34 Posts

We actually have season tickets to the Huskers, Club level great seats, but no extra tickets!!!!!

THanks

dj_jonnyv said:
Sure, if it involves going to a Huskers game!!! Actually, I believe they'll be playing Mizzou in Columbia this year. I went to a MU/NU game quite a few years ago up in Lincoln and it was a great time. You guys should see the Acadia now. It's absolutely filthy. But, I'm off work tomorrow and planning on doing some washing as long as it's not raining. Might through some wax on it as well.

One other thing I wanted to point out about washing the Acadia this way and my other standard 2 bucket way with a hose is that I still have no swirl marks on it after 7 months of regular washes. A little investment, extra time and car goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts