GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Im new here and just bought my Acadia 2008 3 days ago (2nd hand). I love the car and the ride! I would agree with the transmission lag, whenever you need power i.e. overtaking.

I have searched and can't seem to find any discussion about my query.

Can anybody help me how to deactive the "delayed headlamps". This is when you turn off your car, go outside then lock it with the remote. Afterwards, all the exterior lights will turn on for 30secs. As per manual "car will provide light as you leave the area".

I don't have DIC feature to deactive it. What I read from the manual is to set Exterior Lamps switch to either park or headlamps, to bypass the delayed headlamps.... :-\ ??? :eek: :'(

By the way, I don't like this feature as it is grabbing other people attention.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Ronil

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Based on your IP address, I'm figuring you are in Kuwait and as such have an export model. This could make a difference in some things about the vehicle which is why we like to know location, year, model, options, etc.

After reading the US model 2008 owner manual on page 3-15, I'd suggest leaving the headlamp switch in the off position (not automatic). This will prevent the headlamp delay:
The feature is activated when the headlamps are on due to the automatic headlamps control feature described previously in this section, and when the ignition is turned off.

We have a thread about transmission updates for the several model years. It is here in the FAQ section.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blue_2009_SLT2 ,

Pardon me for not giving location and other stuffs. Yes I am in Kuwait and the Car is from Kuwait GMC showroom.

From you: "After reading the US model 2008 owner manual on page 3-15, I'd suggest leaving the headlamp switch in the off position (not automatic). This will prevent the headlamp delay:"

When I turn the exterior light dial counter clockwise towards OFF (which is on the left most by the way), it will reach off position but will go back to AUTO once i remove my hand. I noticed in my display panel "AUTO light is OFF" message will apprear. But if i swithed of the car and turn it back on, it will turn back to its default ON.

This will go to my second problem when driving during day time with AUTO light ON. Once Im in a gasoline station, my head lamp just suddenly turned on since place is not too bright.

Does anybody has the same situation? It this the way your exterior light dial behaves also?? Maybe mine is faulty that it will not stay to OFF? There is a spring feeling when you turn it, believing its normal.

Thanks,
Ronil

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I don't have the same model, and rarely look at the light switch. It sounds like it is operating normally, but I will wait for a member with a 2008 SLE to confirm this information. I'll have to look at our 2009 SLT2 and see if it operates as your does.

The switch returning to "Auto" after the ignition is turned off then back on could be a safety regulation due to our government thinking most of us are not bright enough to know when to turn on our headlights. :sunny:

On my 2009 Dodge, the headlight switch has both manual (off) and automatic as well as parking and headlight on positions for a total of 4 positions.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I looked at our headlight switch. It is the same as yours. The "off" position is spring-loaded. The knob returns to "auto" after being turned to "off".

The only ways I see to overcome this deficiency is to either:
1) Modify the switch to remove the spring (may not work since there is no notch for the knob to stay in the off position) or
2) Find another model that uses the same type of switch and wiring plug (or adapt the wiring) and does not have this limitation.

The Acadia "headlamp switch" on GM Parts Direct is around $25 plus shipping if anyone wants to buy one and play with it.
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Switches - Headlamp switch
Headlamp switch, acadia, enclave, w/o heated w/s nozzle
Years: 07-09
List: $42.41
Sell: $25.15

If one really wanted an improvement, they could add the headlight switch AND MyGig nav radio from a 2009 Dodge into their Acadia. :poke:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Seems like it could be done, but with some hassle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I don't have the same model, and rarely look at the light switch. It sounds like it is operating normally, but I will wait for a member with a 2008 SLE to confirm this information. I'll have to look at our 2009 SLT2 and see if it operates as your does.

The switch returning to "Auto" after the ignition is turned off then back on could be a safety regulation due to our government thinking most of us are not bright enough to know when to turn on our headlights. :sunny:

On my 2009 Dodge, the headlight switch has both manual (off) and automatic as well as parking and headlight on positions for a total of 4 positions.
-> LOL :D :D :angel:

Thanks for suggesting some alternative in fixing my problem. Wow, how diffucult would it be to have an OFF position in that exterior light DIAL. Can't understand what is in the mind of those GMC Engineers while designing it. :banghead: :banghead: :blob: :banghead: :banghead:

Ah, one option is to install DIC option in may car.... :-\ :'( :'( :'( :eek:hno: :confused:

Friends, experts... anymore suggestions? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts
dinc said:
Can't understand what is in the mind of those GMC Engineers while designing it. :banghead:
This is a throw-back from NAFTA, I believe, and we can point our fingers at the Canadians for this. Vehicles made for travel in Canada are designed to have their headlights on all the time. The 'W' is like that and so are any cars made for export to our northern neighbor. So - now we all drive cars made for Canada, and California, and I guess any other country that starts with 'C.' That just happens to include "Cuwait" because the Acadia exterior lightning engineer learned geopgraphy using phonetics!
:wine:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My 2009 Challenger was built in Canada, eh? I don't know much aboot the future of the model. If they keep making them, I suspect they will also have a switch similar to the GM one.

My '95 and '97 Trans Ams were also built there, eh? While the '95 never had the Daytime Running Light (DRL) function, the '97 did. Since it had hidden headlights, what GM did there was turn on the brighter front turn signal elements when the motor was running & the parking brake was off. Apparently this was good enough at the time for Canada, eh? even though the colour was different.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts