GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some guidance on how to take an engine oil sample through the dipstick hole on my '09 Acadia engine. I just bought the vehicle a few weeks ago and changed the oil after 500 miles. I always take oil samples on all my vehicles between oil changes to monitor progression of the oil condition. For some reason, I cannot seem to get any oil out through the dipstick hole. I am using a standard vacuum sample pump with 1/4" tubing, and have never had any problems with this before. It seems that the tubing reaches a point where I cannot push it in anymore, but before the oil level is reached. Of course I have checked the tubing and made sure the sample bottle is securely screwed onto the vacuum pump.

Has anyone else who takes oil samples had this problem? How do others take engine oil samples between oil changes?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Several members perform this function regularly. I will link some threads I found using "sample" in the search function as described in my signature. Probably the fastest way to get an answer would be for you to send a message to them requesting this info.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sorry, I can't help. I have always done mine while changing the oil so I just put the little container under the stream of oil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
ccheeks said:
I am looking for some guidance on how to take an engine oil sample through the dipstick hole on my '09 Acadia engine. I just bought the vehicle a few weeks ago and changed the oil after 500 miles. I always take oil samples on all my vehicles between oil changes to monitor progression of the oil condition. For some reason, I cannot seem to get any oil out through the dipstick hole. I am using a standard vacuum sample pump with 1/4" tubing, and have never had any problems with this before. It seems that the tubing reaches a point where I cannot push it in anymore, but before the oil level is reached. Of course I have checked the tubing and made sure the sample bottle is securely screwed onto the vacuum pump.

Has anyone else who takes oil samples had this problem? How do others take engine oil samples between oil changes?

Thanks
Yes, I also have run into that. I have a vacume pump that I use also for sampling and to remove the majority of oil befor I do an oil change and I cannot get the tube to work on the Acadia either. It works fine on my other three cars as well as the other half dozen cars I've used it it on over the years. Must be a tight bend in there that the dip stick can navigate but the tube from the pump cannot.

·
Registered
284 Posts
zman said:
I have always done mine while changing the oil so I just put the little container under the stream of oil.
That's what I have done up till now. But it always bothered me that I would do a complete oil change and I would take a sample and send it off for analysis, but of course already having replaced the oil and not knowing the wear results ???. So for example maybe the oil could have stayed in longer or knowing the results would determine my choice of oil.

So I purchased a vacuum pump from Blackstone hoping to be able to use it on this 09 DI engine (I havent tried yet).

·
Registered
284 Posts
ccheeks said:
I just bought the vehicle a few weeks ago and changed the oil after 500 miles. I always take oil samples on all my vehicles between oil changes to monitor progression of the oil condition.
You and I have very similar situations. That is both our Lambdas are probly close in their build dates and like you I sent off an oil sample for analysis at around the 500 mile mark. I am hoping you will post your results. Here are mine:

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=387.new;topicseen#new

·
Registered
468 Posts
copperbeech said:
That's what I have done up till now. But it always bothered me that I would do a complete oil change and I would take a sample and send it off for analysis, but of course already having replaced the oil and not knowing the wear results ???. So for example maybe the oil could have stayed in longer or knowing the results would determine my choice of oil.
I follow you but I guess my viewpoint is why spend $20 on an analysis just to determine whether or not I should change my oil? I do the analysis as an occasional spot check to see if I can extend the change intervals the next time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
zman said:
I follow you but I guess my viewpoint is why spend $20 on an analysis just to determine whether or not I should change my oil? I do the analysis as an occasional spot check to see if I can extend the change intervals the next time.
There seems evidence that (these) DI engines aren't easy on oil. So I guess I am willing to spend monies on regular UOAs in the beginning until I see all is well and then I will adhere to the OLM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies to my original post. I have concluded based on the feedback I received that it is impossible to suction an engine oil sample using a vacuum pump through the dipstick on this engine. There must be a severe bend in the dipstick tube that the dipstick can navigate but the sample pump tubing cannot.

I am attaching my sample results for anyone who would like to see. This is the factory fill oil changed at 593 miles. The results are not that good. I am not that concerned about the wear metals, which I will attribute to break-in (69 ppm Cu, 21 ppm Fe, 107 ppm Moly). I am much more concerned about the contaminants: 116 ppm Silicon (I will be changing the factory air filter; but this could also be due to poor cleanliness during the factory oil fill or a dirty sample bottle). The Sodium is my biggest worry: 239 ppm (Sodium is usually due to a coolant leak, typically in combination with Potassium or Boron, neither of which are as high, but there is some of both in the sample).

Has anyone seen high Sodium in a sample of the GM factory fill engine oil (perhaps Sodium is part of the engine oil formulation.....although I don't think I have ever seen Sodium used as an engine oil additive)?

At any rate, my next oil sample will provide much more insight as to which issues are factory/break-in related, and which are actually mechanical/operational issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
ccheeks said:
I am attaching my sample results for anyone who would like to see. This is the factory fill oil changed at 593 miles. The results are not that good. I am not that concerned about the wear metals, which I will attribute to break-in (69 ppm Cu, 21 ppm Fe, 107 ppm Moly). I am much more concerned about the contaminants: 116 ppm Silicon (I will be changing the factory air filter; but this could also be due to poor cleanliness during the factory oil fill or a dirty sample bottle).
Did you take a look at my UOA that I referenced above for the same engine after almost the same amount of miles? The wear #s are similar i.e. 42 Cu, 26 Fe. And silicon is 101! There is nothing out of the ordinary for an analysis of a FF after 500 miles. The high silicon is likely due to "sand casted parts" and such.

ccheeks said:
The Sodium is my biggest worry: 239 ppm (Sodium is usually due to a coolant leak, typically in combination with Potassium or Boron, neither of which are as high, but there is some of both in the sample).
Yes my sodium is very low in comparison to yours. Can I recommend that you post your UOA over at BITOG in the UOA forum found here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=3

It might give you some peace of mind to send this UOA to Terry Dyson at http://www.dysonanalysis.com/ who could do much more in depth analysis.

ccheeks said:
At any rate, my next oil sample will provide much more insight as to which issues are factory/break-in related, and which are actually mechanical/operational issues.
You and I have a unique opportunity to compare the same engine at similar intervals. I plan do the next UOA at around 1500 miles (i.e. 1000 miles after the first). Any chance you could do similarly?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If one were to put a Fumoto valve in the drain plug, one could drain out some excess oil, take a sample and then put the drained oil back in to the vehicle if you were interested in keeping that oil. I am aware of a few people who do this to get their sample because they don't have the suction device.

·
Registered
284 Posts
MedicRxDoc said:
If one were to put a Fumoto valve in the drain plug, one could drain out some excess oil, take a sample and then put the drained oil back in to the vehicle if you were interested in keeping that oil.
That is a good idea.

·
Registered
284 Posts
ccheeks,

I notice on your UOA that this sample was 10W30. It looks like you are in the wamer south which might justify the use of a 10W but you might try 5W30 as recommended in the owners manual and shown on the fill cap.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
copperbeech said:
I notice on your UOA that this sample was 10W30. It looks like you are in the wamer south which might justify the use of a 10W but you might try 5W30 as recommended in the owners manual and shown on the fill cap.
Wasn't this factory fill? I wonder if that is a typo and should be 5W30

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
ccheeks,

Don't worry about factory fill results.
Do 2000 miles on your current fill and send for resample.
Call the oil manufacturer's tech service, and they will answer question about additives.
Mobil uses sodium in their oils as an additive.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
ccheeks,

Don't worry about factory fill results.
I agree *except* that I have posted a UOA for the same engine with almost identical mileage and my sodium is not even close to ccheeks. That alone warrants futher inquiry. as you say just below:

Copperhead13 said:
Call the oil manufacturer's tech service, and they will answer question about additives.
Copperhead13 said:
Mobil uses sodium in their oils as an additive.
Are we sure that Lambda engines get Mobil 1 from the factory. I know the Cadillac with the "same" DI engine get M1 synthetic but I am not convinced this is true for Lambdas.

·
Super Moderator
22,420 Posts
copperbeech said:
....... So I purchased a vacuum pump from Blackstone hoping to be able to use it on this 09 DI engine (I havent tried yet).
You might want to try 3/16 PTFE (teflon) tubing with your pump - it's a bit smaller diameter and stout enough to make the bend in the dipstick tube.

·
Registered
284 Posts
copperbeech said:
You and I have a unique opportunity to compare the same engine at similar intervals. I plan do the next UOA at around 1500 miles (i.e. 1000 miles after the first). Any chance you could do similarly?
And here is my second UOA. I am pleased to see the wear #s decrease even with the slight more mileage in this interval as compared to the first. Because of this expected trend this current fill of more Q will now be left in for the basic 3k miles.

(The FF was replaced with Q Horsepower 5W30 and again I used a PF48)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts