GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SLE with a standard non-Bose sytem.
First thing I did was to replace the factory speakers (stock ones look and sound very el cheap-o..i posted some pics of the speakers somewhere) and I have installed an aftermarket amplifier. That helps to improve the sound a lot. Installing an aftermarket headunit will take it to another level. I have not done this yet.

I have been looking for options to replace the factory unit but as much as possible and I do NOT want to lose the
Onstar Turn by Turn navigation (not yet as it is still free ;D or not at all). I do understand that there is an available
GM harness that would retain the Onstar features (including warning chimes, blinker sound etc) when you replace the factory unit with an aftermarket HU but the Onstar text (arrow, distance readout, etc) can not be displayed.
Is there a way to display the Onstar text in any aftermarket HU?

I have been scouring the web for solutions..came out nothing so far.
So here are my options:

1. Retain factory unit and install a CD-Changer. However, I do not like the idea of using an FM modulator.
I prefer a direct connection for optimum sound. There are CD changers that have audio outputs.
Is there an aux input at the rear of the factory unit (dangling wire infront of the console is a no go for me)?

2. Forget Onstar, buy aftermarket Navigation system (= expensive)

3. Keep the factory unit and install an aftermarket HU for all audio purposes. The factory unit will only serve as Onstar display. Is it even possible?

Is there a way to display the Onstar text into an aftermarket monitor? Or is there a separate device that allows display of the Onstar text?
As always, your valuable inputs are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about installing the radio from an SLT into your SLE? It's got the 6 disk changer and still retains the OnStar text capability. Just a thought...

Mike

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure if you got the impression that I'm looking for a CD changer.
My real purpose is to upgrade from the factory radio to an aftermarket unit and rand still retain the Onstar text. It could either be a single disc or 6-disc changer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Having had my radio out a few times, I am certain there is no direct input other the front of the radio. However, there is the GM IPod adaptor coming out (PAL?) that I would assume would have a rear auxiliary input because I think the IPod will sit in the center dash console and the wire will go in there. This could probably be modified to accept another aux input rather than an IPod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts