GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got four new tire installed. Front passenger tire showing as --- when i tried resetting it by tpms learning and blow out air from front driver side tire. Dont heard any horn i tried for 10 20 sec still no sound. Am i doing something wrong. I followed the following instructions.

1) Put key in ignition and set to the Run position, but do not start.
2) Hold both the lock and unlock buttons on remote at the same time until the horn chirps.*
3) You will see a message on the DIC about tire mode (or TPMS mode) being active.
4) Starting with the Drivers Front tire, let air out of the tire until the horn chirps once. Move clockwise around the car and repeat.
4a) TPMS Programming Pattern: Drivers Front, Passenger Front, Passenger Rear, Drivers Rear.
5) The horn will chirp twice on the last tire.*
6) You're done. Now just air up the tires to manufacturers specs and hit the road.

· Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Most likely, the battery is dead in the TPMS which shows ---. The only way to fix that is buying and installing a new sensor.

· Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
No relearn procedure can be completed until the dead TPMS is replaced.

· Registered
830 Posts
I'm not sure why it matters to know which tire reads what. If one is low, just check them all when it's time to get the compressor out. It's likely that others need some air to make them all even anyway. The numbers are nice to have in the display, but their location isn't necessary IMO.

· Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I'm not sure why it matters to know which tire reads what. If one is low, just check them all when it's time to get the compressor out. It's likely that others need some air to make them all even anyway. The numbers are nice to have in the display, but their location isn't necessary IMO.
I'm with you in the line of thought. A simple 'low tire pressure' warning light makes it so much easier. But HEY, techies must have their toys!! :hilarious:

· Registered
8,910 Posts
Ill be fiddling with TPMS this weekend.
sisters buick has had " -- "on dash and something about servicing TPMS.
I replaced the alternator on her car last week and 3 of 4 units are registering again. Guess disconnecting battery also helped.

the last one, still shows --.

I ordered a used TPMS sensor from ebay for $8.
Ill be taking the wheel off and taking it to a tire shop to have it installed, then ill use my tool to relearn the sensors.
------------------------------------------

(I also noticed 2 of her motor mounts are shot, her washer fluid level sensor is dead, and the hood strut failed (hood slammed shut while we had it open- luckily we werent under it).

10 yr old Buick Lucerne with the 3800 V6.

I ordered the parts from Rock Auto.

· Registered
4,573 Posts
from like 2012 up that does not work any longer.

you must use a tool.

my 2010 would work with letting air in or out.

my 2012 would not work that way so I had to buy a tool.

tools can be had for about $60
Not True.

Air in / Air out method worked on my 2012, my 2015 loaner Buick Enclave, and with my 2017 New Model.

The air in / air out method only works on GM original tire pressure sensors. I had to purchase the tool for my 2017 winter rims, they have aftermarket tire pressure sensors. In the fall when I install the winter rims I need to use the tool. In the spring when I install the summer rims, I don't need to use the tool

· Registered
8,910 Posts
thanks.... yeh the tpms sensor was toasted... cost me 100 bucks to change it.

Useless thing... life was pretty good before these stupid gadgets

Just to be sure I was replacing the right sensor- I tried my tool, to relearn the bad TPMS sensor... no honk. I went to the back tire- and it learned the sensor right away.

I took the wheel off, and took it to a little tire shop.
$10 for the removal and replacement.
The used sensor was learned right away when I went through the relearn procedure.
Well worth the price. $8 for used ebay sensor (the newer design which is smaller) and $10 for R/R.
When we arrived at shop, there was a man who was told one of his sensors was dead.
He asked how much for a new one- $75. Yikes!

· Registered
2,020 Posts
Not True.

Air in / Air out method worked on my 2012, my 2015 loaner Buick Enclave, and with my 2017 New Model.

The air in / air out method only works on GM original tire pressure sensors. I had to purchase the tool for my 2017 winter rims, they have aftermarket tire pressure sensors. In the fall when I install the winter rims I need to use the tool. In the spring when I install the summer rims, I don't need to use the tool
Does anyone know if this is true for a '19? Seems to have worked for him.
I bought a set of used Acadia wheels, identical to mine, for my winters. Had the winters mounted... 2 days later I got a service tire pressure system, all 4 show --
Will this work, or do I need a reset tool? Recommendations if so?

· Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
... do I need a reset tool? Recommendations if so?
The 'reset tool' should work on nearly every make/model equipped with TPMS until the system goes through a major redesign or frequency change. Seems like the tool would be a good addition to any DIYer's tool box.

Reactions: Grantv

· Registered
8,910 Posts
I remember reading somewhere- while searching for some replacement TMPS sensors. It had a sidenote.
Led me to believe that the new updated sensors for my 2010--- could NOT be relearned via the air in/out method. It requires a TPMS tool to activate the relearn mode on the sensor.
Even though my 2010 can do the air in out method--- that applies to the original part # sensors.
The newer sensors are more compact and no longer have this relearn feature.

· Registered
3,487 Posts
K, thanks guys. Only wondered as he said it worked on his '17, whatever '17 that may be.
I'll peek around for a tool, but any reco's in the meantime would be great.
Amazon an Ebay have many knock off TPMS reset devices. I bought one and it works.
The trouble is with making a recommendation (on the lower cost knock offs) that often the supplier changes to to the vendors. So one never knows if the latest "version" works as well as previously sold models.
All are pretty much listed as EL 50448.

I'll PM you and let you know what I bought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts