1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Items you will need.

Serpentine Belt- I bought an ACDELCO Part # 6K938- $24.57
½ inch ratchet.

(note I have 2 in the pic). Make sure the one you have is a narrow head. From the pic below- you can see one of my ratchets is some cheapy brand that is bigger. This one will NOT fit in the area between the tensioner and the vehicle body.

The 3rd item is a paint can lid remover. It actually does a great job of removing the push pins. (Home depot gives these away).

Flashlight.

3 ton jack.

Jackstand.

To change the belt-

Block rear drivers side wheel.
Raise and place a jackstand on the front passenger side of car.
Remove the wheel.

Once you have access to the wheel well- remove the 2 push pins from the splash guard. (you can use a small screwdriver—but you may damage the pins)
This will allow you to fold back the bottom part of splash shield- giving you a straight view of the side if the engine.

You now have access to the belt and pulleys.

Use the flashlight and take a look at the routing of the belt- it will make it easier when you put it back on.

Place the ratchet in the tensioner and move it to give the belt slack-
Using your other hand- pull the belt off any of the pulleys. Obviously the one you can get to the easiest is the best.
The belt can now be removed.
Note that youll have to slightly bend the belt where it mounts on the tensioners pulley and the engine block.
With the belt off--- take some time to inspect the water pump area for signs of leakage.

To put on the belt- simply reverse the process.
You may want to print out the image below of the engine block--- or use the belt routing diagram in the owners manual and have it next to you while you re route the belt.

I found it easier to route the belt on all the pulleys- except the biggest one on the bottom.
When you apply force to the tensioner (I was laying on my back)--- you can use your other hand to route the belt onto the last pulley.

Once the pulley was back on and I visually followed the belt bath—I felt confident it was back on…- I cleared tools from the wheel well area and started the car- this to make sure the belt was routed correctly and to have it seat on the pulley grooves. Turn off engine.

I then put the splash shield flap back on. Wheel back on and lowered the vehicle.

The owners manual says----

First Engine Oil Change After
150,000 Miles
. Engine accessory drive belt
inspection for fraying, excessive
cracks, or obvious damage and
replacement, if needed.

So its up to you if you want to wait till 150,000.

My Traverse is now 5 yrs old. 84,000 miles…
I replaced it now. I wont have to worry about it again.

Time to do this?
Probably 1 hr with gathering stuff and taking pics etc.
I did not have directions. Figured it out by looking.

With directions- and knowing which tools are needed..
I could do it in about 20 min total. Including taking wheels off- and torqueing them back up.

I had the hood opened- and looked from above- you cant see much looking down.
It seems the wheel well is the better option.

Does the wheel need to come off?
Maybe not? You may be able to turn it- and have access to that area.
But with the wheel off- I was able to lay down comfortably and apply force to the ratchet.
If its on a lift—maybe that’s where the wheel can stay on?

The belt looked OK. Few small cracks. Ive seen much worse.

The old and new.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That's a great writeup. I can't believe there is no belt path under the hood. Every GM vehicle I've owned up until this one has had a "Belt Path" sticker somewhere under the hood. I removed mine thinking it was just as simple to put it back but, I had a heck of a time getting it all lined up. Thanks for the write up though, this will help others as they go to do this task.
Having a picture of the belt path is a bonus for when you are putting it back on.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah--- I too did not find the belt path image.

I know on a previous post- I said-- look on the plastic shield.
When I looked myself -- not there..
Though yesterday I checked again.... sanity check.

then used the manual.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Only those of us old enough to remember the old V-belts truly appreciate the longevity of today's serpentine belts. ;D Nice write-up rbarrios!

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
NWAcadia said:
I can't believe there is no belt path under the hood. Every GM vehicle I've owned up until this one has had a "Belt Path" sticker somewhere under the hood.
GM never intended for owner's to change their own belt; hence no belt path sticker

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
FORUM GM said:
GM never intended for owner's to change their own belt; hence no belt path sticker
This has been an on-going thing with nearly all auto manufacturers for years. They all suffer from engineering brainfarts. :yikes:

·
Registered
829 Posts
150k mi seems extremely long for a belt... I would begin inspecting it around 50k mi and definitely replace between 75k and 100k mi.

·
Registered
426 Posts
jdstarns said:
I went through this when I replaced my water pump. It's a PITA. Make sure you have a long-handle ratchet.
I think...you might have been able to get your WP done through the dealership under the special warranty offered on the WP. Oh well...could have, would have, should have.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
did not use a breaker bar..
but did put my weight ONTO it-
meaning im laying down on my back and pulled with my arm-- sort of lifting my back off the ground...
just enough---- that with my other hand I was able to loop the belt on the lowest pulley....

couple days later-- I saw a Serpentine belt laying in the middle of the street on the yellow line..... snapped.

·
Registered
58 Posts
janaya3 said:
I think...you might have been able to get your WP done through the dealership under the special warranty offered on the WP. Oh well...could have, would have, should have.
I don't have a lot of faith in GM as of late. I was on the hook for 100% of the transmission replacement all because I didn't choose to use a GM dealership. Sorry, GM knows it has issues with these vehicles and many owners, like myself, have been on the hook as well.

I don't have any faith in the GM Customer Service reps on here either, sorry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.