GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove my dome light to intall an overhead DVD player. Does anyone know? I really don't want to break it.

ANYONE KNOW?

BTW. I found a new (just released) overhead DVD player that is a good fit for the small sction between the front and back sunroofs.
Not only is it compact with a low profile, it still features a 9" pivot screen, SD slot and USB at a price UNDER $200. There are so many dinosaurs out there in this field.

This one rocks:

PYLE PLRD92

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLRD92

Google the model number and you find is under $200. I used millionbuy.com

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
How will you wire the sound?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have the DVD player so I cannot try this, but the manual says the following:

Reading Lamp Replacement:
1. Carefully use a plastic flat bladed tool, and release the clips retaining the reading lamp assembly to the headliner.
2) Grasp the reading lamp assembly and pull downward to disengage the retainers securing the reading lamp assembly to the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Hope that helps.

GAR

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copperhead13 said:
How will you wire the sound?
I will mostly use IR headphones. It also has its own speakers (if enabled) as well as FM modulation. Later I will run a video only cable from my Kenwood 8120 Navigation with DVD. The in this case the video would play on the screen, but full 5.1 dolby on board. Essentially, I will have 2 DVD Players.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GAR said:
I have the DVD player so I cannot try this, but the manual says the following:

Reading Lamp Replacement:
1. Carefully use a plastic flat bladed tool, and release the clips retaining the reading lamp assembly to the headliner.
2) Grasp the reading lamp assembly and pull downward to disengage the retainers securing the reading lamp assembly to the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

Hope that helps.

GAR

What I fugured...so now I'll have a little more confidence before I pry to hard. Thank you.

This is a perfect location as the dome light will provide power to my DVD and I hope to not have to make a cut in the headliner.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok it was a piece of cake.

There are easy to push retaining clips on the forward side of the light (see pic). Just press them in a bit with a screw driver and the front side of the light will come down. Then I was stuck for a few minutes as I was looking for the same clips on the backside. However, just pull down on each end of the light and she then pops right out. The 2 tension clips on the top were the only thing else holding it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Glad that worked for you. Let us know how the rest of the install goes.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm actually glad you posted this because that was my next question. We replaced the liftgate lights with white LEDs since one was already blown out. And it's SO bright white that the rest of the lights look odd now in comparison. So we were just looking at the rear dome lights yesterday trying to figure out how to get them down so we can order LEDs for them as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Do you have the part number for the LED replacement?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
GAR said:
Do you have the part number for the LED replacement?
Not yet since we haven't pulled it down yet to find out what kind of bulb it is. Not sure if it's the same bulb as the liftgate or not.

I can get you the part number for the LED we used on the liftgate once I get home tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts