GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting my Acadia very soon and was wondering if anyone could explain what it means to "ride it easy" or whatever. I've seen posts on here from new owners who said when they first broke in their Acadia, they didn't use the brake hard, and they rode it easy... or something to that effect. What exactly does that mean? ??? How do you not use the brake hard, etc? I'm a typical chick who doesn't know a lot about cars and how to drive them. But I want to learn so I take the best care of this one!!! Any tips would be great!

By the way, I just got word that my Acadia shipped on the 11th. (April) Anyone know how long it takes to ship? Can't wait!! :blob:

·
Registered
112 Posts
You should be gentle with your new baby (or any new car) for the first 1000 miles. That means no jack rabbit starts, no hard braking stops and if you are getting AWD, keep it under 55 mph for the first 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I am not an expert, this is only what I have heard and read in my life.

Some have said the break-in period for a new engine is the first 500 miles.

It has been said that they don't want you to maintain a constant speed for an extended period of time (don't set
your cruise contorl for 55 mph for 75 miles, or maintain a constant RPM)

Don't exceed 55mph for the first 500 miles.

Don't be in a hurry to leave a stopped position or speed past someone (ease from a stop light instead of gunning and racing the engine)

These are only things I have heard from others in the past, I have also heard to just drive it like you plan on driving while you own it, nothing more and nothing less.

I found this link talking about corvettes but I imagine the principle of breaking in the vehicle would be the same
http://wheeltalk.fancal.net/?p=449

2 other links from acadiaforum
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2477.0
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3508.0

·
Registered
423 Posts
Break it in like your gonna drive it. That is what I have always done with my motocross bikes! That theroy probably doesnt apply to a 40k vehicle, but I do it that way anyways and have NEVER had a problem. Nobody really goes by the break in rules to a T anyways, so why worry?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I wouldn't say nobody. I followed the break in rules to a T and even stayed under 50 mph with my AWD just to be extra sure. :)

Of course, I did this to be extra safe. My guess is that unless you really push it hard, or immediately get out on the flat highway at one constant speed for the first 500 miles, it will probably be OK.

Then again, the manual says to break it in, so I did. :angel:

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll tell ya that 500miles is gonna be sooooo long.. You're gonna be itching to get over it.. ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
kram said:
I'll tell ya that 500miles is gonna be sooooo long.. You're gonna be itching to get over it.. ;D
That is so true. I drove it back and forth to work and took the long back road routes. We then went for "drives" every night just out on back roads and through town. It took almost 10 days to get the 500 on, but now that it is over, I'm glad we did it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am no expert also, but as a newbie owner of a 2008 Acadia SLT1 AWD, I am following
the owner's manual recommendations of 55mph for the first 500 miles. Not sure what the
suggested mph is for the FWD model. Also giving myself an extra cushion behind traffic
so as to avoid potential hard braking. I'm also using back roads to work to keep within
the recommended 55mph. Getting to 500miles has been a crawl, I'm only half way there,
but I intend to drive this this CUV into the ground, so I'm going to do what is recommended
in the manual. :cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips and info. I can't imagine how hard staying under 55 mph will be!! :eek:hno: I live in San Diego and we take freeways EVERYWHERE. Literally. Work, shop, friend's houses.... And I definately will not be making any new friends being the slow poke on the freeway. Oh well. From what most people say, it will be worth it. But I won't make any promises. ;)

I think I tend to be a hard "braker" so thanks for giving me a heads up on taking it easy.
Can't wait!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drove mine the first 500 miles at 55 or less but did about 300 miles in one day so that helped speed up the process. That was the best mileage I ever got also. 17K and no problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with the earlier post....break it in like you're gonna drive it. We've got 13k on ours and the first thing I did when we picked it up (new) was tach it out. Didn't keep a constant speed either for the first 500. Would run 70 for a bit then 65, then 75...you get the picture. most motors built now are so tight with the tolerances that break in isn't as important as it used to be. Still important, but not as much. Have a new G5 and I broke it in at about 6k on the tach as well. Gotta see what she'll do if/when you need it.

anyway, my $.05

JB

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
You may agree with breaking it in like you're gonna drive it, and it may very well be that the tolerances are so tight that a break in is not required. But given that the manual explicitly says to do a break in and gives detailed guidelines for this break in. And the concept that driving it easier seems like it cannot hurt, I think I will continue to suggest to others that they follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations. (Unless of course they change the manuals to say "break it in like you're gonna drive it". :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got FWD, not AWD. Does that make a difference in the 55mph rule?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
mykidsmom said:
I got FWD, not AWD. Does that make a difference in the 55mph rule?
To me, this is important enough that I think you should not take my word on it. But when I read the manual, I think that the 55 mph rule only applies to the AWD and not the FWD. The rule that you should not run at one constant speed applies to both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts