GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps dumb question, but I'm asking anyway as a first time trailer hitch owner (Acadia with towing package). How do you determine the "drop" needed for a trailer? I have a small flatbed trailer with a small bass boat on it. The ball is a 2", so that's pretty standard. How do I determine what drop I need for the "hitch ball mount"? GMC parts have the following options:
- 2" rise, 3 1/4" drop
- 3/4" rise, 2" drop
- 4" rise, 5 1/4" drop

I guess I could have the Acadia level and bring up the trailer behind, hold it level, and measure how much drop I need. Is that the best way?

I'm sure you'll have lots of suggestions for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
I guess I could have the Acadia level and bring up the trailer behind, hold it level, and measure how much drop I need. Is that the best way?
My boyfriend just said that what you said above is the best way to do it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I know with my snowmobile trailer, with 2 sleds, if the trailer is not tilting down in the front, vs. the rear, it gets a nasty case of the shakes! We usually have to pull the sleds up toward the rear bumper of my truck to get the weight distributed more toward the hitch, then it rides smooth. If you get the "high speed wobble" then your trailer hitch may not be low enough and the center of gravity for the trailer is too far back. I'm not a trailer expert, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's not the height that causes the high speed wobble - it's the weight distribution. You need 10-15% of the trailer's total weight on the hitch to keep it tracking properly at speed.

Height wise the trailer's coupler should be level with the ball or slightly low - never high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts