GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
If anyone needs any OnStar related questions answered feel free to ask me, I work for OnStar.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Boltbacker said:
If anyone needs any OnStar related questions answered feel free to ask me, I work for OnStar.
So, if I have a business account Verizon cell phone, is there any way to get it to work with, or to get a second line for, my Acadia? I do not have a personal account.

Kelly

·
Registered
218 Posts
KJF, currently there is only the America's Choice Plan that lets you add the vehicle to your personal plan. Sorry.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I call on Onstar from the Los Angles area, does it have the ability to call up a freeway map on traffic flow and tell me where the accident is that's blocking everything up?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question - Virtual Advisor claims to be able to do that, but I haven't tried it yet. Boltbacker (nice to have you around, btw!) ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
sandman said:
If I call on Onstar from the Los Angles area, does it have the ability to call up a freeway map on traffic flow and tell me where the accident is that's blocking everything up?
This is going to be a future enhancement, with some of the Cadillac line XM and Nav already do this. But this will eventually be added to more vehicles. Right now if you have XM you can go to the XM channel for Los Angeles or any other major metropolitan area and hear current traffic levels.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have it marked on my favorites. It works pretty well. You have to wait maybe two minutes (at the most) if they are covering Orange or San Bernadino counties. But at least its not a ten minute or longer wait.
I just like the idea of the onstar advisor booting up her freeway map, checking out my position via
GPS and saying its only a mile ahead hang in there or its 20 miles away, I show you how to get around it. That would be worth a lot of money to me.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sandman - companies out there are releasing technology that use cell phone systems to show real time traffic movement in a MUCH more accurate and complete environment than ever before. By actually using the cell towers to triangulate the thousands of cell phones, they can almost instantly identify traffic jams and slow spots long before an accident is reported to your local traffic center. I assume this type of technology will eventually end up in OnStar as well.

Unrelated question - So today I tried to use Virtual Advisor for the first time and it said "Your vehicles isn't set up for this feature" - how do I go about setting it up?

·
Registered
218 Posts
admin said:
sandman - companies out there are releasing technology that use cell phone systems to show real time traffic movement in a MUCH more accurate and complete environment than ever before. By actually using the cell towers to triangulate the thousands of cell phones, they can almost instantly identify traffic jams and slow spots long before an accident is reported to your local traffic center. I assume this type of technology will eventually end up in OnStar as well.

Unrelated question - So today I tried to use Virtual Advisor for the first time and it said "Your vehicles isn't set up for this feature" - how do I go about setting it up?
Go to Onstar.com or easier Myonstar.com, enter in your account number(if you don't know it push the blue button and ask the advisor, then you can select the items you want Virtual Advisor to track for you. This does use up your hands free calling time though.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks boltbacker - I'll give that a shot this evening...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Boltbacker - do you know if the Acadia comes with a year of Directions and Connections, or just Safe and Sound for the 1st year?

·
Registered
151 Posts
What is the virtual advisor? I'm new to the whole OnStar thing. :)

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JB - The Acadia definitely comes with Directions and Connections. It says it right in the paperwork you get with your new car, and I've used it several times.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks, that was not made clear to me, the dealer told me that you could use it one time, then pay for subsequent use.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When we got ours Friday night, we were on the way (at 10:20pm when we left dealership) to pick up the kid at grammas house, and I tried the OnStar Directions, and it was not as advertised!!! She read off directions, and told me how to record those for playback. I thought it would give me turn-by-turn.

Well, the next day, (after we already straighted out our phone "number of the beast" issue with Onstar -- we had "666" in our #)-- we were on the way back to grammas for some Easter Egg hunting, and tried onstar again with the "give me turn-by-turn navigation to address". Took about 30-40 seconds for the Onstar advisor to download to radio and then it was freaking awesome. My wife just about flipped out as the radio started telling us where to go.

I don't know what what the issue the night before, maybe some registration info had to pass to OnStar about our equipment, but now I feel more comfortable about not ordering the NAV. I will probably buy a Garmin c330 to use in either vehicle, but the standard SLT2 radio turn-by-turn is great!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Boltbacker said:
So my wife likes the Handsfree as I knew she would. We are on Cingular now, but look to change to Verizon. My work has a deal for 20% off the primary line, and Verizon suggested that I order the new phone for my wife and me-- and then after we get connected on America's Choice Family plan, then we call OnStar and get our vehicle added as the 3rd line. Is this the correct way?

·
Registered
218 Posts
mitchl said:
Boltbacker said:
So my wife likes the Handsfree as I knew she would. We are on Cingular now, but look to change to Verizon. My work has a deal for 20% off the primary line, and Verizon suggested that I order the new phone for my wife and me-- and then after we get connected on America's Choice Family plan, then we call OnStar and get our vehicle added as the 3rd line. Is this the correct way?
Yes after you have your Verizon phone, push the Blue button and the OnStar advisors will connect you to the special Verizon team to set up the America's Choice Plan.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mitchl - We had just one Verizon phone (so no family plan), pushed the button and they did the rest, set us up with family plan, created the second Verizon number for the Acadia and made the switch. Very easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
admin said:
mitchl - We had just one Verizon phone (so no family plan), pushed the button and they did the rest, set us up with family plan, created the second Verizon number for the Acadia and made the switch. Very easy.
That is so awesome! I'm surprised GM and Verizon don't advertise it more. If I were on Verizon I'd surely sign my Acadia up!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts