GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Detroit people tend to buy a new car every 2 years. Since this is where the cars are designed and built the people in this area seem to want the latest and greatest because we see and hear all the rumors first. 80% of new cars sale in the Metro Detroit area are leases. I know for a fact leasing is not that popular in some parts but here it is. Due to the reasons above many dealer in this area wont deal too much. If you dont get GMS pricing forget it. There are a couple of dealers (and only a few) where pricing is a "fixed" price for everyone weather you bought 10 cars from that dealer or only 1 or weather you are the Mayor or a trucker.

So I ask you how are the dealers in your area for pricing? Do they lease or buy? How often do they buy?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: How often do people in your area buy a new car? Buy or lease? Pricing?

For me, it's once every midlife crisis*. ;) My dad did so about every 5 years when I was a kid. Two of my Uncles were car dealers (not salesmen) so my dad always did well as far as knowing what to pay. I'm in an area of VFN (very few neighbors) by choice so I can't really advise on the people in this area. The ones I do have are driving vehicles that I'd say are 2~5 years old, and they probably bought them new. I don't know them well enough to say if they are leasing or buying or what they paid.

Having said that, the ONLY new car I would buy right now is the 2009 Challenger. Hemi orange, 6 speed, sunroof, navigation...

Sorry. :-[ I get carried away with some things.

EDIT
I missed the pricing @ dealers portion. I have a lengthy thread as to our Acadia purchase. In summary, the local dealers:
1. Couldn't get prices, gave a price that ended up being $1,400 over invoice.
2. Played a lot of classic sales games, never got a price & walked out.

Distant dealers:
1. Atlanta- at "invoice" but added in dealer & ad fees totaling $1,400 (where have we seen this number before?)
2. Atlanta- $500 over invoice, would have gone lower, but we didn't want the added distance to drive.
3. Tampa- Quoted MSRP + dealer fees. I Fedexed a mask & plastic gun to them. :)
4. Tampa- Ended up being $1,600 over invoice with added fees.
5. Jacksonville- Started @ $800 over with fees, negotiated down to $333. Salesman didn't pull any BS on anything, so I gave him our business.

There were a bunch of others that were non-responsive or said they couldn't get prices (apparently a common SE USA issue at the time).

* The Acadia, having a V6 and automatic, is the wife's vehicle.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've noticed a bunch of folks I work with typically buy used cars. Not hand-me-down beaters but cars that are already a year or two old. I'm 31 and this is our first brand spanking new car ever. I know I took a huge depreciation hit right off the bat as soon as I pulled off the lot but for once we wanted to start out with a vehicle that had never been driven (read abused) by ANYONE else.

As for leasing, hardly anyone I know leases their vehicles. I did once and I regret it big time but that's a story for another day.

I got our Acadia for $300 over invoice (read $1100 over invoice after GM to dealer advertising fees :()

It was worth it!!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have never bought a used car to date. Personal choice I guess and I keep them for 10+ years (except my F.O.R.D.)and then hand them down. Some of my neighbors must lease high end cars because they have new vehicles every two to three years like clock work. But as another discussion on leases pointed out, this practice may come to an end soon.

My thing is that I don't know who may have driven the used cars and I've seen what people do to rental cars for example, so that right there is worth the depreciation hit to me. Do you think test drivers are adhering to the break in rules? Call it overkill but that's me.

Just like when mine arrived I told my dealer to hide the keys and after he prepped it we test drove it and I told him that there are 14 miles on it now and there better be 14 miles + a trip to the gas pump on there when I come to pick it up in three days. There were 17 mile on it, so he must have listened to me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
bseemore said:
Just like when mine arrived I told my dealer to hide the keys and after he prepped it we test drove it and I told him that there are 14 miles on it now and there better be 14 miles + a trip to the gas pump on there when I come to pick it up in three days. There were 17 mile on it, so he must have listened to me.
Glad I'm not the only one. I made my dealer keep it in the side lot and lock the keys away in the managers office too. I drove it off the lot with 10 miles on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, but I ALWAYS slip him a $5 spot and tell him and any other workers in ear shot that you need to make sure the car comes back in the same condition I left it in (i.e., take note that there are no door dings) or you'll be paying for a repair bill. In a nice, but firm way, of course >:D

And I do glance at the mileage when I pull up to valet as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ferris Bueller's Day Off.......a classic, I tell ya!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
From what I've seen, Chicago is a tough place to drive. I'm with you on the test drive vehicles if they are driven like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
What's not to like about Chicago??? If you haven't been here, you must set your navi and get here. But not in the winter :eek:hno:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts