GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 Acadia and I am getting ready to replace a low pressure A/C line due to a leak. After I vacuum the system and replace the line, how much refrigerant does the car take? The label under the hood is not readable and I can't seem to find the answer after searching online.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
The owner's manual isn't much help! Autozone has an online chart that says 37 oz. (or 1 kg ... about 2.2 lbs.), but there's also a note referenced on the page that couldn't be found. It might be related to the amount/type of PAG oil needed for a complete recharge. Would probably be a good idea to get an auto a/c repair shop to do the recharge for you if you can't find a definitive answer here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have scoured the owners manual and all it says is to refer to the decal under the hood, which I can't read on my car. And it says nothing about PAG oil at all. How do I add the oil when doing the recharge? I have gauges and I am pulling the vacuum as I type this. I have one can of r134a that is 430g. I can't believe this info is so hard to get.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
See if this cut and copy from the factory service manual helps you

Reactions: mixednuts8

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome thanks!!! So according to this if all I did was change out a low side hose, I shouldn't need to add any pag oil. Am I reading that right?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nola26 said:
Awesome thanks!!! So according to this if all I did was change out a low side hose, I shouldn't need to add any pag oil. Am I reading that right?
If it was a slow, steady leak then I think that is correct. Doing a quick search found several answers that the 134a may also include oil in it. You may also see oil around where the leak was if the leak was fast enough or large enough.

I have only ever charged a car AC system, never did any other replacement of parts or hoses because I don't have the tools or equipment to do so.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
ls973800 said:
If it was a slow, steady leak then I think that is correct. Doing a quick search found several answers that the 134a may also include oil in it.
It's not necessary to add oil separately unless a major component is replaced or a line ruptures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have the refrigerant capacity for a 2014 Acadia SLT? The label underneath the hood of my Acadia has also become illegible.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
Should be the same as in reply #3 above. These vehicles didn't change that much over the years.

·
Super Moderator
19,835 Posts
It seems pretty definitive since everything on the 'net shows no difference in capacity from MY '07 to '12. Why would you think the '13 through '16 MYs would be any different? Call your dealer's service dept. and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I looked under the hoods of my vehicles and this is the listed capacity of R134a of both.
Not sure if the newer Acadia's 2013-16 are the same as the newer Enclaves 2013-16.

2007 Acadia 2.32lbs
2013 Enclave 2.48lbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speleos said:
It seems pretty definitive since everything on the 'net shows no difference in capacity from MY '07 to '12. Why would you think the '13 through '16 MYs would be any different? Call your dealer's service dept. and see what they have to say.
As I said, 2.3 lbs (37 oz / 1050 g) is my suspicion / guess.  If your assumption and my guess are correct, then there is no difference between the 2007 - 2016 model years where the R134a charge is concerned.  However, experience has taught me not to assume (especially when doing so can be the difference between a $25 or an $800 fix).  As far as calling the dealer goes, I was trying to avoid doing that in hope that a site like this Acadia forum might have that particular spec.  I may not have any choice but to call the dealer, though.  Thanks just the same.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From my DIY experience of adding R134 to various vehicles in my lifetime, you really don't need to know the capacity of the system. I guess its good to know, but you will use the gauge from the kit to figure out how much refrigerant to add to the system. You are not going to remove the refrigerant that is already in the system and refill to the listed capacity. You are just adding what is needed.

Last year we just had 2 lbs added to our central air at home. They all leak a little over time. That was approx 20 years of leaking before we noticed it wasn't cooling enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually, I would be adding R134a from an empty system (it's my intent to pull a vacuum on it testing for leaks, and to remove moisture). Using the gauge on the kit is okay if you're adding a relatively small amount, but it doesn't tell you how much refrigerant (by weight) has been added, nor does it tell you how much is in the system. It just tells you the increase in pressure on the low side that is also dependent on ambient temperature. I prefer to use my manifold gauges and a scale, and know exactly how much R134a has been added (within reason, of course).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts