GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a conversation over on the interior forum about my dislike of the Acadia cloth interior, and then veered off subject into my need for a vehicle that can tow my camper. It is a 4000 lb (empty), 25 ft. trailer. We have 2 kids and bring bikes that we put in the camper. I don't believe that we would ever go over 1000 lbs of cargo combined. We drive on predominately flat areas, about 250 miles each way, 4-5 times in the summer.

We've been told by dealers, service managers and a GM engineer (who tows a 3500 lb boat with his Acadia) that we wil have no problem towing our camper. A few of the posters on the other forum said that we might have issues since we are already at 4000 lbs empty.

Does anyone else pull a trailer and if so, how does the Acadia perform? If I can get confirmation that I can pull this trailer with confidence, I think I can get over my dislike of the cloth interior and move forward and take advantage of the great deals being offered right now.

thanks!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think you could tow your trailer just fine. I tow a 3500 lb boat all summer long. My lake house is 400 miles round trip and I pull the boat there and back with no problem. I know the situation you are in as I traded in a Z71 suburban for the Acadia and we love it. No regrets.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One thing I would recommend is go and actually weigh your trailer at a truck weigh station. I wouldn't trust any stickers or brochures that indicate the weight of your trailer. 95% of the time, they are wrong by alot. You probably would be very close to the limit (if not over) the 5200lbs tow rating once you add the passengers, food, clothing and everything else needed for a trip. You have to remember that fresh water & propane (amongst other things) are not included in the weights that the trailer manufacturer supplies. That alone is upwards of 300lbs.

I just picked up my Acadia Last week and I will be towing my 3100lbs (actual weight) 18' travel trailer this summer. So I don't have any real world experience towing with it yet, although everything about the Lambda platform indicates it will be an excellent tow vehicle with the right trailer.

BTW, you can't really compare towing a boat (aerodynamic) to a travel trailer (big box). But you probably already knew that.

Will the Acadia tow your trailer? Yes. with proper WDH & brake controller.

Will you feel confident pulling the trailer with the Acadia?? depends on your previous towing experience, driving ability, etc.

Can you legally tow the trailer? I have heard of insurance companies denying coverage if you get into an accident with an overweight load.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Based on my experience with the Acadia I wouldn't tow that much weight. You are going to be right at the max tow weight or beyond and this does not include the aerodynamic drag of the trailer. I personally would want a V-8 and a vehicle that was rated for at least 6500 pounds. If you were only going 10 or 20 miles on flat ground it probably would be ok, but 250 miles is a different story. The Acadia will pull it, but the cooling capacity is marginal at best for pulling a heavy trailer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I pulled a 4000 lb boat and trailer from Detoit to Lake of the Ozarks last summer (Not a flat area!) with a fully loaded Acadia (four people and gear for a week and had no issues. I did not add any additional equipment such as extended mirrors or a brake controller and felt as comfortable as you can when towing. I don't think you will have any issue. Big Bear Craig, have you towed with this vehicle and have you had cooling issues? It was over 90 degrees out going up and down hills in 5th gear, 65-70 MPH and I did not see the temp needle climb at all. Maybe you have an issue with yours.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Yes I have towed with mine numerous times. I have the tow package and my trailer weight is less than three thousand pounds and no frontal area to speak of. On a hot day climbing a long grade going from 800' to over 6500' my temp gauge will rise considerably. No it has never overheated but if I had been pulling the max allowed weight I'm not so sure. Mine is also an 07 with the lower tow rating. Others have posted here in the past that their Acadia also would (not overheat) run hot or much hotter when climbing on a hot day. The point is and I said this was that the Acadia will pull that much weight, but he would have no margin left for stop and go traffic, hot humid days or strong headwinds. Only he knows the roads he will be traveling and yes he might be okay, but he also may not be. Why take a chance? He doesn't even know his gross trailer weight for sure, but I'll bet it is heavier than he thinks it is.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm sorry, I had to butt in... he is actually a she. :angel:

big bear craig, I can understand your point. A friend of mine had a 4,500lb trailer she was going to loan me for camping, but we ended up deciding that it probably wasn't a bright idea to try to tow it with the Acadia. I also have a 2007 with the lower tow rating.

It'd be nice if she could perform a real-world test with her own trailer prior to committing to purchase an Acadia. If life were only so simple...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have an SLE that i added a towing package onto and tow more than it is rated to tow. I have had absolutely no issues towing. I live in south texas where the summer temperatures climb over a hundred degrees and have not had a overheating problem or even had it running hotter than normal when I am towing. Without the towing package i think it is rated to tow 2500 lbs?? I tow 3500 with no problem.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Web Raven said:
I'm sorry, I had to butt in... he is actually a she. :angel:

big bear craig, I can understand your point. A friend of mine had a 4,500lb trailer she was going to loan me for camping, but we ended up deciding that it probably wasn't a bright idea to try to tow it with the Acadia. I also have a 2007 with the lower tow rating.

It'd be nice if she could perform a real-world test with her own trailer prior to committing to purchase an Acadia. If life were only so simple...
Why not drag the trailer down to the dealership and hook it up to a test drive Acadia to see how it handles?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Didn't realize he was a she. My mistake. I would have no problem towing a max of 4000 or even a little higher because that would leave a margin of 1000 pounds, but she is talking about a 4000 pound trailer before it is loaded so she could easily go over the recommended tow rating. Every trailer magazine I have ever read has always recommended having more towing capacity than you actually need. It just makes good sense if you want the vehicle to perform well, be reliable and of course safe. When you exceed the towing limit that all becomes very questionable. She is looking at a vehicle to buy. If she owned an Acadia I would say give it a try, but to buy a car and find out that it doesn't do what you want it too can be a very expensive mistake.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
shogun95 said:
I pulled a 4000 lb boat and trailer from Detoit to Lake of the Ozarks last summer (Not a flat area!) with a fully loaded Acadia (four people and gear for a week and had no issues. I did not add any additional equipment such as extended mirrors or a brake controller and felt as comfortable as you can when towing. I don't think you will have any issue. Big Bear Craig, have you towed with this vehicle and have you had cooling issues? It was over 90 degrees out going up and down hills in 5th gear, 65-70 MPH and I did not see the temp needle climb at all. Maybe you have an issue with yours.
My state requires the use of a brake controller if over 2,000 lbs; and I believe most have similar laws.
Most trailer places have told me to stay about 80% of the max tow weight.

BTW: Although this may sound harsh, not using trailer brakes with that weight (4,000 lbs) is not very smart.

·
Registered
207 Posts
jb_lambda said:
One thing I would recommend is go and actually weigh your trailer at a truck weigh station. I wouldn't trust any stickers or brochures that indicate the weight of your trailer. 95% of the time, they are wrong by alot. You probably would be very close to the limit (if not over) the 5200lbs tow rating once you add the passengers, food, clothing and everything else needed for a trip. You have to remember that fresh water & propane (amongst other things) are not included in the weights that the trailer manufacturer supplies. That alone is upwards of 300lbs.

I just picked up my Acadia Last week and I will be towing my 3100lbs (actual weight) 18' travel trailer this summer. So I don't have any real world experience towing with it yet, although everything about the Lambda platform indicates it will be an excellent tow vehicle with the right trailer.

BTW, you can't really compare towing a boat (aerodynamic) to a travel trailer (big box). But you probably already knew that.

Will the Acadia tow your trailer? Yes. with proper WDH & brake controller.

Will you feel confident pulling the trailer with the Acadia?? depends on your previous towing experience, driving ability, etc.

Can you legally tow the trailer? I have heard of insurance companies denying coverage if you get into an accident with an overweight load.
All good advice. I tow ~3500lb boat/trailer and loaded with unknown lbs of gear along with the Acadia loaded up several times a week during the summer and we go up some pretty good grades. The Acadia does a nice job of towing. I don't notice the boat hanging back there all that much other than accelerating to 70mph on the onramp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just for clarity, there is a big difference between a brake controller and having trailer brakes. Yes my boat trailer has trailer brakes and it would be nuts not to have them as well as illegal in most states, but a brake controller is not the same as trailer brakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I tow I 6x10 utility trailer 600lbs with a 750lbs ATV total that is 1350lbs plus gear I would say I would be right at 1500lbs. 1500lbs is light compared to what ya`ll are hauling :eek: Sadly my Acadia didn't come with a tow package, and at this weight i`m comfortable towing with what I have. I think I would be scared to tow more then 2000lbs without the famous "tow package". I can feel the trailer yanking the Acadia a little with street driving and when getting on the freeway, but once at cruising speed I can't tell its back there.

I own acreage 250 miles from where I live. On a trip with the trailer going 65mph I would say 70% of the time the trans hangs out in 6th gear @ 1900rmps so i`m getting 16.5mpg. Its weird Ill be cruising for 20+ miles in 6th gear and with no warning the trans will drop to 4th then quickly to 5th than the next time I travel down a small down grade the trans will go back into 6th. I don't know if this is normal, but the Acadia does the same without towing a trailer. and just to note I get 24mpg cruising at 78mph. ;D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ended up getting a Tahoe. After stressing out about the capabilities of the Acadia, I decided not to push the limits on on it. I got a great deal, the payments are only $20 more than the Acadia and it is more vehicle. Thanks to all of you who gave me input and enjoy your Acadias! We can all feel good about supporting GM in this crazy time! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Sorry the Acadia didn't work out, but you have to buy what is best for your needs. Thanks for buying GM anyway! :thumb: I think there is another member that is also going to be on the Tahoe Forum after researching here, so you won't be alone in your experience there.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think it's always better to buy a vehicle that can tow more than what you have; the worry factor goes away

·
Registered
87 Posts
Towing update...

Not a long trip, but towed the trailer to the shop yesterday with the Acadia. It was about a 45min trip, everything was good. Great stopping power, tried w/o brake controller for a couple stops. Lots of power, seems to have decent grunt on the low end in tow/haul mod. I think this combo will do very good.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I towed a Yamaha Waverunner (about 1000 lbs total) to Texas and back (about 850 mi. one way). Pushed the speed limit (75+ mph). The only thing I noticed was about a 1.5 mpg hit on gas mileage. I averaged 18.5 mpg for the trip.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jb_lambda said:
Towing update...

Not a long trip, but towed the trailer to the shop yesterday with the Acadia. It was about a 45min trip, everything was good. Great stopping power, tried w/o brake controller for a couple stops. Lots of power, seems to have decent grunt on the low end in tow/haul mod. I think this combo will do very good.
What was the weight of the trailer?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts