GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And why did you order vs. buying dealer inventory?

It never occurred to me to special order a car. The dealer actually suggested it to me because I really didn't want a car with a sunroof and every SLT2 in town/in stock had a sunroof. But I see here that a large number of the members seem to have also special ordered rather than buying off the lot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ordered mine. At the time the Acadia was scarce and all they had was fully loaded AWD SLT2s at $45,000-$50,000. Got my mostly loaded FWD for $35,000.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ordered mine....very glad I did. That way I got exactly what I wanted and no one else test drove it :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
apples said:
I ordered mine....very glad I did. That way I got exactly what I wanted and no one else test drove it :thumb:
+1.

Also, we were not in a hurry and the dealer gave us a better deal by ordering one instead of going and finding one through the vehicle locator.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You'll almost always get a better price for a car that's in inventory because of the carrying costs. Every month it sits on the ground costs the dealer a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We were ready to do a special order, but the dealer found (almost) exactly what we wanted (it just had the towing thing for a few hundred dollars more). It was worth it to us to do it then, as our old car was about dead! We got exactly what we wanted and soon! But I want what I want, and if they couldn't find it at another dealer (this one was 4 hours away) then we would have done a special order. I NEVER buy off the lot, because they NEVER have what I want!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I special ordered and got mine in only 23 days (typical is 5-8 weeks, so i got lucky) and of course got exactly what i wanted. the vehicle was in my hands hours after it got off the truck and with 8 miles on the ODO. VERY HAPPY customer, so far, so perfect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted an SLT-2 in Dark Crimson without the sunroof. With the short inventory and the fact that most have the hole in the roof, thought it better to just special order one to get it exactly as I wanted. Good price too as the dealer was willing to sell at just above the invoice cost. Waiting for it now and should be here in a couple of weeks. Anyone have a recommendation on an extended warranty company!

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I special ordered mine. I didn't want a particularly high end configuration or anything unusual, however when I buy a car I want EXACTLY what I want. I HATE paying for things I don't want and I HATE not getting something I've decided I want. I'm more than happy to buy off the lot - but 90+% of the time they can't find the exact configuration I want.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I special ordered the one that I bought off the lot. :) At the time, I was not 100% sure I was ready to buy but knew exactly what I wanted. Even if I would have been ready, my dealer could not find what I wanted at the time. So my salesman ordered one to put into general stock on the lot with the exact config I wanted. He told me that he would let me know when it came in, and if I was ready, he would sell it to me, otherwise, he would sell it to someone else. When it came in, I test drove it but was still about 5 weeks away from being positioned to buy it. So he stuck it back on their rear lot and held it for me. 5 weeks later, I picked it up with the 22 miles I had put on during the test drive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I ordered mine to get the options I wanted without having to take a bunch of
extra stuff I would never use. I wasn't in a particular hurry to get one either,
so waiting for it to arrive wasn't a big deal to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ordered mine as they were scarce in fall of 2007 and there was none with 2nd row bench (which I wanted) to be found anywhere.....glad I did, very happy with seating for eight.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I ordered mine because my dealer ordered all captain chairs and when they sold out, ordered all benches. We wanted the captains and would have had to wait for them to sell out of benches before an order from the dealer. Ordering was easy, I think I would do it again!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I ordered mine as well for the same reasons most people mentioned above. I wanted what I wanted and there weren't any already built and at any dealers that matched what I was looking for. Also, I wasn't in any particular hurry and the 5 weeks it took from order to delivery weren't a problem.

If I ever buy a brand new vehicle in the future, I'm sure I'll do a special order again.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ordering has definitely become a LOT more common with most of GM's recent "hot" products, simply because lot stock is lower and everybody wants a specific configuration.

That was the case with our recent Malibu purchase, for instance, the dealer already being so used to Acadia, Enclave, etc. orders (with very few ever just on the lot), that was the first question--"Did you want to order one?" The queen mother wanted it ASAP, and was flexible on colors & options within reason, so we did dealer searches for weeks to no avail and then placed an order for the "ideal" car on a Monday--the theory being, we'd continue Dealerworld searching in the meantime, and if something popped up that they could get (the hardest part then...selling quickly & no one wanted to give them up), we'd take it and the ordered car would go to the lot. Then, in a blink, the very next day one possible swap was re-offered to them, and we took it. Aside from one option missing (which still doesn't make too big of a difference), we got the car immediately and love the color (3rd choice) most of all.

But yeah, on all these hot models, some still can get them off the lot and/or compromise, but a huge majority seem to be orders--and it's easy to see why.

NOW, if the process would only be streamlined...so you could get a login to a website, for instance, and be able to check status, see a window sticker, etc. any time you please. Well, that, and clear some allocation issues a bit more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would have special ordered mine if I couldn't get the options I wanted. Fortunatly, I found what I was looking for with the exception of the tow package. And it had the HUD which I didn't care about. Although, that's all I look at now. I'm sure I can add the tow package later correct?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered mine because I was able to get the color, and options I wanted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ordered... to get color and options deisred.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I usually order, but this time around I had no choice. The price of the Acadia in Canada at time of purchase was nearly $20,000 MORE than a similarly configured model in the U.S. Because of recently changed importation rules, I had to buy a 2007 model...leaving me only with dealer inventory.

After paying 20% in taxes (6% Ohio State Sales Tax, 7% GST and 8% provincial sales tax), I was STILL nearly $14,000 net ahead of a Canadian model.

·
Registered
74 Posts
nailed said:
And why did you order vs. buying dealer inventory?
We ordered. We had been waiting for the Acadias to hit the lots since they were announced. When they did hit the lots, most of what we could find was fully loaded. Why pay for features you don't want? Ordering a vehicle means getting exactly what you want. The wait was only 6-8 wks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts