GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the archives and seen out-of-date content. I have 3500 miles on a 2020 GMC Acadia Denali. Oil life is at 60%. Does the 2020 Acadia use special break-in oil? I follow all instructions about break-in. When should I change the oil for the first time? Do I rely on the oil-life monitor? Is there a recommended number of miles? Does the oil filter catch metal shavings from break-in? Thanks for any advice.

Super Moderator
The factory fill is the same type of oil the manufacturer recommends for the life of the vehicle's warranty. Your owners manual states what the manufacturer recommends with regard to maintenance intervals - follow them, or choose your own as long they don't exceed what is needed to maintain that warranty. Oil filters will catch anything larger than the pore size of the filtration medium.

Now, prepare yourself for everyone else's personal opinion about what you should do. 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The factory fill is the same type of oil the manufacturer recommends for the life of the vehicle's warranty. Your owners manual states what the manufacturer recommends with regard to maintenance intervals - follow them, or choose your own as long they don't exceed what is needed to maintain that warranty. Oil filters will catch anything larger than the pore size of the filtration medium.

Now, prepare yourself for everyone else's personal opinion about what you should do. 馃ぃ 馃ぃ 馃ぃ
Hi Speleos, thanks for your reply. I value the advice. I value the advice of others. What I do not value is rudeness. Some people are rude in this forum. Don't know why, but it is the case. I don't believe in rudeness. I do believe in sharing information and insights. I see many conflicting opinions about oil life. I will have to assume that GM has done a lot of research about oil life. I still change my oil at about 40% oil life in the GM oil life monitor.

Super Moderator
Sorry you think facts are rude. You'll always be safe changing the oil before the OLM tells you to do it. Just be sure to check the oil level frequently.

Super Moderator
I disagree with your premise.
The OLM actually adjusts itself depending on how the vehicle's running (computer) system interprets the conditions under which you drive it. It's not a linear algorithm.

Reactions: Grantv

Registered
I disagree with your premise.
Well that was rude. :)
I do see some rude posts, but for the most part, helpful.
I'd go with or ahead of the oil life monitor. It does adjust for environment and driver.

Registered
I have the oil changed when the OLM tells me it is time.
Same here. I'm of the opinion that the highly educated teams of chemists and engineers that design and develop the engines and lubricants know orders of magnitude more about oil life and engine component wear than I do so why try to second guess them. JMO.

Super Moderator
I've found the OLM to coincide well with the way I've driven the vehicle, i.e. more city than highway miles, or vice versa. Consequently, the oil change interval varies regardless of mileage.

Registered
I change the oil once a year, whether it needs it or not.

The problem is that we drive so little these days that we never get even close to need a change before that. I have had a PEP boys service employee ask why we were having the oil changed.

George

Registered
I change the oil once a year, whether it needs it or not.

The problem is that we drive so little these days that we never get even close to need a change before that. I have had a PEP boys service employee ask why we were having the oil changed.

George
Most later model GM vehicle Owners Manual also specify to change it based on the OLM. . . . or every 12 months.
Wife's car had only 3,500 miles on the oil and still 60% oil life, but we got an Onstar monthly notice that an oil change was due since it had been 12 months since the last oil change.
So . . I just did that on the 2019 Acadia as well.
It had been just shy of 12 months and changed it. It had about 2,700 miles on the oil but was down to about 40%. More cold starts and short trips I imagine.

Registered
Most later model GM vehicle Owners Manual also specify to change it based on the OLM. . . . or every 12 months.
Wife's car had only 3,500 miles on the oil and still 60% oil life, but we got an Onstar monthly notice that an oil change was due since it had been 12 months since the last oil change.
So . . I just did that on the 2019 Acadia as well.
It had been just shy of 12 months and changed it. It had about 2,700 miles on the oil but was down to about 40%. More cold starts and short trips I imagine.
8 miles/day average the last year? What's you total mileage now? You've had your Acadia about 17 months according to your Signature.

To the OP : That first oil change after buying my vehicles brand new I usually do around 2,000 miles, then after that it's every 5,000 miles with Full Synthetic oil. But when I'm taking a long trip I always put fresh oil in before leaving, regardless of how many miles the engine's gone. Used to be able to work it so I'd always have about 5,000 miles on the oil right before the trip, but lately, with all the added trips the last two years due to all the health problems up there, I've been changing it with as little as 2500 miles on the oil ... but that's OK ... I just consider it a $20 "flush" of the system.

Reactions: Mike Geno

Registered
I've searched the archives and seen out-of-date content. I have 3500 miles on a 2020 GMC Acadia Denali. Oil life is at 60%. Does the 2020 Acadia use special break-in oil? I follow all instructions about break-in. When should I change the oil for the first time? Do I rely on the oil-life monitor? Is there a recommended number of miles? Does the oil filter catch metal shavings from break-in? Thanks for any advice.
I did my first one at 1000 miles and every 5000 since. I only use OE ACDelco oil filters and Valvoline full synthetic oil. It's the same stuff I used in my '04 Impala that went 225,000 miles before I sold it

Registered
8 miles/day average the last year? What's you total mileage now? You've had your Acadia about 17 months according to your Signature.
Acadia was little driven last winter. .. then COVID began in the middle of March. So no trip to Florida or much else for that matter. Also. . . retired and no vehicle we have gets driven daily. We have taken a number of short 150 mile or so day trips during the summer just to sight see and get out of the house. About 5200 on odo.
Otherwise, my truck gets used for a lot of errands and tasks.

Reactions: Colt Hero

Super Moderator
So it would be a good idea to pick up my vehicle from the sales department and drive around to the service department :)
Save yourself some time. Have it done after the test drive and while you're signing the papers. 馃ぃ

Reactions: divotdug
1 - 18 of 18 Posts