GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My toddler lost my key and remote. The dealer is telling me that I have to tow my ACADIA to teh delaer so that they can program a new key. That sounds costly and I cannot remember the delaer giving me a spare set. Can someone tell me how many keys they recived when you bought your ACADIA?

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We had two, the second set was in the glovebox with all the paperwork and owner's manual, did you look in there?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Same here. There should be two keys.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When we bought ours it was past 10pm on a Saturday night, the salesman only had one set as the other set was locked up for the night in the "Key Vault" as he called it. I picked up the 2nd set the following weekend when I had the mud guards and roof rack cross bars installed. I was worried about locking the one set in the truck all week but then remembered I could call On-Star to have them pop the locks for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ours came with 2 sets of key/remote. And each set came with a bar code (which is locked in the home safe) that can be used to order a new set without having to take the Acadia in to the dealer.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I also got two keys.

Call a locksmith. Long story, but when I got divorced I had the keys to the car and my ex-wife "stole" it out of my driveway. She just called a locksmith and they made new keys, including regrogramming the microchips. Don't know what it cost her but a good locksmith can probably do it cheaper than the dealer. Also, as others have stated, if you have the key code you should be able to order one but I am sure the locksmith would be faster.

·
Registered
107 Posts
jseck2 said:
I also got two keys.

Call a locksmith. Long story, but when I got divorced I had the keys to the car and my ex-wife "stole" it out of my driveway. She just called a locksmith and they made new keys, including regrogramming the microchips. Don't know what it cost her but a good locksmith can probably do it cheaper than the dealer. Also, as others have stated, if you have the key code you should be able to order one but I am sure the locksmith would be faster.
It's not that easy to get the dealership to make a key just by having the key code. When my sister lost her keys and tried to have one made by giving the key code, the dealership refused until she could provide proof of ownership and a driver license (name & address had to match). Dealers are aware that anyone could possibly stumble across your key code and they take the extra steps to avoid making a key for just anyone. They do not want to be held liable.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have never heard of ANY new car not coming with at least 2 sets of keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I already had them make a key to get into the car. The parts guy failed to inform me that it only to unlock the car, but it will not start it. I was really upset to have paid $50 for a key they only cut to get into the car, when I can call on-star to unlock it remotely. They told me I had to tow it in forthem to make a key for it. Thanks for everyone's response.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yep, 2 keys, 2 remotes. There's always OnStar if you get locked out. Won't start the car, but at least you can get in.

·
Registered
405 Posts
wow was i luckey enough to get 3

·
Registered
497 Posts
Rolling Thunder,
Three keys and three remotes; or three keys and two remotes?

·
Registered
164 Posts
2 keys and 2 remotes come with the car and I had the salesman make another key to pack in my wallet...just in case.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Two keys and two remotes! :cheers:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Rolling Thunder,
Three keys and three remotes; or three keys and two remotes?
3 keys and two remotes for now, the dealer said i should have three remotes so i said that we wait on the new twoway one for the third. then i will have three remotes. He also said no extra charge for the inconvience

·
Registered
403 Posts
2 keys, 2 remotes and the Onstar number in my cell phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI. Took to dealer and they charge $50 for key, $85 to program, $150 for remote (programmed). Total was $285. KEEP YOUR TODDLERS AWAY FROM YOUR KEYS. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE. I learned my lesson. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are there any online dealers that discount these?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.