GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the DIC calculates "Average Speed" via time or via distance?

For example: If I drive for 1 hour at 40 miles per hour, then drive for 1 hour at 80 miles per hour, will the dic calculate my average speed as 60 mph eventhough I drove twice as far while doing 80mph?
Key1

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it's average speed based on period of gas volume consumed...make sense? The DIC continues to increment gas volume consumed since last reset. I believe all averaged measurements are based on this running accumulation.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
If you turn the DIC to avg speed, and reset it with the Check mark button, it should calculate your avg based on your trip till you reset it again.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
key1cc said:
Does anyone know if the DIC calculates "Average Speed" via time or via distance?

For example: If I drive for 1 hour at 40 miles per hour, then drive for 1 hour at 80 miles per hour, will the dic calculate my average speed as 60 mph eventhough I drove twice as far while doing 80mph?
Key1
I don't think an average over distance would make sense. The units for speed and average speed are miles/hr. Total miles would be 120, total time would be 2 hours. Average would be 60 mph.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you may be correct....that it is based on time.
I took a trip into the city yesterday (Phila.) and I spent 50 highway miles going and 50 highway miles returning all at 75 - 80 miles per hour. When I returned home the DIC indicated that I had traveled a total of 122miles with and average speed of only 34 mph. This suggest that the 22 miles of stop and go traffic that was not highway brought the average down substantially, eventhough is was only 22 miles of distance compared to the 100 miles of highway distance.........

Key1

·
Registered
468 Posts
key1cc said:
I think you may be correct....that it is based on time.
I took a trip into the city yesterday (Phila.) and I spent 50 highway miles going and 50 highway miles returning all at 75 - 80 miles per hour. When I returned home the DIC indicated that I had traveled a total of 122miles with and average speed of only 34 mph. This suggest that the 22 miles of stop and go traffic that was not highway brought the average down substantially, eventhough is was only 22 miles of distance compared to the 100 miles of highway distance.........

Key1
I think you basically have it. Average speed is distance/time. Using your numbers you went 100 miles at roughly 80 MPH. This would be 1.25 hours of travel time (100/80). You also went 22 miles at my made up estimate of 10 MPH. This would be 2.2 hours of travel time (22/10). Total it up and you end up with 122 miles traveled divided by 2.45 hours of time (1.25+2.2) for 35 MPH average.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does sitting at a stoplight figure in? since during those times I'm going 0mph and you can't divide or multiple by zero.....
Key1

·
Registered
468 Posts
You could have sat for some of the 22 miles and still averaged my arbitrary 10 MPH. But to look at it actual numbers you are traveling 0 miles so the math works, you simply do not travel anywhere. Distance equals zero. Your average speed would also be zero (0 miles/time at stop light).

·
Registered
143 Posts
"How does sitting at a stoplight figure in? since during those times I'm going 0mph and you can't divide or multiple by zero....."

Try this. Reset average speed. Start vehicle. Let idle in park for 2 hours. Check average speed. It calculates 0mph. You can divide and multiply by zero, the answer is zero.

Believe me I've tried it. The 2 hours I was setting there I tried those calculations on may cell phone calculator. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
lewisra said:
"How does sitting at a stoplight figure in? since during those times I'm going 0mph and you can't divide or multiple by zero....."

Try this. Reset average speed. Start vehicle. Let idle in park for 2 hours. Check average speed. It calculates 0mph. You can divide and multiply by zero, the answer is zero.

Believe me I've tried it. The 2 hours I was setting there I tried those calculations on may cell phone calculator. :cheers:
Actually you would divide 0 miles by 2 hours and it equals zero. Technically, you can't divide by zero. The smaller the number you divide by, the closer you get to infinity. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I use the Acadia for mostly road trips and what I have found is that the avg mph does not start calculating until you shift out of park and begin your drive. If you are in stop and go traffic, it includes the time you are stopped at lights. But if you start the car to warm it up, it does not begin the avg mph calculation until you start moving.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
lewisra said:
:confused: :confused:
Did you really let your car sit and idle for 2 hours just for this?
What a waste of precious Gasoline :eek:hno: :eek:hno: :sosad: :sosad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts