GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We looked again at some Acadias over the weekend, and the sales person did a search for the exact one we want. He pulled up several and was going to contact those dealers. Yesterday we found out that our first choice had been sold, so they are contacting th other dealers which are further away. How does this work? Do dealers trade vehicles or share profits? Are we better off buying what a dealer has in stock? I've never bought a new car before - I feel very ignorant.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They trade.

If you're dealing with a big dealer with alot of inventory (not necessarily of the car you're looking for, just lots of cars), you won't really be affected much. Only thing with dealer trades is they're sometimes less likely to negotiate as hard. They lose the bonus of the financing "free" time etc. but it's still a good deal for them normally. And while they'd prefer to sell from their stock, it sounds like you'd be settling for something you don't truly want so it's only a win for the dealer.

They also tend to prefer dealer trades over factory orders so if they give you a hard time, just throw out the dreaded "then we'll just place a factory order" term and they'll talk :drunk:

The key to dealer trades of course is the chance that you do the deal and then they can't get the car. So you can't get your hopes up until they say "we've got your car".

Remember also, they won't do any kind of deal with the other dealer until your deal is signed. But they will do a verbal swap agreement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that's good advice. I'm notorious for getting my hopes up - I had thought I would be getting my first choice today - so I'll hold off getting excited until I have the keys in my hand. And I need to remember that I can always order the exact car I want - I don't have to settle.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most dealers assist each other, but one might need a Denali, they trade the invoices, etc. For me it came down to, "we can get you close", so I ordered one to know it's exactly what I want, vs being disapointed with another color, options, etc. :blob:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts