GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Especially if you live in northern states or in Canada where snow and salt are common, what did you do to protect your car unerneath, under-coating or rust proof oil spray? Can the orginal coating from the factory hold well?

Let's gather some thoughts before spring comes. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
249 Posts
So far I've done nothing. :-[ It has been a VERY snowy, slushy, salt-heavy winter here so far so I am a little fearful of what I'll read in this thread.

I've been hoping the factory protection will be fine for this first winter, but definitely a concern for the future.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think vehicles built today have pretty robust rustproofing from the factory. I really don't worry about it except to periodically run my vehicles through a car wash that has an underbody wash feature during the winter. I have never done anything extra to any recent vehicle and have never had a problem.

The GM Warranty is:

Corrosion Protection

GMC vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for six years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree it is best to do nothing extra. Just keep them washed off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We live in the salt belt and our 1996 GMC Yukon has 208,000 miles and not a spec of rust anywhere, except for the typical surface rust you expect to see on the frame rails and control arms. The underbody and associated parts are still in great shape. All I've ever done was made sure I used a car wash with underbody flush a few times per season.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What the warranty doesn't say anything about is if you get some damage to the underside, due to objects on the highway, whatever, that damages the underspray and protection from the factory... it will not be covered under warranty. Just like if you get a scratch on the door and leave it untreated, the rust warranty will not come to your rescue.

Two things I do;

1. A few times in the winter, on the warmer days, treat the Acadia to a full-blown touchless car wash including dry. Having a build-up of winter crap is actually a good way to have a layer of protection, as salt tends to be less corrosive if it is dry and cold versus warm and wet.

2. Springtime service, I get a full-blown touchless wash and dry, then get some service done. While the truck is up on the hydralic stand, I either get the mechanic or myself to do a detailed visual inspection.

The other thing is to make sure you vacuum and clean the interior more vigorously, especially if your highway crews are liberal with the salt and dirt.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I was thinking about this also. I posted a thread about swirl marks on my carhttp://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0, and was advised by one member that the even touchless carwashes are damaging to the paint. I was trying to think of another alternative to touchless carwashes with underspray.
Can gnarboots11 & paintcarendetailing give us some advice?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
This may sound silly, but I have found that driving in a good heavy rain does the trick. I really don't think that much is needed for under the car. Really, you don't even need to wax the paint if you are only concerned about rust. I think with today's cars, the only reason to wax is to keep it looking good. I doubt that the protection part matters much as most panels are galvanized or plastic. I just don't see cars rusting much anymore.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Two days after I drove ours off the lot it went direclty to local Zeibart shop for rust proofing and xtra added sound deadening[heavy spray over the rust proofing]. $260.00 incl tax. Winter car wash: Once every 3-4 weeks Warmer seasons come and gets 3 more coats of Acrylic paint sealant ready for next winter season.

·
Registered
217 Posts
bonk1313 said:
I posted a thread about swirl marks on my carhttp://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0, and was advised by one member that the even touchless carwashes are damaging to the paint.
I too have read and heard this same warning about touchless car washes. However, I have yet to find or read about anyone who has actually experienced damage from them, or any indication of what kind of damage you could expect to see. While I agree that the presoak solutions are quite strong, the length of time they are actually in contact with the paint surface is minimal. I have also discussed this with a friend who owns an autobody shop and he has never seen any instance of damage from either the pre-soak or the high pressure wash, unless the paint was lifting or peeling from some other cause prior to using the car wash. The only problem I see with them is that they will cause your hand wax/polish job to not last as long.

So IMHO there is minimal risk of damage to the paint from a touchless car wash, and certainly much less risk of damage than if you do not periodically wash the winter salt and crud off your car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would agree with the above too. How much more damaging could you get just driving on the highway and having the crud from an 18-wheeler flying back at your vehicle? It would seem a controlled, clean spray would be much less harmful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Snoguy said:
bonk1313 said:
I posted a thread about swirl marks on my carhttp://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3153.0, and was advised by one member that the even touchless carwashes are damaging to the paint.
I too have read and heard this same warning about touchless car washes. However, I have yet to find or read about anyone who has actually experienced damage from them, or any indication of what kind of damage you could expect to see. While I agree that the presoak solutions are quite strong, the length of time they are actually in contact with the paint surface is minimal. I have also discussed this with a friend who owns an autobody shop and he has never seen any instance of damage from either the pre-soak or the high pressure wash, unless the paint was lifting or peeling from some other cause prior to using the car wash. The only problem I see with them is that they will cause your hand wax/polish job to not last as long.

So IMHO there is minimal risk of damage to the paint from a touchless car wash, and certainly much less risk of damage than if you do not periodically wash the winter salt and crud off your car.
There are a few types of "touchless" car washes.. Self serve bay, drive through touchless & "Service" touchless car wash. The first two probably won't do any type of marring to the paint, but the soap they use, will without a doubt, remove any type of protection you have on the exterior of your car. Now the service type touchless car washes where there is a person "pre soaking" & drying your car will induce marring in your paint. The type of marring I'm referring to are those spiderweb type swirls that you can see in direct light...like these (I think this is what bonk1313 was referring to):

These, as they add up over time, are what causes your paint to loose the gloss and shine it had when new.

To answer the OP question, even though I don't live in an area with snow and salt, I do have friend and relatives that do. I tell them basically what toasteroven said, after winter is over and you go in for an oil change or maintenance, ask the mechanic to do a once over for any damage to the coating on the undercarriage...Other then that I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
so your telling us that drive thru carwash are safer compared to the two? what do you mean when you say protection? as in wax or sealant?

i just took mine in a drive thru touchless car wash for the first time. Bought it about a week ago, no chance to wax it yet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SioXie said:
so your telling us that drive thru carwash are safer compared to the two? what do you mean when you say protection? as in wax or sealant?

i just took mine in a drive thru touchless car wash for the first time. Bought it about a week ago, no chance to wax it yet.
yes, if you are going to use one or have to use one, yes the drive thru ones that don't touch your paint are safer then the full service car washes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Thanks for clarifying..... i can sleep soundly tonight!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
263 Posts
SioXie said:
Thanks for clarifying..... i can sleep soundly tonight!!! :thumb:
Can't sleep still! anxiously awaiting!!! I take my GMC van to one of those touch free ones to get the grime of the rains off. I like it. I hate to admit to y'all what I did to my van but here goes... I had little black scuff marks on a few places on my van. I.....eeks, here goes...took a green kitchen scrubbie....yes I did, and got the scuffs off. While it was wet it look FABULOUS! As soon as it dried, yikes![/color] Any ideas, what kind of wax to coat the boo boo's. Now remember, I only claimed to be able to work on engines and major stuff like that...I never said anything about knowing how to wash the outside. I PROMISS , on my HONOR, to never do that to my Acadia.[/color] But I need to fix my first born! :help:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm sorry, in my drunkeness while posting, I forgot to post my car washing maxim:

DO NOT let ANYTHING other than your drying and waxing cloths at home EVER TOUCH the PAINT. EVER.

This includes foaming brushes (especially considering most people use them to clean the mud off their rims), big rollers at car washes, jockeys at so called "touchless car washes" with their "extra hand-drying and polishing premium".

In all my years of vehicle ownership, I have NEVER EVER swirled the paint due to washing or cleaning the vehicle myself. I go to a automatic touchless car wash a few times a month in winter, a few times the rest of the year, and put on 2-3 coats of wax twice a year (late spring, late fall).

·
Registered
263 Posts
toasteroven said:
I'm sorry, in my drunkeness while posting, I forgot to post my car washing maxim:

DO NOT let ANYTHING other than your drying and waxing cloths at home EVER TOUCH the PAINT. EVER.
DUH[/color], I know that now...little late on the van :sosad:

THANKS Toast...I'm assuming you were refering to my green scrubby..if not..opps, never mind. ;D

Drinking??? what are you doing drinking while posting???? silly!!! :drunk:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well gee I give mine a cup of hot chocolate and make sure it has it's scarf and mittens on. Good lord people it is only a vehicle. A GMC vehicle not a Ferrari or Lamborgini. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts