GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the subject reads...what is required to keep a machined finish looking like new? I had an aftermarket wheel on my last vehicle and the machined lip began to pit over time. Of course it was exposed to rock salt for about 5 winters. I've looked at alot of wheels that had either a machined lip or a machined part of the face. I'm hesitant to pursue making a purchase seeing that I will be keeping these on all year long, and thus exposing to rock salt again. Is it possible to keep them looking good given the environment they will be in?

·
Registered
31 Posts
because we live in the mid-west it will all depend on how you take care of the wheels, i have had machined wheels on my ford fusion for the entire winter but i have dedicated garage with warm water hose, when i got home i would rinse off my wheels and hand dry, the best thing to do is keep a good wheel polish on them, and this has to do the entire wheel not just the face. if you cant dedicate that much time to keeping wheels on, the weather will eat it away in time

·
Registered
65 Posts
The wheels are covered with a thick type of clear coat over the machine finish, Have had wheels that the coating gets chipped off, from rocks, and such, and aluminum will corrode and pit, where exposed. I have also seen wheels the the coating actually started to peal off. best thing to do is, have mud flaps, drive careful down gravel roads, do not let a tire shop mount wheel weights to outside of rim.

·
Registered
812 Posts
unless your rims is on a show car, its very difficult to maintain the "machined lip" as new, we lived in an area where weather can be extreme most of the times during winter, not to mention the quality of roads we have. i give up maintaining my machined lip on my old Civic Si years ago, even if i clean them everyday, weather and road debris will take their toll on the finish. :(

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. Looks like it is very much like I thought. Tough to maintain and I'd have to be nuts to keep them on all winter...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts