GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the autoupgrade custom cut rubber floor mats which fit great; but smell horrible! I even left them outside for a week before I put them in. Well needless to say, the new car don't smell like a new car no more :mad: . My wife is a lil pissed too. I am going to have to return them if I can't find a solution.

Help!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had the same problem with a set of clear mats for my wife's Corvette from West Coast Corvettes. They could not suggest a solution-I tried bleach and setting them outside for a month-they still stuck! :angryfire: I threw them out and bought others that did not smell elsewhere for the Corvette.
Apparently some Asian base mat vendors are using a strange brew in floor mat compounds.
I bought GM mats at a discount price from Gene at GM Parts House. Guess what? No smelly and they looky good :cheers:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmm, the set of rubbertite mats I bought were smelly at first, but after a
couple days the smell was pretty much gone. :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Rubertite 2nd and 3rd row mats stunk up the garage for 2 weeks before I put them in. They still smelled real bad but I needed them because of the weather. Someone suggested Fabreeze. I was skeptical because it couldn't soak in like fabric but it really did help. They still smell but it's tolerable now, barely. The manufacturer, Lloyd's Mats, should be ashamed to deliver a product that smells this bad. I like the fit and coverage, though.

I've got a little household steam cleaner that I might try this weekend. Or maybe my local car wash might have some heavy duty steam cleaning equipment. I think the heat will help blast out the smell.

I can't see why GMC doesn't redesign the 2nd row mat to cover a decent area and not be such a joke.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hmm. I don't like the coverage of my rubbertite mats but I never smelled any type of real odor from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree....the rubbertite mats smelled terrible and I lost that new car smell too....so I bought a "new car smell" air freshener and its just barely noticeable now. I have the second row bench and the coverage of the mats are great, so I would do it all over again.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
From your dealer, the GMC logo OEM rubber front floor mats do not have any smell and are super pliable. I like the design as holds water and dirt which will not flow over onto the carpet. For snow conditions in our area, they are the ideal rubber mat!

·
Registered
41 Posts
cacadia said:
I ordered the autoupgrade custom cut rubber floor mats which fit great; but smell horrible! I even left them outside for a week before I put them in. Well needless to say, the new car don't smell like a new car no more :mad: . My wife is a lil pissed too. I am going to have to return them if I can't find a solution.

Help!
I spread out the Weathertite and Hexomats I received in an unused room for a month. They still smell a little but nowhere near as bad as when they came out of the shipping boxes. Now they're in the car, and after a day of noticing, I've tuned it out. Also I found putting an air-freshener anywhere in the car (of a scent you find pleasing) helps mask the scent of the mats. I put a Pine in my car and so far so good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I concur with the others about the GMC brand mats. I just got them in a couple of days ago for the front and the cargo area and haven't smelled them at all.

I looked into the rubbertite mats at some point a while ago, but read LOTS of comments about them stinking people's cars up.
http://www.autoanything.com/floor-mats/64A1463A-1A1.aspx#customerReview

·
Registered
113 Posts
Very strange...my WeatherTech and Hexomats didn't stink at all after airing out for about 2 weeks

·
Registered
339 Posts
apples said:
Very strange...my WeatherTech and Hexomats didn't stink at all after airing out for about 2 weeks
It is the rubbertite mats that I've read about really stinking it up. I haven't read about your brands stinking much.

·
Registered
812 Posts
thats why i did not go with the Rubbertite and went with the Hexomats because of the bad feedback regarding its smell. Thanks apples!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The smell from my Rubbertite mats just faded away after having them in the vehicle a couple weeks. I didn't do anything special to get rid of the smell.

Sure am glad I got all-weather mats - otherwise this winter would have been hell on the light titanium carpet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got my rubbertite mats this morning. It was a nice sunny day so I laid them out on the driveway and let them cook on the pavement. Put them in the car and after my sons swim lessons they still had a light smell but not like when I first pulled them out of the box. Who ever said skunk smell hit it right on. I like the coverage and the fit. I'll see how bad it is tomorrow after sitting all night in the car. I have febreeze handy so I'll shoot it with that if they're too bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts