GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fascinated at how my brain has reacted over time to the exterior "differences" between the Acadia and the Outlook. I'm curious to know or get a sense from others how much of these differences are perception (brand, positioning, image, etec.) vs. cold hard facts.

When I first started looking at the two I could tell no difference. In fact, in my town the Saturn and GMC dealers are literally next door. I'd stare at an Outlook, then go look at an Acadia, and I couldn't point to specific things that were different, yet my brain told me they were. After careful study the two primary differences I saw (and others have discussed) include 1) Outlook's hood extending "down" into the grille and 2) the Outlook having the wrap-around glass in the back.

There is an Outlook close to where I park at work. I studied it closely the other day and I'd say the front quarter panels look more rounded than the Acadia's. Are they different as well?

The bottom line is that I like the Acadia looks better than the Outlook. And the reasons I think it looks better are often the reasons why Outlook owners think the Acadia looks worse. I'm not trying to argue which is "better". (As a friend of mine says: "There is no accounting for taste.") I'm just wondering if there are other quantifiable things besides the hood styling and wrap-around glass that make the Outlook exterior different.

j

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think most of the sheet metal is different except for the doors and the roof. The arches above the wheels are different - the Saturn has a indentation whereas the GMC has a bulge. These little differences add up and while you can still tell they are related it's a lot better than previous badge jobs from GM. The interiors - not so much the seat shape but colors and the entire dash are noticeably different.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well for starters there is different

Headlamps
front bumbers
foglamps
Outlook has seperate turn/DRL lamp
Hood. Saturn is steel, GMC is aluminium
fenders
rear quarter panel
tailamps
Liftgate lamps
rear bumper
tailpipes

Just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
234 Posts
GM positions the brand perception as such:
GMC - The manufacturer for brawny more aggressive styling and overall content in the entry-luxury market.
Saturn - The manufacturer for value-oriented with a more subdued and overall pleasing design to be placed a step above Chevrolet.

Buick in a full luxury position above GMC and of course Cadillac as the premier brand.

I don't know the exact nuisances of how/why the designers made them but these are the mantras they kinda follow.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The Outlook nose looks goofy...not as "smooth".

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I look goofy, but for some reason, my wife picked me. It's great that everyone has different tastes and that GM has several platforms that are different enough that they appeal to different folks, and yet share enough in common that they can get economies of scale and keep costs down.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Acadia has the brawny,sporty front end while the Outlook has the sexier rear end...... also when you look from the rear, the Outlook has a slimmer,lower profile than the Acadia, while the Acadia is wider with the bulging fenders. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts