GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, I gotta tell you, I am *LOVING* this car. It would take a lot longer to describe what I like about it as compared to what I don't like. That being said, one question I have for people who drive these..............

How has the *feeling* of the car's size changed over time as you've driven it? It feels quite large to me. I look at the numbers and it's only 12" longer and 5" wider than what I was driving, but it *feels* like it's a few feet longer and maybe 2-5 feet wider. ;) Overall how has parking lot maneuerability been? For how large it seems the visibility out the back when backing up seems very good. The seats seem to be set low enough that the captain chair headrests don't block rear visibility. That helps a lot.

I'm thinking/hoping that, with time, the size will become "normal" to me and it won't seem quite so voluminous.

Jim

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, I agree. Before I have own one it seem to me was just right size. Now, I think it big and wide SUV. But it handles not like a truck, I meant standard SUV. I had own for long period time Explorer, and I tell you Ford was a truck. I really happy with this selection from all 7-8 passengers CUV's . All other CUV or wherever it call them, have some negative sides, Mazda very stiff for long driving, Hyundai's third row is not wide enough and cargo area too small, Toyota has same as Hyundai problems and too soft, Acura way up with a price tag, Honda pilot = box on the wheels, too square, Subaru has not a space enough.
By the way magazine Car and Driver rate Acadia as a big SUV.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have an Outlook XR and at first it did show its larger size. A week later and the Outlook was the right size. It's easy to maneuver and does not drive like a truck. After driving my wife's L-Series wagon for a week while the service dept hunted for a water leak, the Outlook was a welcome sight. I had a free rental, but it sucked-'07 Cobalt.
For the TCM/ECM update, I was given an '08 Trailblazer LT 4x4 as a free rental. I thought it was a 1998 vehicle due to the severely date interior and sea of rubber which was the dash. It definitely drove like a truck and was so small compared to my Outlook. The steering was heavy and it seemed to take up a lot of room. It wasn't an entirely bad vehicle, but once again I welcomed the better fit of my Outlook.
So give it a little time and you'll be whipping it around like a car. For me at least, it's easy to judge the corners of the vehicle in respect to things around it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think it drives very easily, much like a car. I find it impossible to judge width and distance for the rear. I've had the car for 3 weeks now, and I still won't parallel park it for fear of bumping another car.

Also, the rear visibility is TERRIBLE! I can't see the grill of regular cars that are behind me on the highway, and I can't see anything when reversing.

I did not get the ultrasonic parking, but I wish I did. I am putting in an aftermarket system next week, because the visibility is so bad.

Other than that, I LOVE the car.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
To me it seems much smaller driving that it is. If you are comparing it to a Ford Explorer, then I would expect you to think it seems bigger as it is a bunch bigger than the Explorer. It is more comparable in size to the bigger Ford Expedition.

If you look at the Acadia -vs- the Expedition, you will find it is the same width, the same wheel base, and the Acadia has more maximum cargo capacity. I think the biggest difference is that the Expedition is a truck. It can tow 9000 lbs vs the max 4500 that the Acadia can tow. This is reflected in the rated highway mileage of 17 too.

A friend of mine and I bought our cars the same week. He got the Expedition and I got the Acadia. He has an 8000 lb camper to tow and I don't. If you drive an Expedition, and then drive an Acadia, the Acadia feels much smaller, but in reality, when parked between two cars in a parking spot is the same width and when loading it up with all the seats down, can actually haul more.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I drive our old Blazer all week and get to drive the Acadia on the weekends (wife's car). It is a much bigger vehicle than the Blazer but the Blazer does drive like a truck, has much poorer acceleration and handling but can tow more, lower gas mileage too. The Acadia is a bit mor difficult to maneuver into the garage but the rear camera makes it a lot easier and backing into any parking spot is a breeze with it, one of the best options in my opinion. It is a lot more sure footed and is a pleasure to drive on the highway. Taking it up North over Thanksgiving, first long trip with it and am very excited to leave the Blazer at home this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Acadia sure fills up a garage. I'm glad I have the foldable mirrors. But it has surprising manueverability. The rear vision is horrible, but between the camera, the ultrasonic warning, and the option to fold the passender side-view mirror down when in reverse, it isn't that hard to parallel park.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered my SLE Acadia after one test drive. I drove my 96 Jimmy for 12 years. This is a big smooth beast that sucks gas worst than my Jimmy in town but rides like my SLS Caddy. After driving it for six weeks now, rear vision is my worst complaint. I would have ordered the convenience package to have the backup sensors (rear parking assist). As big as this car is, this should be a standard item from GM. Try backing this up without the RPA!

I plan on writing GMC to let them know how I really feel. It's an accident waiting to happen. To get the backup camera, you have to order SLT4 with the full nav system. I did not want leather!

The design really is sharp, but rear vision is totally worthless.

Two things I really screwed up when I placed my order was not ordering the convenience & the Bose radio system. I was never informed the radio upgrade included the dual front climate controls. The dealer did not know this. The GMC web site states nothing about being part of the package. I think the Bose system is overrated, but to have front dual climate controls to keep my wife from always saying, " I am too cold " would have been worth ever penny for that upgrade.

Pat

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm looking at either an Acadia or Outlook, and the rear vision is my biggest concern. GM really needs to take safety seriously. The rear parking sensors should be standard equipment, plus the rear camera should be available without getting the NAV system (just have an adapter than can be used to hook up a camera using the existing wiring in back and have a separate screen that works in the rear view mirror or something). This can even be a dealer-installed option. I think it would be a big seller, and give GM POSITIVE publicity about taking a proactive stand on safety for this SUV where rear visibility is poor. They could even use it in their advertisements as well and one-up the competition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an Outlook and have no problems with the rear vision... my problems arise with my front end judgment. I tend to think the nose is longer than it is. My last vehicle was a Dodge Grand Caravan so that may be why the rear vision isn't affecting me. I do also have the sensors but find I rarely need to use them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am trading in my 03 Suburban, which I don't mind driving or parking, so I am hoping the Acadia is going to be OK to park as well. I didn't opt for the rear parking aid or the camera...........Maybe I should have after reading some of the complaints on visibility??? My Acadia should be here any day....yahoo!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having gone from a Honda Pilot to the Acadia, I realize that the crossover is indeed larger, but it is no big deal. I tend to notice it the most when pulling into the garage as it is wider than a lot of SUVs. I also agree that I often overestimate how far the front end end sticks out. I think I am too far forward, when in fact I still have some room ahead.

Driving it, however, is not a bit different and I never think of the increased size from what I had been used to. I surmised that the rear visibility would be a problem, but that also was unfounded.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Old Timer said:
I ordered my SLE Acadia after one test drive. I drove my 96 Jimmy for 12 years. This is a big smooth beast that sucks gas worst than my Jimmy in town but rides like my SLS Caddy. After driving it for six weeks now, rear vision is my worst complaint. I would have ordered the convenience package to have the backup sensors (rear parking assist). As big as this car is, this should be a standard item from GM. Try backing this up without the RPA!

I plan on writing GMC to let them know how I really feel. It's an accident waiting to happen. To get the backup camera, you have to order SLT4 with the full nav system. I did not want leather!

The design really is sharp, but rear vision is totally worthless.

Two things I really screwed up when I placed my order was not ordering the convenience & the Bose radio system. I was never informed the radio upgrade included the dual front climate controls. The dealer did not know this. The GMC web site states nothing about being part of the package. I think the Bose system is overrated, but to have front dual climate controls to keep my wife from always saying, " I am too cold " would have been worth ever penny for that upgrade.

Pat
Okay, confession time. I swore I'd never tell anybody else this, but it underscores how bad the rear visibility is.

I backed in to the wall of the dealership when I picked up my car. I never even saw it. Did $1200 worth of damage to my brand new car! Hadn't even put a mile on it yet.

I did not order the convenience package, but boy do I wish I did! I went right out and purchased an aftermarket backup assist system. It's being installed next friday.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I gotta say: get the rear camera. It's not just the Acadia. Try a CX-9 (MT SUV OTY), it has the same issue. It's the third row. There is no point of making the rear window lower than would otherwise be obscured by the seat anyway. The CX-9 did have an option to have the rear camera show in a tiny screen in the rear-view mirror so you could forgo the NAV. I think most drivers will adapt. I may be biased since I used to drive for UPS -- no rear view at all, and you're backing up all the time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Having had ours for all of 3 days..........it is bigger *seeming* than it looks, for sure. I had a minivan and this thing seems so much bigger--- makes us so happy we didn't get a Yukon/Escalade!! And I totally cannot even imagine backing up without the camera--- it is worth every penny on our street that is full of kids running everywhere.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I don't have the camera, but do have the back up sensors. I find that the sensors work great and have had no problems with backing. I agree that backing without some kind of assistance would be difficult.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I back mine into my small garage door opening every night...you get used to it. It certainly has worse rear vision than my snowmobile. ;D I did get the backup alerts, those do come in handy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
FYI.

I added an aftermarket backup sensor system. BOY does that help. I can now park this thing with much more confidence. The best part is, the system I had put in blends right in with the car, just like the factory system. I got an Audiovox audio only system, with 2 sensors.

1 thing to note. Since the system is wired to the tail lights there is 1 annoying issue. The auto light feature will turn on the parking lights at night, so if you happen to walk behind your car, or go to get something out of the cargo area, the stupid sensors will continue to beep.

Of course, this only happens at night, and it's a small price to pay, so I don't back into anymore walls.

·
Registered
46 Posts
At first it seemed to be big, but after a while it drives a lot smaller than it really is. I have rear sensors, and I am not one for parallel parking (use to make me nervous). But now I am able to fit into place I thought impossible because of the warning system. Can't say enough about what a great decision this was as my family hauler. :thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm coming from a Ford Ranger long bed and the Acadia doesn't really feel much bigger. According to the specs on edmunds.com, the Acadia is only 4 inches longer, but is about 9 inches wider. I can definitely tell the extra 9 inches in the interior width, but I really don't feel that the exterior seems much bigger. Of course the sightlines out the rear aren't as good in the Acadia due to the additional number of pillars and head rests. But for me, it really does drive much smaller than one might think.

Also, my wife's Toyota Avalon is only about 3 inches shorter and about 5 inches "skinnier" than the Acadia.

So I guess after looking at those specs, that explains why it really doesn't seem big to navigate for me.

Now if you want big, try out a big ol' 4-Door Ford F350. I borrowed my brother-in-law's several months ago and wow, that just seemed like a behemoth. In addition to the length and girth, the seating position was just so high. It seemed like you were looking over the top of all the other SUVs on the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts