GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leather seats are great(soft and comfortable), but they are hot in the "buns" area! Do you have any suggestions for aerating(cool padding) the seat in hot weather? This is my first experience with leather seating, so I would appreciate any input. :help:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Auto start the car. I have the ebony leather in Houston. The leather doesn't seem as hot as my husband's black leather. I auto start it and the seats are coool by the time I sit!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wear pants. Seriously. Shorts are lame on leather. I stick to jeans and capris and long bermuda's and I am fine in leather. I know hot - I am in Phoenix! Also, Autostart is good!! We test drove an Expedition during our process that had AC cooled seats - it was weird.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmsimpson said:
Wear pants. Seriously. Shorts are lame on leather. I stick to jeans and capris and long bermuda's and I am fine in leather. I know hot - I am in Phoenix! Also, Autostart is good!! We test drove an Expedition during our process that had AC cooled seats - it was weird.
Thanks for the input - that will work for the first few minutes, but I need a long term fix for while I'm driving. The AC doesn't quite go where it's needed! Those air conditioned seats on the Expedition sound great, but I don't think a retrofit can be done. I've seen a beaded pad in some taxis, but I don't have any direct feedback on how good(comfortable) they are. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm in Texas and have the ebony leather. I have not had any heat issues at all, and I don't even have the remote start feature. It sounds like you are still hot after the Acadia has had time to cool off. If so, that sounds unusual.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
deanne said:
I'm in Texas and have the ebony leather. I have not had any heat issues at all, and I don't even have the remote start feature. It sounds like you are still hot after the Acadia has had time to cool off. If so, that sounds unusual.
Yup, the rest of the car is cool, even cold, but I need extra ventilation "where the sun don't shine" to be comfortable. Have you used any sheepskin or similar materials with success?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Leather can be hot on hot humid days, but it's not nearly as bad as vinyl. The problem is that leather does not breathe as well as cloth. One simple solution is too put a thin cotton towel on the seat on the very hot days or you can put an aftermarket seat cover on the seat in the summer months. Neither solution is ideal, but is better than being uncomfortable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sheepskin works great. I had a 'S10 Blazer' (in the 80's) that had sheepskin inserts in the buckets, great during the hot summer months and cold winter months... have not found them sense on any vehicle.

At present I have a G35 Sedan with leather seats - I use a huge, thick beach towel plus a custom made heat shield for
the windshield to block the sun when the car is empty when in use. I put the towel over the seat when I exit and sit
on it when I return if the weather is really hot.

When we get our Acadia (Black/Brick) I will use the beach towels again until I can decide whether to get custom sheepskin
covers made.

Cathyn

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cathyn said:
Sheepskin works great. I had a 'S10 Blazer' (in the 80's) that had sheepskin inserts in the buckets, great during the hot summer months and cold winter months... have not found them sense on any vehicle.

At present I have a G35 Sedan with leather seats - I use a huge, thick beach towel plus a custom made heat shield for
the windshield to block the sun when the car is empty when in use. I put the towel over the seat when I exit and sit
on it when I return if the weather is really hot.

When we get our Acadia (Black/Brick) I will use the beach towels again until I can decide whether to get custom sheepskin
covers made.

Cathyn
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info. I needed. Wish my poor buns luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good luck poor buns. ;D

·
Registered
683 Posts
You don't happen to have heated seats in there do ya? If so make sure they are turned off. I am not trying to be a smart*ss, but this could be a simple problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts