GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling the Acadia in for the night and before I shifted out of park I reached down and popped the hood. I then received a hood open warning on the DIC; I thought that was pretty cool. Just thought I would share because I didn't realize there was a sensor to monitor that

·
Registered
533 Posts
Isn't it fun finding something new that was built into the design of our cars? The Acadia is definitely full of clever & well-planned design elements! I'm sure there are at least a couple of things I haven't found yet :)

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the battery saver message was a new one for me as well; sounds like it saved a potential problem

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
A month or so after I got my Acadia last fall I was driving somewhere one evening -- probably in the Sierras -- and the temp dropped to the freezing point and suddenly the DIC lit up: "Roadway may be icy". A nice safety warning. Those of you who live in cold climes and have owned your Acadia awhile have probably seen that many times, but it was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought it was pretty cool (sorry, corny pun unavoidable).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I'm curious as to the reason for these warnings being there. Is it out of the goodness of someone's heart, new technology, or was it a case where this had happened to perhaps 1 or 2 of several hundred thousand vehicles built and resulted in a lawsuit?

A fine example is the TPMS (tire pressure monitors) that are government mandated since 2007 for most 2008+ vehicles:
The Firestone recall in the United States in the late 1990s which was attributed to more than 100 deaths1 from rollovers following a tire tread-separation, pushed the Clinton administration to publish the TREAD Act. This act mandates the use of a suitable TPM technology in order to alert drivers of a severe under-inflation condition of their tires. This act affects all light motor vehicles (<10,000 lb) sold after 1 September 2007.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_pressure_monitoring_system

I'll bet the ice warning et al being mandated will not be far behind.

In my experience, it could be argued that the next government mandated device will be one to protect motorists from their inabilities to safely operate a motor vehicle. It would be a distance-sensing unit (similar to the ultrasonic warning device on our Acadias) that can apply the brakes when you get close enough to run into something based on distance and speed. It would need some sort of acronym, though, such as Cranial Rectal Accident Prevention. ;D

And some wonder why new vehicles cost so much. :(

1 While any death is a tragic event, 100 over a period of several years is statistically insignificant based on an average mortality rate of 40-50,000/year. A TPMS is fine, but if drivers will not maintain their vehicle to this degree w/o one, is a warning lamp suddenly going to make them do so?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts