GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought and installed one of these yet, i had one on my 4runner from Lund and it looked really nice not sure if it does anything but looks are everything.... :blob:

http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=71127

I was wondering about the installation steps of the OEM version, i know the LUND version was very easy to install and did not require any holes or anything.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Might look sharp, or it could look weird covering the top of the chrome that's currently there. Is the edge big enough to take hits from rocks, etc? (Still waiting for mine!)

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I usually put a hood deflector on my SUV's but as Cravenfan states, it would cover the chrome on the nose so I don't think that I will put one on the Acadia.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The nice thing it would protect the "chrome" which is really plastic, and when it gets hit with a rock, which mine has already, it scratches pretty easy.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Good point!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think there are lots of clear hood protectors on e-vil-bay. That way your chrome accent is still visible.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There may even be a chrome deflector out there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just not for the Acadia, yet. The only one I have been able to find are the GM Accessory ones. I'm sure this will change as more of the vehicles hit the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:thumb: deflector or not, that front end, to me is about the coolest, cleanest, sweetest looking nose on any SUV, period! :love:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I ordered the hood deflector, side window deflectors, mud flaps and cargo mats from the dealer right after we got the Acadia, mid March. Got everything but the hood deflector less than a week later. As of today the deflector still shows as not released yet (from the factory). My parts guy says he has called repeatedly on this. He says that photo in this thread looks like a photoshop mockup, he doesn't think that's how they will actually look. Seems strange that they'd have part # and price before it's available, he said GM does this all the time with new model accessories. I just want to cut down on the bugs on the front and windshield. Some vehicles the deflectors worked great, some not. I'll let you know if it ever shows up, with a photo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
wearefla said:
I ordered the hood deflector, side window deflectors, mud flaps and cargo mats from the dealer right after we got the Acadia, mid March. Got everything but the hood deflector less than a week later. As of today the deflector still shows as not released yet (from the factory). My parts guy says he has called repeatedly on this. He says that photo in this thread looks like a photoshop mockup, he doesn't think that's how they will actually look. Seems strange that they'd have part # and price before it's available, he said GM does this all the time with new model accessories. I just want to cut down on the bugs on the front and windshield. Some vehicles the deflectors worked great, some not. I'll let you know if it ever shows up, with a photo.
I also got all those and have already received them. I ordered them from other places than the dealer, save the cargo area mat which they threw in. The saturn deflector part number is in stock everywhere, but the gmc and buick numbers are not. I have removed the side deflectors, they are noisy and do not offer much in terms of rain protection while freeway driving like my Tacoma deflectors did. I got my money back on them, thankfully. The mud flaps and the molded splashguards were useless as well, offering little to no protection for the body itself, but did a great job catching dirt and rubbing while going over speedbumps, also refunded those! The deflector seems to be working fine. Aerodynamically speaking, it is no hit to mileage that I can tell thusfar. Makes no noise that I can tell either. It's pretty sturdy, the little bumpstops you put on the hood are in constant contact supporting the deflector. Install is easy as can be, if you can put two screws into the inserts provided.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're right on with the mud flaps, the contoured's are a waste, and I've heard the moulded are too low. Didn't notice any noise on the window deflectors, and they work fine in the rain for us. Did notice the noise changed on the sunroof deflector, don't know if it's louder, but with the sunroof open driving around town the sound is different. Good to hear on the hood deflector, where did you get it from, how much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
got it from saturnaccessories.com. Shipping was cheap and very quick for being TX to CA. took about 5 days from click to install. Price w/shipping was 85 bucks. The side deflectors seemed to allow the water to move from the windshield, across the deflector, then whipped by the wind into the vehicle at the back of the window. almost an aspirated effect I guess.

·
Registered
123 Posts
there is a product called the "invisible edge" it's like a decal. its supposed to last a long long time, not sure how long but it comes w/a warranty. my sister has it on her infiniti FX45. ask your dealership about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MsS42 said:
there is a product called the "invisible edge" it's like a decal. its supposed to last a long long time, not sure how long but it comes w/a warranty. my sister has it on her infiniti FX45. ask your dealership about it.
That stuff sucks if you ask me. I've seen many light colored vehicles with that stuff on them and the material eventually begins to break down and absorb contaminants from the air, causing it to yellow. Might've been the quality of materials or workmanship, but it was on a mercedes, so I figure it should've been done pretty close to right. I prefer to have something that I can replace easily at a low cost, while adding some aesthetic features.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I've bought and installed the full interior mat package, the window vents, the molded mud flaps (I like them). Would have bought the Hood Deflector, but it did not look like it had much of a deflector feature on the upper ridge. Down here on the Gulf Coast, we have a little beast called "Love Bugs" that plaster everything (and you better wash them off quick unless you like a polka dot paint job) and with my other vehicles I have deflectors with a high top lip that does a great job in directing most bugs, stones, wind up over the winshield.
This GM item shown is too low to deflect much of anything. I sure hope to see a real one in a photo soon, no one seems to be making one other than GM yet! :confused:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I guess I am one of those that adding outside accessories makes any vehicle look cheesy, especially hood deflectors which really distracts from the beauty of any front end and overall looks of a fine piece of art. Then the smoke side window deflectors against a light color vehicle, makes me really laugh! I prefer a clean appearing vehicle to show it's beauty. Do you see bug shields, mud flaps.....etc at car shows? Wonder why? Some touch up paint with a solid paint sealant makes for a fine looking Acadia! Just sharing my thoughts! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Deflectors/masks down here on the Gulf Coast are nice to have the first time our local locust the "Love Bug" attacks. When you drive through a swarm it is like somebody shot at you with buckshot, and if you do not wash off the guts in the summer sun, the chemicals will burn right thought the best paint. :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
teetertotter said:
Do you see bug shields, mud flaps.....etc at car shows? Wonder why?
Well, I have a hood deflector and the reason I put on is to keep from getting more stone chips on my hood. Unlike most show cars I like to drive my cars. I don't have time to keep on touching up the paint on the hood, especially during a salty winter. I drive a lot on the freeway and while I avoid tailgating gravel haulers I won't swerve just because of a flying stone.

I agree that the side window vents are tacky but they are really helpful during the summer - If I didn't have remote start I'd probably get a set to help keep the interior cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The GM hood deflector will be available soon. I have been selling a lot of the accessories to the Acadia Forum people. If anyone is interested please contact me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts