Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I tried to program the home link today. No luck. I can't get it to do anything - not even a light. I've never had a problem with home link transmitters before. Any ideas? Do I somehow have to activate it or turn it on for the first time? I'm beginning to think it's DOA. :help:

Kelly

·
Registered
322 Posts
Re: Home Link

added poll... :cheers:

Adam

·
Registered
306 Posts

Kelly,

I had no problem--just followed instructions from Owners Manual, page 151.

If you have done that and it still doesn't work, the owners manual says:
"For help or information on the Universal Home Remote System, call the customer assistance phone number under Customer Assistance Offices on page 522."
1-800-GMC-8782 (462-8782)
1-800-GMC-8583 (462-8583)

Page 151- Programming the Universal Home Remote System[/color]
Follow these steps to program up to three devices:
1. Press and hold down the two outside Universal Home Remote buttons, releasing only when the Universal Home Remote indicator light begins to flash, after 20 seconds. Do not hold down the buttons for longer than 30 seconds and do not repeat this step to program a second and/or third hand-held transmitter to the remaining two Universal Home Remote buttons.

2. Hold the end of your hand-held transmitter about 1 to 3 inches (3 to 8 cm) away from the Universal Home Remote buttons while keeping the indicator light in view.

3. At the same time, press and hold both the desired Universal Home Remote button and the hand-held transmitter button. Do not release the buttons until Step 4 has been completed.

4. The indicator light will flash slowly at first and then rapidly after Universal Home Remote successfully receives the frequency signal from the hand-held transmitter. Release both buttons.

5. Press and hold the newly-trained Universal Home Remote button and observe the indicator light.
If the indicator light stays on continuously, programming is complete and your device should activate when the Universal Home Remote button is pressed and released.
To program the remaining two Universal Home Remote buttons, begin with Step 2 under “Programming Universal Home Remote.” Do not repeat Step 1 as this will erase all of the programmed channels.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for two seconds and then turns to a constant light, continue with Steps 6 through 8 following to complete the programming of a rolling-code device, most commonly, a garage door opener.

6. Locate in the garage, the garage door opener receiver (motor-head unit). Locate the “Learn” or “Smart” button. This can usually be found where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the motor-head unit.

7. Firmly press and release the “Learn” or “Smart” button. The name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer.
You will have 30 seconds to start Step 8.

8. Return to the vehicle. Firmly press and hold the programmed Universal Home Remote button for two seconds, then release it. Immediately press and hold the same button a second time for two seconds, then release it. Immediately, press and hold the same button a third time for two seconds, then release.
The Universal Home Remote should now activate the rolling-code device.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks. I tried all that. Could never get the indicator light to come on - solid, flashing or otherwise. I called the 1-800 number; they're closed on Saturdays. Guess I'll try on Monday.

Kelly

·
Registered
112 Posts

Worked as described for me.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I waited a couple of hours, and then tried it again. This time it worked just fine. I have no idea why it didn't work before (no lights appeared at all). Perhaps letting it sit for a couple of hours caused (or allowed) it to reset itself.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. All is well again.

Kelly

·
Registered
306 Posts

Kelly,

I love a good ending to a story!

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

THis was resolved so fast the original poster didn't even get time to vote YES ;)

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

USER ERROR

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

NY_Joe said:
USER ERROR
No doubt. ::) The question is, what did I do wrong the first time? I followed the directions exactly (I have programmed numerous home link transmitters in the past). The buttons were totally unresposive, and the little light never came on. After I waited a couple of hours, it worked exactly as it was supposed to.

Not a big deal.

Kelly

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

I had something similar happen on another car, although I tried it again right away and it worked. Maybe your finger rocked or something and it registered as two button pushes instead of one long push... who knows.

·
Registered
306 Posts

If I was Kelly . . . I'd just let it drop . . .there isn't a lot of sympathy available o this forum at times.

As we use to say in the computer business--PIBCAK (Problem is between chair and keyboard).

SMILE!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

002 said:
If I was Kelly . . . I'd just let it drop . . .there isn't a lot of sympathy available o this forum at times.

As we use to say in the computer business--PIBCAK (Problem is between chair and keyboard).

SMILE!

LOL!!!

A guy in my IT deptuses that phrase.

Most of the time its true.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Moving along . . .

(It's a good thing I like you guys! :banghead:)

Kelly

·
Registered
80 Posts

The only other thing I wish they told us...in step (7), be sure to press and release the LEARN button on the door opener fairly quickly ....because if you hold the LEARN button in for more than 5 seconds, it will erase the codes from any other remotes you have (wireless keypads, other cars, etc.)

It took me a few days to figure out that I was erasing every other code and "hosing" all the other remotes by holding ths LEARN key in when I programmed my car.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

Ouch! That's a hard way to learn that lesson. Thanks for sharing and possibly keeping one of us from learning it the same way...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts