GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All because I purchased an Acadia? Yikes man. I just went on Progressive's web site...it's...$610 cheaper a year. Holy cow. What am I driving...a sports car????

For my coverage, Cincinnati Insurance is charging me $1209 for the Acadia. Progressive is charging me $612 a year for the same exact coverage...wait, I take that back...the rental car coverage is better with Progressive. I just tried my wife's minivan...and it came out $75 higher a year on Progressive vs. Cincinnati.

I'm calling my insurance agent tomorrow to cancel...had it for a whopping eight days.

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW!! that's crazy. when we traded in my wifes kia sorento for our acadia the insurence didn't change a bit for us. that's just crazy!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Acadia is $750 less per year with Liberty Mutual than the V8 5-speed Mustang GT convertible I traded in. The Acadia gets better mileage too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just talked to my insurance agent. The reason why it's so much more is how they come up with the rating basis value or current market value. They assign a vehicle with a number...then use some sort of secret formula based on that number and many other factors to derive a yearly premium.

They assigned the Acadia a value of 20.

My Grand Prix was 12. My wife's Silhouette is an 11.

I have never had any kind of ticket...and no accidents EVER reported in my 18 year driving history.

I told my agent that I was able to get it $600 cheaper at Progressive than Cincinnati's insurance...he appologized and said he wish he could do better...but it's totally out of his hands...and that he understands why I'm switching.

I'm still keeping my wife's minivan with them since it's $75 or so cheaper a year. Plus, I have my homeowner's insurance with them. Crazy stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My Acadia runs me $969.40 a year with State Farm for 100K/300K coverage. It's actually gone down about $84 a year since I bought it in March.

I paid roughly $900 a year for the Vue AWD with lesser limits, so I'd say that it's actually cheaper to insure my Acadia. I don't have a multiple car discount, but I do have my homeowner's policy with them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Swapped my '01 Stratus for the '08 Acadia and my insurance went up roughly $200 a year.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Swapped my 2001 Montana for the 2008 Acadia and the rate went up $160 per year with the same coverage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have learned over the years to shop my car and homeowners insurance around. Over the past 7 years I have been with AAA, State Farm, Michigan Millers, back to AAA and now have been with Citizens for the past 8 months. When I turned 30 and qualified for a rate decline I called AAA and they indeed verified that I could receive one. They would not have reduced my rate automatically for 10 more months but since I "caught" them early they would lower it. When I asked them if I could have gotten a refund for the extra months at the higher rate they declined (I thought I actually heard them snicker on the other end of the phone), GOODBYE! Citizens saved me over $800/year combined on two vehicles and my home. My Acadia is an extra $676/year when I added it last week. I would say that I am pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Web Raven said:
My Acadia runs me $969.40 a year with State Farm for 100K/300K coverage. It's actually gone down about $84 a year since I bought it in March.

I paid roughly $900 a year for the Vue AWD with lesser limits, so I'd say that it's actually cheaper to insure my Acadia. I don't have a multiple car discount, but I do have my homeowner's policy with them.
Same here. I paid 900 a year with my VUE with Progressive. Outlook was 40 dollar increase a year. Same limits

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just filled out the info to get a quote from Safeco Insurance through AAA. It's even cheaper...$870 for both cars...for the same coverage...for an entire year. Cincy Insurance is charging me $1209 a year JUST for the Acadia.

Amazing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ours went down about $4 a month to 58/month for 100/300 with 500 deductible at State Farm from our 04 Grand Cherokee V8.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am currently paying $704 (6 months) for a '03 Jetta and '07 Outlook with 100/300K coverage.

I was paying $903 for same coverage with a Lexus IS300 instead of the Outlook.

Not too bad considering I am in Miami-Dade County, one of the highest rate zones in the nation.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
We were paying about $480/year for our '02 Odyssey. The Acadia is right around $600/year. We have State Farm and have our homeowners policy with them too.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I know this topic has been visited before, but maybe as insurance agent has joined our ranks since this topic was last visited.
For the next six months of our insurance policy our '08 Acadia rates went down $19 on the comp coverage, and $31 on the broad collision for the upcoming payment, while the 03 Venture went up $2 & $5 for the same items respectively.
So the Acadia rates (vehicle #2 on the policy) went from $494 to $444 for six months, but the older vehicle went up $5. Is that because Acadia parts are easier to come by then 6 months ago? If so, wouldn't the Venture rates stay down?
(If the insurance company knew how much time our Acadia spent in the shop they'd drop our rates even further, but that's another story ;D)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Jello said:
I have learned over the years to shop my car and homeowners insurance around. Over the past 7 years I have been with AAA, State Farm, Michigan Millers, back to AAA and now have been with Citizens for the past 8 months. When I turned 30 and qualified for a rate decline I called AAA and they indeed verified that I could receive one. They would not have reduced my rate automatically for 10 more months but since I "caught" them early they would lower it. When I asked them if I could have gotten a refund for the extra months at the higher rate they declined (I thought I actually heard them snicker on the other end of the phone), GOODBYE! Citizens saved me over $800/year combined on two vehicles and my home. My Acadia is an extra $676/year when I added it last week. I would say that I am pleased with the outcome.
I also do this, probably not as often as I should. We saved a couple hundred a year with Geico recently, but it was due to 21st Century sending me a nastygram about having 6 cars w/ only 2 drivers. My older/modified cars are with a specialty company & only a few hundred a year for all 4 of them.

It pays to shop, I'd say at least once a year. Judging by the number of car insurance ads on TV, it must really be a competitive business.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I go out for competitive bids every 2-3 years. I have been with same independent agent for 5 years as Travelers Insurance continues to perform best Premium results. Homes owners with million dollar rider is also with Travelers.
I also prefer, if I ever have to file a claim, I don't have to use an 800#. My independent agent is right here to handle everything. For both cars with wife and I, our annual premium is $768.00 w $500.00 deductible.

·
Registered
370 Posts
teetertotter said:
I go out for competitive bids every 2-3 years. I have been with same independent agent for 5 years as Travelers Insurance continues to perform best Premium results. Homes owners with million dollar rider is also with Travelers.
I also prefer, if I ever have to file a claim, I don't have to use an 800#. My independent agent is right here to handle everything. For both cars with wife and I, our annual premium is $768.00 w $500.00 deductible.
I have Travelers too and pay the EXACT same $768 w $500 deductible for excellent coverage. I did have to file a claim and the process was fast & easy. (Will find out this summer if my rate went up!) Had Countrywide for years and was paying more for less coverage on an older vehicle. At the time it was the best deal I could get. Ended up saving $500 a year between my home and vehicle insurance! YES, it pays to shop around. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,560 Posts
Same car - same insurance - moved 15 miles and the insurance dropped $1,250.00/yr. Can anyone figure that out? I moved from just inside the Baltimore Beltway (could see it from my yard) to a few miles outside the Beltway.

Insurance is a nasty game but you gotta have it!

Everyone's throwing out interesting numbers here, but what are the particulars? Do you or anyone in your family drive like a butthead?
Do you have children who also drive? Do you have multiple cars, homes, etc., etc.

No one needs to answer this post, but if you go from skateboard to Acadia the rates go up! If you go from top-fuel funny car to Acadia, the rates go down! If you slide over from 4-door sedan to Acadia, you might get a bit of a break for some newer safety features and whatnot. That's enough for now. Gotta go see if I owe B.O any money. It stinks, yes, but it's tax day! Later.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
speleos said:
Same car - same insurance - moved 15 miles and the insurance dropped $1,250.00/yr. Can anyone figure that out? I moved from just inside the Baltimore Beltway (could see it from my yard) to a few miles outside the Beltway.

Insurance is a nasty game but you gotta have it!

Everyone's throwing out interesting numbers here, but what are the particulars? Do you or anyone in your family drive like a butthead?
Do you have children who also drive? Do you have multiple cars, homes, etc., etc.

No one needs to answer this post, but if you go from skateboard to Acadia the rates go up! If you go from top-fuel funny car to Acadia, the rates go down! If you slide over from 4-door sedan to Acadia, you might get a bit of a break for some newer safety features and whatnot. That's enough for now. Gotta go see if I owe B.O any money. It stinks, yes, but it's tax day! Later.
We got zapped by State Farm when our oldest kid was added several years ago (now on their own). That prompted our move to AIG later 21st Century. Our "normal" policy has the Acadia, Challenger, Durango, Trans Am, '91 BMW, and Daytona. GEICO has been decent so far, our youngest has a learner license and when added to the '91 BMW they didn't increase the rates... yet.

I think with AIG our rates stayed about the same from the '01 Durango to the '09 Acadia- I know it was not a big change either way.

My insurance gripe as opined elsewhere here is the credit check performed for homeowner's insurance. This practice is something that should be made illegal.

Do you or anyone in your family drive like a butthead?
Depends on how you define butthead. As my friend at the esteemed trial lawyer firm of Willwe, Suem, and Howe told me: Could be. However, there is no one else around at the time. If a tree falls in the woods and no one can hear it, is there any noise? ;)

Gotta go see if I owe B.O any money. It stinks, yes, but it's tax day!
I'll refer my right honorable friend to the post I made some days ago. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I have been with State Farm for 13 years and Mrs Simms works for another major insurance provider. To this day no other insurance provider can beat State Farms rates, not even with an "employee discount" that Mrs Simms could get with her employer. We look around for other insurance, but to this day State Farm has our business and will continue. Our agent was marvelous when we worked our collision.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts