GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the thread about bikes, hitches and the lack of the towing option on the Acadia. While the thread implies it is possible the jargon used (I am a "hitching, towing" novice) is beyond me.

I have a 2008 Acadia SLT but without the towing package. I would like to get some kind of bike mount that would hold between 2 now and possibly 4 bikes someday on the rear liftgate or via some kind of hitch (not that I am even really sure what a hitch is, I think I know... :help:). Can someone break down 1) what I need to buy (very specifically, ie. part numbers if factory stuff, model numbers of 3rd party stuff etc.) and 2) who I need to ask (dealer? some other auto type shop?) to make modifications if necessary? Also when not mounting bikes are these kind of mounts easy to remove?

Summary: I am an ignorant fool when it comes to this, but I want to bring my wife and my bike to the local forest preserve with my Acadia. Help me. :cheers:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well in this case all you will need is the hitch and if you want there is a cover that hide the hitch when not in use. You can get the hitch at most any place that services trailers, like U-haul. My hitch was made by Valley Hitch Company, if you type that name into Google they will come up and they have a application guide on the site that will tell you what hitch you will need. Then go to your dealer and tell them you want the bumper hitch cover, if you go and look at other's sitting on the lot you will see one with the bumper just like yours and others that have a bump out where the hitch is being hidden. Yes easy to setup in your case, the hitch install should take you about 15 minutes or less.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so... if i get this right:

1) i need a hitch. i have seen a few hitches online (such as those from hidden hitch) for the acadia for around $110-150. any specific recommendations because some folks on this board say their aftermarket hitches make rubbing noises etc. with the exhaust system?

2) is the installation of a hitch easy enough i could do it myself, or will the slight adjustments to the exhaust system mean i need get the dealer to do it? not trying to save money really, just i hate to pay for something that might be a "screw it in and your done" type of job. obviously i am no mechanic.

3) what bike rack should i get to attach to the 2 inch hitch? i see there is a GM product but are aftermarket stuff like from Thule any better?

4) with a bike rack i don't need to worry about wiring new lights do I?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check out www.orsracksdirect.com , they have a great selection of hitches, from 2 to 5 bikes. I bought the Yakima Kingpin 4 from them, it works great on the back of my Outlook. If you watch for sales, you may be able to get it shipped for free.

You do not need to worry about the wiring harness when using a hitch-mounted bike rack.

·
Registered
428 Posts
A quick warning about the hitch platform made by valley. I bought one and put it on my Acadia. The way it is made lets it hit the exhaust when you hit a bump or rough place in the road. It makes a lot of aggravating noise. I ended up buying the OEM GM made hitch and it solved the problem. I have been told that this is not a problem on the other Lambda's because the exhaust is routed differently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dfrank78 said:
A quick warning about the hitch platform made by valley. I bought one and put it on my Acadia. The way it is made lets it hit the exhaust when you hit a bump or rough place in the road. It makes a lot of aggravating noise.
How long ago did you try this one? I have had mine on for a month now and no problems, lots of room.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought and installed the Valley hitch in Feburary, and replaced it the first part of March after I realized that it was causing all the noise. Something else I didnt like about the Valley after I put it on was it only used six bolts to install and the factory hitch uses 8.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Regarding the difficulty in installing your hitch...if you're comfortable using a set of rachet wrenches you should be just fine. The hitch will use existing holes drilled/tapped into the body of the vehicle. You may need to pick out some of the insulating foam from a few holes with a screwdriver, so the bolts can get started. Depending on how dexterious you are, you may not even need to lower the exhaust, but if you do, it's just held up with some rubber hangers. You can easily do this job yourself in a half hour or less.

·
Registered
40 Posts
dfrank78 said:
I bought and installed the Valley hitch in Feburary, and replaced it the first part of March after I realized that it was causing all the noise. Something else I didnt like about the Valley after I put it on was it only used six bolts to install and the factory hitch uses 8.
Well I looked under the Acadia today when I got home, my hitch is no where near the mufflers and I shook them hard trying to make them hit, nothing. As for 6 or 8 bolts, my truck is rated to pull 8500#'s and only uses 6 bolts of about the same size so I am sure that the 6 are more than enough. Remember it's only a 5/8" pin that is holding the draw bar to the receiver.

Maybe Valley Hitch Company had some problems with their first ones and have updated the design.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Valley must have redesigned their hitch to correct the clearance problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
By the way toyjunkie, I understand that other hitches only use six bolts. The one on my silverado is the same way but there is a lot more metal on that hitch platform than on the Acadia and come in contact with an actual frame so it is stronger anyway. The six bolts on the Acadia are probably more than enough, but I have always thought that more is better.. :thumb: Within reason that is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts