GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

How many of you out there have used a hitch cargo carrier with your Acadia? Anybody have pictures of one hooked up to the Acadia?

Looking at the pictures of the rear of the Acadia, it looks like hitch is on the same level as the exhaust pipes. Have you had any problems with the exhaust causing problems with the cargo or the carrier?

I'm thinking of doing something along these lines: http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CC2~63153.htm

I'd mostly be using it for short haul stuff like picking up a live XMas tree, picking up yard/home improvement stuff I wouldn't want on the inside, and on the rare occasion would use it for holiday trips where we might have extra passengers and need the extra interior space.

I'm really just curious to see and hear other people's experiences with these type of products.

Thanks!
K

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sorry I do not have any experiance with the cargo carrier but I do use a 4 bike carrier and a 4 snow board carrier and really like the hitch mount option. This is far better than mounting on the roof and having to lift and reach to get to your equipment.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is the one I have...

Attachments

Reactions: MarceloGMC

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jseck2,
Have you had any problems with the exhaust heating up the stuff you carry on yours? From the angle, it is hard to tell, but do yours come straight out of the hitch or does it have a bend in it to raise it up a little bit. I think it looks like it goes straight, but hard to tell. How has your's worked out? Also, do you have a light kit on yours or are those just reflectors?

lee,
Those do look very nice and very handy. I can see why people would choose to go that route. For my purposes I think I'm more looking for a platform type one similar to what jseck2 had posted. I think the platform type will fit my budget constraints better and will let me bit a bit more flexible with what I can carry. Not to mention the constrained storage space I have in my garage for when it isn't in use.

Thanks.
K

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kloogee said:
jseck2,
Have you had any problems with the exhaust heating up the stuff you carry on yours? From the angle, it is hard to tell, but do yours come straight out of the hitch or does it have a bend in it to raise it up a little bit. I think it looks like it goes straight, but hard to tell. How has your's worked out? Also, do you have a light kit on yours or are those just reflectors?
I haven't really used it on the Acadia yet. I used it for a week on my old Windstar with no problems. It is a straight tube and the basket sits on top. Mine is a plastic tub and still rated for 500 pounds. It's also probably lighter than an all steel one. If I was buying another, I would probably get a folding one so it fits behind the third seat when folded. Those are just reflectors. It was raining and dark today when I took the picture, so I had to use the flash.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not to mention the constrained storage space I have in my garage for when it isn't in use.

That is a very good point! Haven't even thought of where we would keep it. I too could use the platform type and just bungie cord rubbermaid bins to it.
Lee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thats exactly what happened to me the first time I used my carrier. I put my suitcases on there and coolers ( which worked out well) except for the fact that the exhaust melted my tarp on the corners.
I still use it however to haul small items that would get the inside dirty. For larger items, I bought a small 4x6 trailer that I tow behind the acadia. I haul everything with it and its hard to tell its there. :thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up ordering the hitch carrier I had linked to above. I also got the light kit for it for safety purposes.

The carrier itself was extremely easy to put together. Just a few simple bolts to get it all snug. However, as with anything I ever do, I had to run down to the local big box home store to grab a 19mm socket because the biggest I had on hand was a 15mm. Oh well, it isn't a project for me unless I make at least one trip over there... :help:

The light kit is going to be a bit more difficult to get to look nice. So far I've just got the wiring rednecked together since I ran out of time. When I get a bit more time, I'll run it differently to hide the wires and make it look a bit more professional. Unfortunately one of the wires is a bit too short and the other is a bit too long, so I think I'm going to have to do a bit of splicing to get it nice.

Getting it all hooked up to the Acadia was simple. Unfortunately I had forgotten to order a hitch pin when I ordered the carrier. So off I went to the local UHaul center where I picked up a Silent Hitch Pin (http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4805). If you get a hitch carrier like this, I highly recommend one of these silent hitch pins as it really locks things together tightly to make it really stable. When reading some reviews of hitch carriers some people complained about how much they rattle and move around. With the Silent Hitch Pin, it doesn't move at all and I never heard it once.

Our first and only use thus far was to go pick up our Christmas tree from a cut-it-yourself farm. It worked out great.

I think I'm going to find lots of uses for it.

BTW, I forgot to take some pics with the tree on it until I had it pretty much all untied and had the tree stand on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And here is a pic of my ******* wiring job. I'll clean it up better when i get some a bit of time.

Also, looking at those pics from the rear, it gives the illusion that the tree stuck out much further on each side than it really did. In the side mirrors, I could barely see the tips of each end of the tree. It worked out great.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
I assume you had a seven pin to 4 pin adapter for the lights? What was the grand total of the lights and the basket and shipping, etc?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I picked up a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter from UHaul as it was $2 cheaper there than where I picked up the basket and lights. This is the one that I went for: http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=720

Here is a rundown of the costs for what I purchased:

$129.95 - Hitch Carrier (http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CC2~63153.htm)
$29.95 - Lights (http://www.etrailer.com/p-20174.htm)
$12.95 - Locking Silent hitch pin (http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4805)
$12.95 - 7-pin to 4-pin adapter (http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=720)
$0 - Shipping
$185.80 - Total

There are cheaper hitch carrier systems out there. I decided to go for one of the larger sizes that I saw available so as to have the most flexibility. I also went for one with a 500 lbs rating on it and that had enough of a rail on it to be flexible in terms of being able to tie the cargo down appropriately. The carrier I went for also has a 2.5" rise in it so that that the basket sits just a little higher than the exhaust pipes. I'm hoping this might help eliminate any potential damage to the carrier and/or cargo that might result from the exhaust shooting straight at the basket.

I've seen lots of people out driving around with hitch carriers without lights, but I preferred the safety of having the option of the lights. I felt this was especially important if using it after dark or if the cargo being carried on it may block the Acadia's lights in any fashion. Depending upon what you plan on using it for, maybe lights aren't necessary and just putting some reflector tape on it would be sufficient.

I also spent a few more dollars on the silent hitch pin instead of a standard hitch pin to keep it from rattling around, make it a more solid platform, and to hopefully increase the lifespan of all the parts involved.

I'm sure that I could have spent a lot less or a lot more, but I think this set up is going to work well for my foreseeable needs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Can't find a GMC version...I still have $150 left on my gift card to the parts store...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't seen any GM/GMC branded carriers either. I've seen them market bike and ski carriers for the hitch, but not a general purpose rack like this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts