GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:
My 09 Acadia is running great, but watching my temp. gauge makes me wonder why is it showing 100 degrees. Normally it should be boiling. What are you reading?
;D

·
Super Moderator
21,982 Posts
There doesn't seem to be anything to vote on in this poll! ???

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
speleos said:
There doesn't seem to be anything to vote on in this poll! ???
And who says the coolant should be boiling?? ???

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Poll removed due to no options listed. Original post modified to ask the original question.

The Acadia, like all modern vehicles will run relatively hot in order to maximize engine efficiency and minimize emissions. Our temperature gauge reads around 210 degrees after it warms up. The drawback to this idea is that everything coolant related runs hotter, to include the transmission if the cooler is in the radiator.

Before the emissions control mania, most cars had operating temperatures in the 180 degree range, which is where many automotive types think is the happy medium between maximum efficiency and maximum durability.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
mikemu said:
And who says the coolant should be boiling?? ???
Plain old water won't boil either at 100 C/212 F if it's under pressure, such as in the cooling system of our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thanks Geo- I didn't see the forest for the trees. Also, engine coolant is not pure water. Additives raise the boiling point as well as lower the freezing point.

EDIT
I'll also throw in here that I'm running a 185 degree thermostat (OEM is 203 degrees), larger radiator, and thermostatically controlled external oil cooler on my 2009 5.7L V8 Challenger. Water temps have dropped from 205+ to 188-192, and oil temps from 210-215 to 170-180.

My last tank of gas I averaged 20.3 MPG! :)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'll also throw in here that I'm running a 185 degree thermostat (OEM is 203 degrees), larger radiator, and thermostatically controlled external oil cooler on my 2009 5.7L V8 Challenger. Water temps have dropped from 205+ to 188-192, and oil temps from 210-215 to 170-180.

My last tank of gas I averaged 20.3 MPG! :)
Those are all nice numbers.... :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts