GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the towing forum but didn't get any response.

I towed my boat (3000 lbs.) for the first time last week. I had the towing mode set on. I got up to about 60 on a flat piece of road. The shifting to get up to speed was somewhat different which I expected (quite nice actually), however at cruising speed the tach was reading almost 3000 rpm. That seemed pretty high to me given that I was on a flat road.

Anyone else seen this? Is it normal?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't think 3000 rpm at 60 while towing is unreasonable. That is the rpm where the engine is starting to put out the power you need to tow. If the redline was 4500 rpm then 3000 rpm might be a little high, but the Acadia's redline is well over 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with big bear craig, 3000 rpm isn't that bad. We towed our camper and supplies (~3500 lbs) through Wyoming and South Dakota and I thought the rpms were not excessive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess it's all relative. After getting used to seeing the Acadia cruising at 1700 rpm under normal conditions 3000 had me worried. One thing I did notice on a subsequent trip - if I took my foot off the gas for a second it did shift to a higher gear. It stayed there until I hit another hill.

tschott - did you notice any smell when you got out after towing? Kinda like hot oil or ATF?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts