GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that my Acadia is a bit loud after first starting it. Then I noticed that the RPMs is about 1500 for about 30 seconds or so after first starting it, then it quiets down and the RPMS go down to 7-800ish. Is this normal? Why does it do this, and is it OK to start driving immediately after starting up the car? Anyone know? 2009 SLT2

I tried to find a posting about this, but didn't see one, sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Thanks!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
My 07 also has a mind of it's own on initial startup; not really sure why either
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
You'll notice this on almost all modern cars. The computer is feeding the cold engine at startup and then backs off after 30 - 60 seconds or so depending on outside temp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Evidently some people have never had a car with a choke before. ::) New cars just use the computer to bring the rpm up when first started.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,964 Posts
JLF said:
Evidently some people have never had a car with a choke before. ::) New cars just use the computer to bring the rpm up when first started
I think it's called "cold start, fast idle" and is very normal. It's OK to start driving before the idle drops. If the idle doesn't drop after a few minutes, then you have a problem. Some folks are still prone to allow the idle to drop before they start driving - a throw-back to the old "warm-up" needed to allow the choke to open. Since the idle is now computer-controlled, you can't get the fast idle to step down by simply goosing the gas pedal.

:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
speleos said:
I think it's called "cold start, fast idle" and is very normal. It's OK to start driving before the idle drops. If the idle doesn't drop after a few minutes, then you have a problem. Some folks are still prone to allow the idle to drop before they start driving - a throw-back to the old "warm-up" needed to allow the choke to open. Since the idle is now computer-controlled, you can't get the fast idle to step down by simply goosing the gas pedal.

:eek:
Not sure why you included my quote in your reply. I know what the fast idle is. Maybe you should have replied to the appropriate post about the fast idle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
jsimms said:
My 07 also has a mind of it's own on initial startup; not really sure why either
Once I shift into a gear; the idle drops to a normal RPM
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,964 Posts
JLF said:
Not sure why you included my quote in your reply. I know what the fast idle is. Maybe you should have replied to the appropriate post about the fast idle.
It wasn't directed at you, JLF, but to the forum in general. Have a tall, cool cactus juice on me! :beer:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
speleos said:
It wasn't directed at you, JLF, but to the forum in general. Have a tall, cool cactus juice on me! :beer:
You know JLF we could always send Speleos one of those jumping cactus............you know the kind that when you walk near then a small piece of the cactus jumps off the main plant and attaches itself to your clothing, skin whatever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Speleos, I kinda figured it wasn't. ;)
Actually, I've already had a few of these while bench racing with a couple friends this evening. :beer: :beer: :beer:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,964 Posts
jsimms said:
... you know the kind that when you walk near then a small piece of the cactus jumps off the main plant and attaches itself to your clothing, skin whatever
jsimms, you wouldn't be talking about the 'teddy bear choilla' would you? (sorry if I missed the spelling) I got real familiar with them when I worked in AZ and NM. Every once in a while, one would reach out and grab my dog's muzzle while he chased a jack rabbit. Tough little buggers to pull from a dogs jowl!

Want to send me a cactus, send one with the cute little buttons! :jaw:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top