GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only found one other post with this. It seems that my HID lights look like the old-school yellow instead of the white I'm so familiar with. Aren't the low and high beams supposed to be HID? How can I tell if they are or not, besides color? Are the HID lights really that white or do the Acadia's HID lights look more like the classic yellow?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine are very white and reflect off signs blue sometimes. They are low and high beams. I've never had HID before so I'm not very sophisticated with them.

Fog lamps look regular, though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have HID and im pretty sure per the manual that the high beams are NOT HID only the low beams. :drunk:

·
Registered
405 Posts
yes they are. if you move the high beam lever the flap will expose the entire light there is not a seperate light for high beams it uses the same light, only at full intensity.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
yes they are. if you move the high beam lever the flap will expose the entire light there is not a seperate light for high beams it uses the same light, only at full intensity.
Exactly.

DRL are the regular halogen light. Also there is no flash to pass.

When you turn the lights on manully or at night when they come on and are equipped with HIDs, then it will be HID high and low beams. Low beans have the flap over the light and when you flash it raises the flap. You can actually here the thinking noise.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also buy bulbs for the fog/driving lights that are the same color as the xenon lights. I did it with my other car with xenon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
Exactly.

When you turn the lights on manully or at night when they come on and are equipped with HIDs, then it will be HID high and low beams. Low beans have the flap over the light and when you flash it raises the flap. You can actually here the thinking noise.
???

HID's are low beams only, the projector units on the outside are the low beam HID's.

Inner "projector" are the halogen DRL/High beams.

If the low and high's were both HID's, GM would be marketing it as Bi-Xenon Headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Both High and Low beams are HID, there is a mechanical shield that changes the focus. Single bulb, two functions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
OK since this has been discussed over and over again on this forum and others as well, why doesn't somebody take a picture of the HID headlamp assembly on low beam, and take a picture of the cutoff against a garage or something, still on lowbeam, then take a picture of the headlamp assembly on high beam, and take a picture of the cutoff on highbeam. That way, we can all have proof and finally end this argument!

I posted this on the Enclave forum a couple of days ago:

The Acadia's do use a Bi-xenon HID light source for both low/high beam. If you look closely at the headlamps of an HID Acadia and a Halogen Acadia, you will see that with the HID Acadia, the two inner projector lamps do not have a true projector lens, as they only function as DRL's, not brights, which is why some owners are complaining of no Flash to pass during the day, while the outer 2 with projector lenses are hi and low beam, using a solenoid to switch between the two functions. That same solenoid is also linked to an adjustment screw, which is what GM uses to aim the headlamps.
A halogen Acadia has 4 true projector lenses, because the inner lamps function as DRLs/Brights, so they have to be aimed properly if used, while the outer two function as low-beam only. Also, I have been lead to believe that some headlamp assemblies have lenses that are tinted blue, like the Enclave while others, like the Acadia, have non-tinted lenses, giving off a pure white light.

PS: Websites aren't always right, especially GM's

·
Registered
185 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
Exactly.

I concur. HID are definetly both high and low. When you push the stalk forward there is a "Ker-chunk" and something moves within the light. I watched on a wall and the lights did not switch from the inside to outside or vise-vera. I'll post pictures sometime if no one gets to it first. I'm posting from the hospital where my latest Acadia passenger was delivered earlier today. Thank goodness for wireless internet (I need help! :eek:hno:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
pete7919 said:
I'm posting from the hospital where my latest Acadia passenger was delivered earlier today. Thank goodness for wireless internet (I need help! :eek:hno:)
Congrats. :beer:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
htdub said:
NY_Joe said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
Exactly.

???

HID's are low beams only, the projector units on the outside are the low beam HID's.

Inner "projector" are the halogen DRL/High beams.

If the low and high's were both HID's, GM would be marketing it as Bi-Xenon Headlights.
Youmus tbe right. You can't always see what you believe first hand. :eek:hno:

Ihave had the truck almost 3 months and discovered the light issue about 2days into it.

Aimed at the garage door or at myfence, HID's on lowwill light a certain amount. Flash the beams, hearthe klunk and the beam of light will shine higher.

DRL's are the insideyellowish tinted lights which do not have a high beamfunction.

There is a noticeable difference in color when you manually switch between the two.

Websites aren't always right otherwise, according to Edmunds,we would have a backup camera.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
pete7919 said:
NY_Joe said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
Exactly.

I concur. HID are definetly both high and low. When you push the stalk forward there is a "Ker-chunk" and something moves within the light. I watched on a wall and the lights did not switch from the inside to outside or vise-vera. I'll post pictures sometime if no one gets to it first. I'm posting from the hospital where my latest Acadia passenger was delivered earlier today. Thank goodness for wireless internet (I need help! :eek:hno:)
Congrats Pete.

Now don;t let your wifecatch you o the net when you shouldbe enjoying this special event.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bottom line: HID $400 option. Worth it or not?

About to order an 09 Acadia. HID or no HID? Worth the $400 or not? "Flash to Pass" on HID -- not available? Are HIDs that much better? Is it a hassle not having "Flash to Pass"?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always get the HID when I can. I like the light much better than halogen, but I think you will find it tends to be a personal thing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
HIDs on this vehicle are WONDERFUL and leagues beyond the standard halogen. Well worth it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts