GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know how the following works for those with the HID's. If you're driving in the daytime - presumably with only the daytime running lights illuminated, and you want to momentarily flash your headlights - can you do that with the Hi/Lo lever, or must you have the HID's going already - which take just a couple of seconds to "light-up". I don't own my Acadia yet, or I'd already know the answer ;)[/color]

·
Registered
96 Posts
When you "flash" you are using high beams which are always halogen, not HID. HID's are for the normal headlight beam. Also when you do put the HIDs on they don't have a delay, the come on immediately but are a more blue tint then white for just a few seconds but you illuminate everything immediately.

THE HIDS ON THIS CAR ARE THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN, my Acura TL HIDS aren't even close. It is a revelation compared to normal halogen lighting and I can't recommend them highly enough.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Canyon - you are wrong.

The "flash" feature is only available when your HID's are on. When they are on, it will flash FULL HID not halogen.

IF you pull the lever back you will hear a thunk. This is the "eyelid" revealing the rest of the HID unit.

DRL's are halogen and they only project a standard beam. No high beam.

HID's will have lo beam and high beam. The difference being the exposure of the lense. Do a search and you will see this was discussed about a year ago.

"search" is your friend. : )

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NY_Joe,

Thx for the info. I've sat in an Acadia on the lot & turned on the HIDs, and them moved the Hi/Lo lever forward (I think) which then added the halogen to the HID's (which seemed to remain unchanged). Are you saying then, that by pulling back the lever (with only drl's illuminated) that the halogen stay off, but the HID's turn on and perform the "flash" feature?

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Smooth said:
NY_Joe,

Thx for the info. I've sat in an Acadia on the lot & turned on the HIDs, and them moved the Hi/Lo lever forward (I think) which then added the halogen to the HID's (which seemed to remain unchanged). Are you saying then, that by pulling back the lever (with only drl's illuminated) that the halogen stay off, but the HID's turn on and perform the "flash" feature?

Thx,

Smooth <><[/color]
Halogens do not get added to HID at all....ever.

Halogens are DRL's only on HID equipped car. There is not flash feature unless your HID's are turned on by you or it is dark enough out for the to "auto" turn on.

If you just have DRL's on..no flash feature.

When HID's ar eon you have the flash feature. The flash feature in HID's exposes more of the lights. An "eyelid" uncovers the rest of the light. THe high beam or flash is always gong to be HID.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you have aftermarket HID's your halogens are still what is used for the flash feature. The aftermarket ones actaully replace the low beam/drl. So, the one's you tried at the dealership may not have been factory installed.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'd be pretty surprised if an un-sold car on a dealer lot had anything other than factory installed headlights! Just my gut feel.[/color]

·
Registered
100 Posts
You would be suprised. I saw one on the lot that happened to have 200 miles on it. I asked the dealer what the deal was with it and he said the people took it home for a week and decided it was too big and brought it back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hmmm... interesting. i had read on another thread here before i purchased that the flash was halogen even on HID cars and that is the way it is on my HID acura tl. i will test the feature on my new 08 during the day today and see if i can get a daytime flash with the HIDs in the off position and only the DRL's on, seems it won't work if it is all HID?

i still stand by the other facts, that the HID on this car is well balanced and really does a great job of standard illumination and that there is no warmup when turning them on, only a slight blue tinge to the light for a few seconds until it turns fully white.

sorry if i mislead anyone... now i have something to try in a few minutes. :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Smooth said:
I'm curious to know how the following works for those with the HID's. If you're driving in the daytime - presumably with only the daytime running lights illuminated, and you want to momentarily flash your headlights - can you do that with the Hi/Lo lever, or must you have the HID's going already - which take just a couple of seconds to "light-up". I don't own my Acadia yet, or I'd already know the answer ;)[/color]
To answer your question. With HID there is no flash to pass option using the hi-low lever when your DRLs are on. You could turn your headlight knob from auto to on.

If you HID lights are on, you can use the hi-low lever.

To clear some things up here are the differences between Halogen and HID headlamp on the Acadia.
Halogen
1. Outboard Light - H11 Halogen projector - Low Beam
2. Inboard Light - H7 Halogen Projector - High beam
3. High Beam is both Inboard and Outboard Lights on together
4. DRL is the Outboard light H11 halogen projector with reduced voltage.

HID
1. Outboard Light - HID (D1S) Low and High beam projector, Highbeam is a shutter inside that opens and closes to expose more light
2. Inboard light - Incandescent DRL
3. DRL will turn off when Turn signal is on, Legal spacing requirements
4. NO Flash to pass during the day, Quick flashing of HID reduces bulb life. HID bulbs cost around $200.

The different lighting configurations seem to confuse everyone between the Halogen and HID.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NY_Joe said:
Canyon - you are wrong.

The "flash" feature is only available when your HID's are on. When they are on, it will flash FULL HID not halogen.

IF you pull the lever back you will hear a thunk. This is the "eyelid" revealing the rest of the HID unit.

DRL's are halogen and they only project a standard beam. No high beam.

HID's will have lo beam and high beam. The difference being the exposure of the lense. Do a search and you will see this was discussed about a year ago.

"search" is your friend. : )
OK, since I was the initial author of this ancient thread, here's a new twist on my original question. I have a price sheet printed by a dealer where one of the options I've selected is the HID. The description reads "Headlamps, HID Projector Low Beam, Halogen Projector High Beam". This would appear to conflict with the explanations offered. Any expert ideas on this?

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
39 Posts
OK, since I was the initial author of this ancient thread, here's a new twist on my original question. I have a price sheet printed by a dealer where one of the options I've selected is the HID. The description reads "Headlamps, HID Projector Low Beam, Halogen Projector High Beam". This would appear to conflict with the explanations offered. Any expert ideas on this?

Smooth <><[/color]
I believe this is what your looking for...

Back when the Acadia was just a bunch of lines and models in the computer the Headlamp had HID Projector Low beam and a Halogen High beam. Due to bulb life & warranty concerns over using the turn signal as a DRL the lamp was modified to have the configuration that it has today as stated in my previous post.

It appears that Marketing did not get the memo or it is just a typo that nobody has caught.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts