GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new Acadia last week and, to say the least, I love it. In fact, I was considering an Escalade or Yukon Denali but I found this more comfortable and economical.
I took one from inventory since it was optioned out almost exactly what I was going to order, including color. The $500 option of HID headlights (which I wanted) has one problem. The "flash to pass" does not operate with this option when the headlights are on "auto" turn on or off. The headlights must be turned on in order for this to work.
I took it back to the dealer today and was told that this feature doesn't work with HID's. I don't know if I'm the first to complain. I did call the GMC 800 number and created a case #. The CSR was amazed when I told him this issue. I really hope this gets resolved since I was really looking forward to having flash to pass lights that I did not have on my past vehicle.javascript:void(0);
Bang Head

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
as stated otherwise, the HID's cannot come on at full intensity instantaneously, and then go back off. it's just not in HID's nature. in the HID wiring, there is a balast, that controls the on/off/etc. it's kinda like an older fluorescent fixture. turn it on, the balast 'ignites' and then the light comes. if you tried to do this with HID's you'd either A)get the flash after you've passed the person, or B) bust up the HID's really really fast. seeing as you have DRL's on during the day, it's likely that flash to pass feature was thought of as somewhat irrelevant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, if your previous car didn't have flash-to-pass, it really shouldn't be a big deal since you could never used them in the past anyway. Honestly, nobody I have seen driving uses flash-to-pass, at least where I live anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that it's a bit of an agravation. It would seem to me that there should be a way for GMC to design a system to flash the daylight running lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
marc said:
Rollin' Thunder said:
Thanks for the info. I think this topic should stay current until a fix is forthcoming. I am VERY dissapointed about this and will hound anyone at GMC, my dealer or anyone else that will listen. Sorry, but I am angry about this.
Marc
it's unfortunate that this is an issue for you, as unless GM comes up with some kind of revised wiring harness/bcm logic to use the drls as dual fillament for flash to pass, there won't be a 'fix' for this.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Flash the fog lights. It's not hard. Press button.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, but what is flash to pass? Do you mean what the tractor trailers typically do for each other?

If we flash our lights around here in NY we get a ticket.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dan-M said:
Flash the fog lights. It's not hard. Press button.
[/quote
Thanks for the idea. I'll try it but I wonder if they're bright enough to grab attention to pass.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also just turn the lights on manually when slow people don't want to get over. That almost always works. If it doesn't THEN you give them the flash.

·
Registered
405 Posts
jonv112 said:
Well, if your previous car didn't have flash-to-pass, it really shouldn't be a big deal since you could never used them in the past anyway. Honestly, nobody I have seen driving uses flash-to-pass, at least where I live anyway.
yea the only reason i use them is to let someone know their lights are not on, but i dont do tht often now because of the stories i have heard about that, like gang members have to drive around with their lights off and when someone flashes them, becomes there target and they have to kill everyone in the car before they become a gang member for certain gangs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
yea the only reason i use them is to let someone know their lights are not on, but i dont do tht often now because of the stories i have heard about that, like gang members have to drive around with their lights off and when someone flashes them, becomes there target and they have to kill everyone in the car before they become a gang member for certain gangs.
Supposedly not true.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/madmen/lightsout.asp

·
Registered
65 Posts
You would get a ticket in upstate NY if you flash your headlights? Does that include flashing the fog lights? We have been in upstate NY for almost 4 years now, originally from Michigan. NY drivers are VERY different from Michigan drivers and it takes me about 2 weeks to get readjusted to NY drivers after visiting Michigan.

Also, I cannot find where I saw the production codes listed. Can anyone please provide those again or tell me where on this site there were listed.

How late into an order being submitted can changes be made?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '06 Audi has incandescent daytime running lights and HID/Xenon headlights , like the Acadia , but....I can ( and have had several instances needed to ) flash the Xenons instantly to warn the wayward driver to get back in their lane , etc. Not sure why GM can't do it, or even just flash the incandescent highbeam bulb, if they are worried about the low beam xenon balast's wear .

·
Registered
405 Posts
Acajun said:
My '06 Audi has incandescent daytime running lights and HID/Xenon headlights , like the Acadia , but....I can ( and have had several instances needed to ) flash the Xenons instantly to warn the wayward driver to get back in their lane , etc. Not sure why GM can't do it, or even just flash the incandescent highbeam bulb, if they are worried about the low beam xenon balast's wear .
on the acadia the lowbeam and high beam use the same light bulb so the only way you flash is when their on and can move the flap

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rollin' Thunder said:
Acajun said:
on the acadia the lowbeam and high beam use the same light bulb so the only way you flash is when their on and can move the flap
My Audi has single bulb Bi-xenon also, though and when I pull the flash stalk in the daytime , the xenon headlight beam ( which is off at that time ) flashes instantly, - no delay /lag.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TTT

Good informational post, this helped me out today. My wife and I are in the market for an Acadia (just narrowed it down, was between the Acadia, Yukon, and MDX) and in the brochure it says, "Headlamps with HID projector low beam and halogen high beam", must have been a change to bi-xenon late....that's GOOD news! :cheers:

-Travis

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sorry TGT, the Acadia has never been equipped with bi-Xenon.

On the Audi, Acajun, mine didn't have daytime running lights, so the switching would be different than on the Acadia.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts