GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed today and never noticed on any of my other cars.

If I leave headlights in Auto mode, during the day I will get DRL's. Not the HID's, but regular bulbs (the inside set). Hwever, if I were to flash my brights to motion towards another driver nothing happens. The HID's don;t flash on and the DRL's don't change or flicker.

If I move it 2 notches to the right and turn on the HID's I get the function of my HIDs and brights but have to remember to shut my lights when I leave b.c they do not shut down on their own.

I never notice don my Envoy, Passat or any other car that had DRL's if that was the case with the brights.

Anyone else notice this or culd explain this?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have noticed that the DRL turns off when that side (R or L) blinker is turnd on, and comes back on when it (blinker) shuts off.

It must be a way to let oncoming drivers see your turn intentions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NY_Joe said:
If I leave headlights in Auto mode, during the day I will get DRL's. Not the HID's, but regular bulbs (the inside set). Hwever, if I were to flash my brights to motion towards another driver nothing happens. The HID's don;t flash on and the DRL's don't change or flicker.

Anyone else notice this or culd explain this?
Wouldn't it be illegal NOT to have " flash to pass/warn " , no matter what the headlight switch position ? Are you sure it doesn't at least flash fogs or the non-HID high beam bulb ? HIDs lows need a couple seconds to get to full brightness and I know on certain brands that's what happens when you " flash " - it triggers the non-HID high beam which is at full brightness instantly .

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When in Autoand the DRL'sare on,the flash of high beams don'tfunction.

Can someone else test and confirm this?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Tested this afternoon when parked in front of a store where I could see the reflection of the lights, and you're right. No bright flash with DRL. Had to switch to manual lights on and then it worked. Also, didn't work when using turn signal in DRL mode.

Very strange, even our VW Cabrio does it with DRL on...I'm 99% sure.

·
Registered
306 Posts
NY_Joe said:
When in Autoand the DRL'sare on,the flash of high beams don'tfunction.

Can someone else test and confirm this?
I confirmed last week when the "flash to pass" didn't seem to work with HIDs (daytime only)unless I turned them on manually first. Thus no flash to pass capability unless you have your HIDs on Manual during the dayl;ight hours--flash to pass works fine at night whether on AUTO or manual.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see it's not just me.

Just a little quirk I guess

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is likely because it uses the HIDs as high beams and they take a moment or so to brighten after you turn them on as NY Joe stated above.

I have Xeons on my BMW, but the highbeams (used to "flash to pass") are halogens.

You could get killed on the German autobans with the Acadia's current HID high beams that don't allow flash-to-pass in daylight.

Something the GM engineers may want to fix in the near future.

·
Registered
87 Posts
002 said:
It is likely because it uses the HIDs as high beams and they take a moment or so to brighten after you turn them on as NY Joe stated above.

I have Xeons on my BMW, but the highbeams (used to "flash to pass") are halogens.

You could get killed on the German autobans with the Acadia's current HID high beams that don't allow flash-to-pass in daylight.

Something the GM engineers may want to fix in the near future.

I'm not an expert on this and please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for HID high beams wouldn't they have to be bi-Xeon? I had assumed that the lights would function like those on a TSX for example, and be halogen high beams. I agree this sounds odd. Out of all of our vehicals, my dads van is the only one with DRL's. Granted they are not as sophisticated as the lights of the Acadia (non HID, single bulb 9007s) but the they will flash for when going to pass. In addition they do as Racefla's example when going to turn.

- Anthony

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow- with today's drivers distracted by NAV systems , cell phones - even text messaging while driving with their 600 watt stereos blasting , having the ability to flash any light in the front in order to get the attention of the guy who's drifting into your lane head-on is as important or more so than having a horn ! This is something GM needs to address, IMO.

·
Registered
306 Posts
07Blue-Gold said:
I'm not an expert on this and please correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for HID high beams wouldn't they have to be bi-Xeon? I had assumed that the lights would function like those on a TSX for example, and be halogen high beams. I agree this sounds odd. Out of all of our vehicals, my dads van is the only one with DRL's. Granted they are not as sophisticated as the lights of the Acadia (non HID, single bulb 9007s) but the they will flash for when going to pass. In addition they do as Racefla's example when going to turn.

- Anthony
The Acadia's HIDs are different than the TSX--my BMW headlamps work similar as you've explained with the TSX.

On the Acadia with HIDs, the the low beam and high beam use the same bulb (the outer ones). The DRL use the inner bulb--it doesn't appear to be used for anything else, such as for high beams/flash to pass as with other vehicles.

As I understand it (I believe another member explained it in this forum), the HIDs on the Acadia switch from low to high beam by mechanical means--there is metal cover inside the bulb that moves up to allow the full brightness for high beam and goes back down for half brightness for low beam.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mechanical change, YES.
You often can hear the click. At night, out here in WV, I can hear the click when changing from HID to high beams when parked before starting off the property.

·
Registered
87 Posts
002 said:
07Blue-Gold said:

- Anthony
As I understand it (I believe another member explained it in this forum), the HIDs on the Acadia switch from low to high beam by mechanical means--there is metal cover inside the bulb that moves up to allow the full brightness for high beam and goes back down for half brightness for low beam.

This is what I was refering to as Bi - Xenon (meaning there is a sheild within the shroud for the use of highbeams.) I wasn't sure if that's what the Acadia had or not.

Thank you for helping me understand.

- Anthony

·
Registered
99 Posts
Norm said:
Doesn't anyone read their owners manual?????????????????????
No, it's easier to get the answers here! ;D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
and I've been told "real" men don't need them!! >:D (Just us crazy women!! :angel:)

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Norm said:
So what does it say in the manual?

·
Registered
35 Posts
FWIW, one of my cars has single bulb bi-xenon HID headlights and DRLs. At any headlight switch postion : off, auto on,parking lights only, manual headlights on .. pulling back on the turn signal stalk flashes the HID headlight bulbs near instantaneously.

·
Registered
306 Posts
NY_Joe said:
Norm said:
So what does it say in the manual?
Manual says (my feminine side must be showing):
Flash-to-Pass
With the turn signal lever in the low-beam position, pull the lever toward you momentarily to switch to high-beam (to signal that you are going to pass). If the headlamps are on, they will return to low-beam when the lever is released. This feature operates even when the headlamps are off.[/color]

However, I have found this is not true for HIDs.[/color]

There really is not any useful info on the HIDs in the owners manual. Even to change them it says to take them to the dealer--High Intensity Discharge (HID) Lighting
The high beam and low beam high intensity discharge lighting system operates at a very high voltage. If you try to service any of the system components, you could be seriously injured. Have your dealer/retailer or a qualified technician service them. Your vehicle may have HID headlamps. After your vehicle’s HID headlamp bulb has been replaced, you may notice that the beam is a slightly different shade than it was originally. This is normal.[/color]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts