GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Picked up the Acadia this morning from the shop. The owner still believes that I need my cushions replaced (part of the wave plate, clutch pack, I believe). But, he had not yet removed the tranny, and would not take any money for shop time.

I ordered the laminated disks for the TEHCM, as well as the seals that RBarrios mentioned above. I will replace them and see if it solves the problem.

If no improvement, then rebuild it is.

Tom

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Please let us know. . . interesting journey in this for others as well down the road.

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
yes do let us know.
and read and reread the techm thread for hints to help make it less tedious

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ill throw this out there... though you say its only from R to D.
I also dont see your model year.
Theres a nice long thread that many of us have used to make this repair.

I began to notice my Traverse was taking longer to shift into D. 2-3 seconds... before I could feel it engage. I did not get any CELs. THis was with 144,000 on the vehicle
But from others posts...I knew what had to be done.

dealer may charge up to $1500 to do this repair.
I did it myself for $107.

Sonnax kit, $33.99- ebay
24240184 Valve cover wiring gasket- $8.17
24229593 Valve cover gasket- $4.54................... total $16.06 w/shipping. rockauto.
6 qts of DexVI. - $56.70
$106.75 total for parts required.

5 hrs for trans job- in my driveway.

TECHM solenoid pressure switch discs wear and tear where they flex.
THis is an issue on the 07s- 2011 maybe 2012. (GM got rid of these on the 2012 or 2013).
The TECHM requires removal. Its under the black cover on the front of trans.
Used to be that you had to have the entire TECHM replaced and reprogrammed.
Now you can buy the kit.

THere are times- when the SOLENOIDS are the actual cause... requiring replacement of the TECHM.
But many times its these little discs.
I replaced them - shifting returned to normal.
repair @144,000, Im now at 153,000- trans shifts fine.

Just bought the kit, trying to do it this weekend

·
Registered
94 Posts
I posted in another thread, as well. The replacement of the laminated discs virtually eliminated the hesitation going into drive. It took about 150 to 200 miles after replacement for the transmission to adapt to the new disks, but it is fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine is a 2007 with 180k miles. I was concerned about the delay in apply when shifting to drive. Having some knowledge about how an automatic works, I know the problem with the disc in the valve body could cause a delay when they are loosing their elasticity. With that in mind I added about 2 cups of Lucas transmission conditioner. After a few trips I noticed the time was reducing on the delayed apply and the abruptness had also subsided. This surely is not a cure-all in respect to replacing the disc. However with the age of the vehicle and the mileage this prolongs the inevitable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Long time reader, first time poster.... Y'all are great! This is a great forum with a ton of information. Sincerely appreciated!!!

2012 SLT - 160k miles and climbing. Required maintenance always kept up to date.

A bit of history: Purchased used, spring 2016 w/ 32k miles. All in all, a nice ride, well cared for, I still enjoy it. FFWD to fall 2018, 80k miles - Threw a rod bearing, engine expired. Thankfully, we purchased the extended drivetrain warranty.... Free new engine for this guy. Yeah, no, it was a re-furb....

I get it back from the dealership, it seems to be running like a champ and doing everything it's expected to do. A few days later, I feel it the trans shudder, as described by others. At first, I blew it off. Figured... New fluids, little bits of air working out of the systems...etc. Nope. It continues. Even to this day. Sounds like that may ultimately be the torque converter? Fun times.... Ugh....

It appears the TEHCM will require some attention as well. I've just recently been experiencing the same R to D shift hesitation. It has continued to worsen as time goes on and is now definitely a delay.

Oh, and I can't forget that the HVAC blender only likes to send air flow to the dash and floor, no matter what position, or temperature, is selected. I'm in the Mitten.... It's all fun and games until the moisture on the inside of the windshield frosts' up!

So, all that said, any suggestions where to find the best deals on replacement parts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
8,455 Posts
As for parts. Get the part # of the item you need.
Google the part- youll get back prices.
But RockAuto.com, ebay, amazon, are places to find stuff.
Though in some places- if the price is too good to be true- it may be a fake
But Ive used all of the ones mentioned above.

·
Super Moderator
20,516 Posts
So, all that said, any suggestions where to find the best deals on replacement parts would be greatly appreciated.
As for parts. Get the part # of the item you need.
Get part numbers from a GM parts site. For TEHCM laminate disks, use Sonnax site (GM doesn't sell those separately).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts