GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone!!

Just bought a 2012 Acadia SLT. Absolutely love it!

I've been looking around forums for the issue i have.

This doesn't happen every time but when shifting from reverse to drive. I will notice it will not move or anything for a few seconds. I play with a gas pedal to get it to start moving forward.

Has anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Is this only happening at first start in the day? If so, let the car warm up a bit before you drop it in gear and go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

No it doesn't matter. I could be driving it all day and will do it or sometimes cold. Very random. I have noticed not accelerating puts it into gear. I had fluid serviced (fluid/filter change not flushed) they saw no shavings or any issues. Im confused on what what cause this.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Random things are the worst! It seems more electronic than mechanical. First, check to see all electrical connections to the trans and at the ECM/PCM are clean and tight. Go from there and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea tell me about it!!! EErrr
I will try that this weekend and see if i notice anything different.

What i did notice driving around more. If i decelerate (without brakes), then accelerate i don't feel anything till i hear a click (metal to metal) from under the front end. So id hear rpms going up but no movement, til the mentioned above.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I had fluid serviced (fluid/filter change not flushed) they saw no shavings or any issues.
who serviced it?
1)it was a fluid service-
2)It was not a filter change. To change the filter on this transmission- requires that the transmission be taken out- and split open- then another part taken out- before you can get to the filter. I believe most places drop the engine/trans/front suspension as a whole to get to the transmission.
3)Check the fluid level. May be low on fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who serviced it?
1)it was a fluid service-
2)It was not a filter change. To change the filter on this transmission- requires that the transmission be taken out- and split open- then another part taken out- before you can get to the filter. I believe most places drop the engine/trans/front suspension as a whole to get to the transmission.
3)Check the fluid level. May be low on fluid.

it was done at a highly recommend loacal transmission.
1) from seeing your post im thinking it was just a fluid change.
2) I doubt it was a filter change because of how quick it was done.
3) fluid levels look fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever determine the cause of this delay? My 2012 Acadia does the exact same thing, occasionally takes 4-5 seconds to shift from reverse to drive.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Just wondering if these people come to a COMPLETE stop when shifting from R to D all the time and vise versa?

Or do they do it while the car is still rolling and then shifting? Who knows if this causes pre-mature tranny issues?

·
Registered
55 Posts
This happens to me when I shift from Reverse to Drive too quickly while the car is still in motion.

To get the car to engage I let off the gas pedal while it’s pausing then give it some gas and normally it engages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Eddie, Did you ever get this shifting issue resolved? I too have a similar problem. Slow to engage D when shifting from R. I tested other scenarios such as: Shifting from Park to D, no hesitation. P to R, no hesitation. Warmed up vs, cold. no difference. The issue is only from R to D. It was brought to my attention as my sweetie was driving and backed out of the driveway, shifted to D and hit the gas pedal. The RPM rose and then the tranny finally decided to go into Drive with an uncomfortable thud as the the driveline was smacked with the torque of the higher RPM. My work-around was to instruct sweetie to shift into Drive and stay off the gas pedal until the transmission engages Drive in ~ 1.5 seconds. That way, we avoid the clunk with higher RPM. She wants it fixed and says this could be a safety issue. I changed the tranny fluid by draining it, refilling then drive for a week and repeat. It did nothing to improve the shifting.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Ill throw this out there... though you say its only from R to D.
I also dont see your model year.
Theres a nice long thread that many of us have used to make this repair.

I began to notice my Traverse was taking longer to shift into D. 2-3 seconds... before I could feel it engage. I did not get any CELs. THis was with 144,000 on the vehicle
But from others posts...I knew what had to be done.

dealer may charge up to $1500 to do this repair.
I did it myself for $107.

Sonnax kit, $33.99- ebay
24240184 Valve cover wiring gasket- $8.17
24229593 Valve cover gasket- $4.54................... total $16.06 w/shipping. rockauto.
6 qts of DexVI. - $56.70
$106.75 total for parts required.

5 hrs for trans job- in my driveway.

TECHM solenoid pressure switch discs wear and tear where they flex.
THis is an issue on the 07s- 2011 maybe 2012. (GM got rid of these on the 2012 or 2013).
The TECHM requires removal. Its under the black cover on the front of trans.
Used to be that you had to have the entire TECHM replaced and reprogrammed.
Now you can buy the kit.

THere are times- when the SOLENOIDS are the actual cause... requiring replacement of the TECHM.
But many times its these little discs.
I replaced them - shifting returned to normal.
repair @144,000, Im now at 153,000- trans shifts fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you rbarrios. Mine is a 2012 Acadia. I will do some checking to ensure this kits applies to a 2012 and order it. I knew someone would have the answer. Much appreciated.
Ranson in Raleigh, NC

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
Thank you rbarrios. Mine is a 2012 Acadia. I will do some checking to ensure this kits applies to a 2012 and order it. I knew someone would have the answer. Much appreciated.
Ranson in Raleigh, NC

Here is the thread on HOW TO do the job.
7 pages of input/questions from members and their symptoms.
I do see a reference to 2013- being the year they got rid of the laminate discs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening everyone!!

Just bought a 2012 Acadia SLT. Absolutely love it!

I've been looking around forums for the issue i have.

This doesn't happen every time but when shifting from reverse to drive. I will notice it will not move or anything for a few seconds. I play with a gas pedal to get it to start moving forward.

Has anyone else experience this? Thanks in advance!!!
I know this is an older post but I just found this site. To answer your question, Yes, I have experienced this. The TEHCM or transmission control module is going out. Dorman makes an upgraded version to replace the manufacturers crappy one. 609-008 is the version that should fit your can. This can be a do it yourself repair but it is a bear. First thing is that the replacement unit will come with a scanner tool that you must download the transmission modules information too by plugging it into the OBD II port. The front plastic cover needs to come off the transmission, which means the fluid has to be drained first. Once the cover is removed the connectors need to be unplugged and then the bolts holding the TEHCM need to be removed. Keep them in order as they are of different lengths. I used a car wash sponge and stuck them through as I took them out. You are working blind so you have to look at the replacement unit to figure where the next bolt is. Once you get the old one out replace it with the new one in reverse order. Then reinstall the software and trans fluid. Summit Racing has the best prices around. This page won't let me put in a url though. You will need the VIN number to order.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
speleos
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing