GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 Acadia (built 12/07)...When I first got it, I noticed what people were talking about with the hesitation of shifting, but wasn't to bad, just had to learn how to drive it in those situations (hills). I now have 2,000 miles on it and the shifting is getting WORSE! :help: Any one else having this issue after breaking it in a bit on 08's?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have 5000 on mine now and I think I noticed it get worse. The sad thing is that if I had never read anything about it, I would never had said that there was a problem. I would have just assumed that it was normal for a 5000 lb AWD vehicle that can get 21 mpg on the highway. I bet what you are experiencing is totally normal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I alos have an 08' Acadia with the same shifting problems at 1000 miles. It is going to the dealer today for a reprogramming of the TCM. Will adivse on the outcome...

Bobby

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have about 1000 miles on and am experiencing similar hesitation (built 12/07). I notice when i hit the gas, maybe 1/2 way or a bit more to the floor, nothing happens for 1-2 seconds, engine revs generally remain constant, no shifting in the trans, then bam, a down shift 2 or so gears & hi engine revs. I am beginning to think it might not be a trans issue, but might be an engine throttling thing....

This has happened to me in the middle of an intersection and when merging onto the highway - very unnerving and dangerous!

·
Registered
812 Posts
mine is running around 940miles and i usually break-in my car till 1500miles -- just to be in the safe side. Experience the same thing as you guys but can only drive the car during the weekend as my wife is the daily driver. Im planning to do all the TSB/Recalls past the 3000miles to give the car some more time to settle down. I thought that later 08 models have all the latest reflash? Guess the only way to find out is a trip to the Service department.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured the late builds of the 08's had the latest flash too. Maybe they haven't really fixed the issue. As iscifi stated, this is very dangerous. How do you find out whether it needs the flash or not (without contacting the dealer)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same thing on my 08 Acadia SLE with just over 1000 miles. I was hoping the transmission would "learn" my driving behaviours (as I have seen mentioned in other threads) and the problem would go away. Overall I am very pleased with the driving experience - quiet, smooth. But the hesitation in shifting causes me to be a little heavier on the gas pedal. Makes me wonder if I could do better than the 15-17 MPG I get around town.

Could someone describe the transmission learning thing a little better? Or is it just a myth?

·
Registered
84 Posts
There is a TSB for this issue for the tranny. A software upgrade is available. I had it done and it did make a difference.

I believe this is it

07058A MAR 07 Campaign - TCM Update For A/T Shift Improvements

I didn't want to open my filing cabinet to check the sheet I was given ;]

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
apples said:
I figured the late builds of the 08's had the latest flash too. Maybe they haven't really fixed the issue. As iscifi stated, this is very dangerous. How do you find out whether it needs the flash or not (without contacting the dealer)?
The vehicles with VIN#'s (last 8 digits) as follows need the transmission update:

Year Division Model From Through

2007 GMC Acadia 7J100457 - 7J175164

2007 Saturn Outlook 7J100074 - 7J173924

2008 Buick Enclave 8J100166 - 8J125504

2008 GMC Acadia 8J102011 - 8J126351

2008 Saturn Aura 8F100652 - 8F110929

2008 Saturn Outlook 8J100641 - 8J126062

For example, the last 8 of my VIN# is 8J140906, so mine already has the lastest programming from the factory and doesn't need the update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My VIN# is not within the specified range, so my Acadia supposedly has the latest software updates. However I am still experiencing the hesitation. Sounds like several others are as well.

Love the vehicle. This and a slight whine from the steering column are the only issues i've noticed so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My VIN is not within the specified range either....

I hope the GM engineers viewing these boards considers this as a real safety issue - I'd like to see GM investigate and provide a fix.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine is not within the range either :( so obviously GM still has some issues to work out

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe we are talking about 2 different issues. Shifting vs. hesitation. I think the shifting is fine. However, I also experience the hesitation that others have mentioned. My vehicle does not fit within the VIN #s listed above. What it does, is force me to drive a little slower and less aggressive. What I assume, is that it does conserve gas and improve my mileage. I don't like it much, but it has its upsides as well. If you are finding it a safety issue, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your driving tendencies (I know I have). I think the roadways are full of drivers with the attitude of "me first". Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To some degree, I agree what your saying. BUT, I do NOT have a lead foot. I drive very cautiously without gunning it and stay within the speed limits. When I slow down to go around a corner (or go up a hill) and push the pedal to speed back up, there is a total hesitation where it doesn't shift down to take off correctly. Which in turn, you have to punch the gas pedal to actually get going. This has nothing to do with "me first". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Acadia. If you see my post that started this discussion, I was saying how the issue is getting worse and my driving habits are the same for the 2,000 miles I now have.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Apples,

Maybe I'm just confusing 2 different issues. The more time I spend on the road, the more I run into inconsiderate drivers. I'm glad you are not in that category. It is pretty flat where I live - not very many hills. It sounds like you may have a different situation, and I'm sure that would contribute further to the problem. I usually think, that where there is smoke there is fire. :angryfire: So, there must be an issue here, with so many people talking about it. I do understand the hesitation you are referring to, and have experienced it myself. (curiously, sometimes more than others). I would have to think that this condition will improve with future model years.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hunt said:
I believe we are talking about 2 different issues. Shifting vs. hesitation. I think the shifting is fine. However, I also experience the hesitation that others have mentioned. My vehicle does not fit within the VIN #s listed above. What it does, is force me to drive a little slower and less aggressive. What I assume, is that it does conserve gas and improve my mileage. I don't like it much, but it has its upsides as well. If you are finding it a safety issue, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your driving tendencies (I know I have). I think the roadways are full of drivers with the attitude of "me first". Just my 2 cents.
its gonna be safety issue, when there is no power when you need it... :eek:hno: no matter how surefooted you are, when the occassion comes to put the pedal to the metal, a 1sec delay might cost you your life, worst your family might be included. The shifting was never fine to begin with hence the recalls ???, unless your use to ride with someone driving the stick for the first time, then this vehicle is for you. im still have patience as mine is still new to do the trans flash. but i just hope that mine turns out fine. That goes to all you drivers -- defensive or not, remember theres you and 100,000 maniacs using the road everyday. No matter how safe you drive there will always be idiots running lose and sharing the road with you.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
apples said:
To some degree, I agree what your saying. BUT, I do NOT have a lead foot. I drive very cautiously without gunning it and stay within the speed limits. When I slow down to go around a corner (or go up a hill) and push the pedal to speed back up, there is a total hesitation where it doesn't shift down to take off correctly. Which in turn, you have to punch the gas pedal to actually get going. This has nothing to do with "me first". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Acadia. If you see my post that started this discussion, I was saying how the issue is getting worse and my driving habits are the same for the 2,000 miles I now have.
This is exactly what Shifty (my Acadia) did before I got the second flash back in October. That was the only thing that flash actually fixed. Everything else, it made entirely worse. I'd gladly trade my vibration at 45mph for that hesitation accelerating after a turn/corner again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2008 (12/07 build) and although I don't notice any shifting problems, I definitely notice the hesitation to accelerate if I'm in the 40-50mph range. But I had the same problem with my 2001 Silverado (with a big 'ol V8), so I'm resigned to living with it. But that's about my only complaint with the Acadia... not bad!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
My Flash back in October resolved my issues. Transmission shifting excellently, 1/2 peddle down response perfectly, slight lag around 40 if going easy on the peddle. Mine responds when required and shifts at appropriate times when required! I drive it weekends. Our transmission is perfect!! :blob:
Charlene might want to take it to Lemay on south end of Kenosha some Sat Morning, another dealer? Have you arranged for local GMC rep to take a ride with you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts