GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenerio,,,, I'm traveling 50 mph with a tach reading of about 2200,,,, I try to pass someone either on the interstate, or on a highway merge lane,,, my tach shoots to the 7000 range, and it feels like the transmission is in neutral. Is this normal for the Acadia? I hope not, because I love the vehicle. Please help.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The engine shift point should be at 6,600 rpms. If it is going to 7,000 either the PCM is off on the shift points or your tachometer is off on it's calibration. When you go to pass the transmission down shifts to a lower gear to get more power from the engine so you can accelerate. If it does it every time then I would take it in to have it checked out. I know ours does not go all the way up to 7k. If you go from a standing still start and push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor like you would be trying to jump out into traffic until you get to the speed limit, does it go all the way up to 7k then?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

We've had some discussion about the transmission and engine in recent weeks. Use the box in the upper right and search for torque. You'll find most of it there.

The 2009 engine (thank you for filling in your info) makes peak power at 6300 RPM. It is a 3.6L V6 pulling a 4700 pound + load vehicle. If you look at the Acadia vs. the under $50K world thread you can see how it stacks up against other similar models for weight, displacement (engine size), HP/torque, number of seats, transmission speeds, etc.

By virtue of several factors, as Rat mentioned above, the engine has to get into it's powerband for maximum acceleration. This means those 6 hamsters under the hood will be spinning the wheels pretty fast. :)

This situation is a tradeoff many car makers are facing (especially with new regs on the way) in which they put smaller motors in vehicles for better gas mileage or larger motors for better acceleration. Based on the data in the thread I linked, for 2009 it seems like the happy medium for V6 gas motor displacement is around 3.5L.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,733 Posts
joe2046 said:
... I'm traveling 50 mph with a tach reading of about 2200 ... Please help.
My god, man, what gear are you in when you initiate the pass? My Acadia tachs about 1250-1300 rpm in 6th at about 50 mph. If I really put my foot in it while passing, etc., the trans drops more than 2 gears (usually 3) and really winds up to over 6000. A normal pass nets about a 2000-2500 rpm increase and then drops back after the torque converter clutch reengages.

You might need some "Mr. Goodwrench" help! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
jh46 said:
Joe, take a look at the TSB in this thread http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=5765.0 and see if it applies to you. It is for 2009's built 10/08 and earlier. It is in the third post by Geohawk.
That is good information and it looks like we're seeing some positive results. I'm going to sticky the info so it is easier to find so we can reference it for these questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for the information. I will check out the threads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts