GMC Acadia Forum banner

HELP - theft attempted - can’t perform relearn

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lydiamae 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
O-K. so here goes.
My friend purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia from the auction. Looks like it has plenty of potential, but it was missing some rather important parts. I assume someone had previously attempted to steal the vehicle because the ignition cylinder, ignition cylinder casing (housing) and transponder module were missing. I did a little research and got a PasskeyIII+ cylinder, casing, and transponder WITH the key off a different vehicle from a local junkyard.

Thing is the wiring/wiring colors differed slightly from that of the Acadia. I have a TOOOOOOOON of research and can’t quite figure it out. The acadia had 5 wires going to ignition switch, and 4 wires going to transponder. The junkyard parts vehicle (2005 Cadillac CTS) had 6 wires going to ignition switch, and 4 going to transponder.

Like I said I have done soooooo much research, looked at FAAAAR too many diagrams, and im jus 100% about the way I have the IGNITION SWITCH wired up. When i turn the "new" ignition key, everything comes on just like it should, but it still says "theft attempted" on the DIC, just like it did when he first brought it to me. It wont crank (duh), and I CANNOT for the life of me get the security light go off, regardless of how long i let it sit in the "run" position. Meaning i can’t perform the relearn because I can’t get the security light to go out.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Mike

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Interchanging parts from one vehicle platform to another doesn't seem like a very good idea. Might be best to find the replacement ignition parts from another Lambda platform vehicle (Acadia, Outlook, Enclave, etc.) and put them in your friend's vehicle.

#4 ·
I could be wrong about this so more research may be necessary as I'm speaking from experience with a different vehicle brand and system altogether. Whe the vehicle senses a theft attempt, the computer performs a lockdown that requires a factory reset. There are exceedingly few auto programmers out there capable of accessing the system core at that level. All your work might be correct. You just lack proper clearance so to speak.

#5 ·
Mike, Have you resolved your issue? Would appreciate some advice on same matter. I just bought a salvage 2009 Acadia that says ignition problems. The locksmith onsite says it was stolen and the "transponder ring" was damaged so its not a simple replace the ignition cylinder/key fix. I dont have the car yet because its on lien at the auction lot for another week but I want to buy the parts I need so I can hopefully drive it off the lot and not have to get a tow. I also am having trouble finding even the part name for what could be broken. Sounds like you had a similar issue. Can you give some more details if you've been able to repair please!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.