GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through a construction zone yesterday and some cement water was splashed all over the Acadia. I took it home and immediately washed it with a soft towel and water. Now the windshield has water type spots all over it. I used soap, tried the heated washer fluid and still nothing. It makes the glass look like it a been shattered when the light hits it right. The chrome by the GMC logo has done this too.

Anyone know how to fix this? My husband says it will be OK in a while, but I want to fix it this weekend. It is only 1 week old! I've read the other links, but there doesn't seem to be a "fix" just help it stay nice.

Next question, would the paint protector help in this situation? I still have white cement water in the crevices of the grill and the GMC logo.

Thanks,
Kym

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
mckcab said:
Next question, would the paint protector help in this situation? I still have white cement water in the crevices of the grill and the GMC logo.
ACK! I'd be freaking out too if I were you. I believe the paint protector package is supposed to cover this, but actually, your issue seems to be with the glass and the chrome parts. So I'm not so sure. You'd have to read the warranty that came with it. Unfortunately, my paperwork is at home, so I can't check it for you.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the paint protector, yet. I was going to take it in and have them do it. Kinda waiting to see how people liked theirs. Now I am worried it is too late or if it would have worked.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
The only experience I've had with mine so far was my trip down to Arkansas. When we got down there (after 800 miles one way) the front end was covered in gross bugs. A rag and a bucket of cold water took it all off in just minutes. I was told by the salesguy that the protector package would make bug removal easier, but I didn't think it would be THIS easy. I was impressed. :)

Thankfully no one has spilled anything yet inside the Acadia and no dog accidents, so I haven't really been able to put the interior protector package to the test yet.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just heard a bit on this exact same problem on Car Talk on NPR (Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers).

Unbelieveable!

They recommended a dilute solution of muriatic acid in water. The guy tried it and said it worked like a charm.

Muriatic acid is what all masons use to clean up mortar when they build a fireplace, etc.

I would certainly try it on a small area first, to make sure it doesn't damage the finish. Again, the guy on the radio said it worked perfectly with NO paint damage.

Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My last new car had a whopping 600 miles on it and someplace that I had been some BOZO must have been spray painting and my entire drivers side, back AND windows were all spotted. I went to my friends body shop and asked for there advice because YES! I was freaking out about it. He gave me a can of something I can't remember what it was but That's what I would do if I were you, Go get the advice of a professional. I had to use a razor blade to get the paint off of the windows, it took me hours to clean off the paint.
Good luck to you. Lee

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, both are great ideas!! I just can't believe the cement truck!! I was MAD :angryfire: and I couldn't think of anything to do!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had this happen to several cars in the past. Try using a soft cloth with plain distilled household (white) vinegar. If you daub it and have lots of patience, it will disolve the cement spots. DO NOT RUB the grit in the cement will mar the paint if you do.

Good luck,
Javert

·
Registered
48 Posts
javert said:
I've had this happen to several cars in the past. Try using a soft cloth with plain distilled household (white) vinegar. If you daub it and have lots of patience, it will disolve the cement spots. DO NOT RUB the grit in the cement will mar the paint if you do.

Good luck,
Javert

^^^^^Exactly^^^^ and like Javert said, be paient and let it dwell for some time. If that doesn't work Top of the Line detailing supplier sells a cement remover. I personally have never used it but have heard nothing but good things about it from people that have though:

http://www.topoftheline.com/cement-concrete-remover-auto.html

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ditto on the white vinegar. I used ot work next to a Lime plant and on certain days I would come out of work and my black Yukon would litterally be white. I cant tell you how many people sued that plant and got Levy's to repaint their cars. On the light days white vinegar worked the best. Thank heavan I was transfered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts