GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined the forum today and I want to thank you for all the wonderful information here. I don't currently own a Acadia but my plan was to buy one by the end of the year. As a result, I've been doing a lot of research and frankly, I'm starting to worry about buying this car because of all the problems I'm reading about. I was interested in purchasing the SLT-1 with a power lift gate and center console in second set of seats. No sunroof. Never liked them anyway. What can you tell me? Should I bother or should I look to some other model? I have a seven year old X-Terra and have never had a problem (still don't). I'd hate to trade up and have a car I can't depend on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just like consumer reports ect... you'll hear more people complaining about things than praising them. Several people found the forums while trying to research their problems.. and that's alot of what you're reading. If you go to any car forum.. you'll find the same thing.. people talking about their issues about this car or that car. I'm not saying that people haven't had a few issues w/ a brand new vehicle.. but for the most part.. people love the Lambdas. GM has sold thousands of them.. and you read a few bad posts on here. But that's one of the reason alot of people don't buy 1st year cars... because there are always issues that have to be worked out.

We purchased ours a few weeks ago now.. and absolutely love it. Kind of having a little buyer's remorse for not waiting for the '09 w/ the direct inject engine... but we really needed a new vehicle now.. as our '97 Caravan was nearing 180k mi and was costing me more in repairs every day. But they always come out with something "better" all the time right? We looked at everything out there and kept coming back to the Acadia.. best gas milage for anything this size and the most 3rd row room. By everything.. I mean we looked at the new & used Highlander, 4Runner, Sienna, Tahoe/Yukon, Durango, Odyssey, CX9, CX7, Outlook, Enclave.. and still ended up w/ the Acadia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think one of the very few downsides of the internet is that it can provide MISconceptions about certain situations. The drive to post something to a bulletin board is much greater when there is a problem then when something is going great. Ironically, right now, I'm waiting for a response to a problem I've posted to a user forum for a software application I use. I've had the application for over a year and it has to be one of the best software applications I've ever used in my life - EVER! But I've now encountered for the first time an issue I've never had. In all the time I've used it I've never posted, let alone join, the user forum. Sitting in a doctor's waiting room doesn't give one a good picture of how healthy the population is.

While I'm not commenting on the STATISTICS of of the quality and issues of the Acadia, I can tell you that mine ('08, took delivery 11/07, 8500 miles currently) has been "flawless". The unit hasn't graced the dealer's lot since I took delivery. I have a VERY VERY slightly noticeable squeak in the suspension when I go over a deep road dip faster than I probably should. When it happens I say to myself "Oh, yeah, I might want to get that looked at. And then I promptly forget about it." It's almost imperceptible. This is the best I can come up with if someone held a gun to my head and said "Tell me about a problem with your car."

This is the first car I've owned ever where total strangers have come up to me and commented on it. "How do you like it?" "It's just gorgeous!" I think it even got me out of a speeding ticket. The trooper said "How do you like it? What is the mileage? My wife has been bugging me to get one."

I enthusiastically recommend it - recognizing that NO product is perfect and there may be issues that need to get resolved. All cars do to a certain extent.

Jim

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree with kbacon and gmloyalist!

If you are using this forum to determine how many problems you are going to have, then you are in the wrong place. What I mean is that it does not matter what car you are going to buy, if you go to the forum for that car, you will see problems.

The Acadia had normal glitches up front that were fixed. You will be getting a 2009 which is the 3rd year model and most of the new build issues will be gone. Will the Acadia be error free like your X-Terra? I think the answer is likely. The Acadia has an above average reliability (according to CR - consumer reports) while your X-Terra got a CR much better than average. This can be deceiving as the average has improved so much over the years that really all cars manufactured today are pretty darn good. Even some of the cars that people would say are the best of the best, like the Toyota Tundra (CR gives a much worse than average on reliability) and the Toyota Camry V6 (CR gives a worse than average on reliability) have had their problems.

Bottom line is, it does not matter what car you buy, you might have problems.

Also realize that the Acadia is huge compared to the X-terra you have. It is a bit bigger than the Expedition inside and for its size, gets good gas mileage. However, if you don't need/want a car this big, with gas prices the way they are, you might be better off looking at some of the smaller SUVs like the CRV, RAV4, or Vue. They really do get good gas mileage. (but can have problems too. :) )

Happy shopping and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with the positive posts. My wife and I love almost everything about the car and the only reason I say almost is that there is currently no option to custom build a car (from scratch) with any/all options or colors available to you (is there?). IMO you actually find working folks in this forum who care about the way they spend their dollar and want the best car for that dollar.

What everyone's saying about individual issues being the driver for people vocalizing concern is true.

I even asked the wife if it's cheesy to have two of the same car in the family since I drive an older F-150 and I like her Acadia so much I just may get another. We'll see how that turns out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much for the prompt responses. The reason I'm looking at the Acadia (aside from the exceptional good looks) is the extra room inside. I live in Louisiana and have four Golden Retrievers and two cats in my house. In my store (pet supplies), I have any number of cats for adoption. When we had to evacuate for Katrina finding room was a little tough.

In any event, you have all put my mind at rest and I thank you.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have an early model Acadia with 18,000 miles and I have had no (no sunroof) water leaks, oil leaks, or any other problems. If you need a vehicle this size it's well worth looking at, but bear in mind it is a big heavy car and is not going to get 25 mpg on average. You can expect about 15 to 18 in mixed driving and in the low to mid 20's on the interstate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im sure most of the 'bugs' were worked out by 08, or attempted to at least.

·
Registered
812 Posts
all i can say is that at the moment its the best buy for a CUV right now if your looking for the versatility, space and looks.

Like you, i have my reservations coming in from foreign brand, as this is my first American made vehicle. It has its shortcomings as well as glitches but all makes and models have that too... nothings perfect. As long as its provides our family all the necessary things that we need for a CUV and GM doing their part for after sales support, im happy with it!!! :thumb:

The upcoming 2009 (which is the 3rd year model) = most of the new build issues will be gone and some kinks worked out.... :thumb:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Have a look at this independent tracking system of the reliability of many different vehicles. As you'll see, the '08 Acadia is better than average for its reliability thus far. I think based on that you'll see that it is doing fairly well overall. Of course there are vehicles out there that appear to have better results, but there are more that have worse results. With any new vehicle you are playing an odds game as they will all have their share of problems.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3769.msg47744;topicseen#new

Best of luck in your decisions.

·
Registered
542 Posts
2007 SLT-2 17,500 miles. No problems. Did not get the transmission recalibrated. 1 year of trouble free 20 MPG driving for me!

·
Registered
250 Posts
this is the first time i owned a brand new vehicle, to top it off, its a CUV, a fairly new segment. i started to look at the SUV market early last year, and the line-up did not compel me to buy. but when i saw the acadia, it pushed me closer to making a decision. the last 2 vehicles i narrowed my choices are acura mdx and gmc acadia. the acura and the acadia are both handsome vehicles. the acura offers more prestige, more hp but the acadia offers more room and is a bit cheaper in price. i've researched every bit of acadia and the problems that some of the owners have encountered are similar problems that the mdx and the other brands have encountered. the base level for mdx is ~60k (cad $), while the acadia with comparable features is ~48k. what swayed me to acadia is the report from car experts claiming that the GMC vehicles manufactured today are light years ahead in reliability compared to what GMC have manufactured 5 yrs ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Acadia. Not my first GMC product ... will probably not be my last. Had Toyotas before. IMO can't go wrong with an Acadia as I find it comproable to a Toyota.

I too have been getting comments and praise and questions about the Vehicle. I remember a seeing two ladies peering into the passenger window of my Acadia and getting questions afterwards. She said that she is going to get one soon. I then watched them get into a high end Audi A6 or A8.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
152 Posts
2008 Acadia SLT1 AWD, Redjewel, skyroof, DVD, convenience package, trailering package.
Owned a month and a half and absolutely satisfied to date with this CUV. No noises of any
kind, no tranny issues or dead spots, brakes are flawless, handles great, all features and
options are working great.

I bought for the utility which was at the top of my list and the great features. The mpg is
also good for a CUV in this class. I must admit also, that I was hooked by the Acadia's
looks from the beginning. I'm glad the looks married the utility and build quality for me.

Good luck in your decision :thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to check out other vehicles. Personal taste is personal taste...you just may like a specific type of option that is provided in a specific brand/model.

If Acadia happens to have what you want, I don't think you're going to be cursed with that choice...although reading here, some people seem to have pissed off the voodoo gods...

·
Registered
45 Posts
As it turns out, I think I'm one of the guilty parties in that when I joined, I was looking for information about a problem with my Acadia.

Now that the wifeoid and I have owned ours since March 08, I can honestly say I love the thing!!! Problems have been minor and so far fixed. One recurring gremlin that we're trying to capture, but other than those things, I absolutely love driving it.

I haven't owned a brand new vehicle since my 1992 Toyota 4x4 pick up and I've got to say that THIS one is **** nice. I could continue the praises but I think you get the point.

As with ANY new vehicle, regardless of testing and such, there are going to be problems. That's the case with this one as well. But considering all things, I think it's worth the risk since this rig is better than alot of what is out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts