GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 09 Acadia is in and the wife and I are going to close the deal either this weekend or on Monday. :blob: Needless to say I am completely beside myself in anticipation!

I sold my "to/from work" car using an electronic messaging board at work. While I was posting my car's ad I ran across a fellow employee's ad concerning selling GM card points. Since I'm so close to buying the Acadia I called him up and asked what it was all about. Apparently he has a credit card that has GM points on it and he is looking to sell the points at 30 cents on the dollar. So if I do my math right, I could pay him $750 for instance and be able to apply $2500 towards the Acadia in return. Sounds good but the deal itself sounds a little wierd. The info I had from him made it sound like he would have to do something like add my name to his credit card for 1 day and then I would be eligible to use the points. To be honest it sounds a little strange....and I'm not sure how comfortable I feel being added to someone elses credit card........fellow coworker or not.

To those of you that have used GM points before, any insight about this would be appreciated. Is selling your GM points something that is even allowed?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm about 80% sure that anybody can simply give you their points. I don't think you have to sign up to his card for a day or anything like that. Go to GM Card's website to see if there are details there. He may have to come with you when you buy the vehicle to sign something, I'm not sure. As for the legality of selling you his points............that's simply between you and him. If paying him $750 is what it takes to have him come to the dealership to sign over the $2500, so be it. It should be much simpler than you think, you just might need make a call or two (or have him make the call and ask these questions being as it's him $ that will be applied to your new Acadia. ;D

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have been using the GM card for over 10 years and I have never heard of someone giving or selling the earnings. The first thing I thought when I saw this was that it was a scam. Of course, I would love to know if I am wrong as perhaps someday I would want to give and/or sell my earnings. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
pgh_acadia said:
I'm about 80% sure that anybody can simply give you their points. I don't think you have to sign up to his card for a day or anything like that.
I wanted to use my GM Card points for my Wifes car purchase. She did not physically have a GM card with her name, I was not going to be on the paperwork for the transaction. I was required to call GM Card, and add her to my GM Card account and have a card issued to her in order for my points to transfer to her purchase.

Another time, my parents gave me there GM Card points, and there was no problem or questions asked. They just took the card number and processed it.

To be honest, it may just be the finance person that you deal with that day.

I personally would not give my info to someone to be added to their card for 1 day or 1 minute. It is not worth it if something happens with that card. Good deal maybe, but could turn into a big headache in the end.
The old saying of sounds to good to be true.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Stay away! You can only use the points when you are an official account holder to the credit card (ie. you and your spouse). The credit reporting ramifications are a total nightmare if you were added as a co-signer to someone else's credit card.

"Run away! Run away!" - Monty Python's Holy Grail (1975)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
And if you don't run away, they may just "f**t in your general direction." - Monty Python's Holy Grail (1975)

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might also want to check the redemption allowances on the GMCard website:

GMC Model Redemption Allowance
Crossover
2009 GMC Acadia $1,000
SUV
2009 GMC Envoy $2,000
2009 GMC Yukon $1,500
2009 GMC Yukon XL $1,500
Pickup
2009 GMC Canyon $1,500
2009 GMC Sierra $1,500
Van/Minivan
2009 GMC Savana $3,000
Medium Duty
2009 GMC Topkick $1,000

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses everybody. I concur with all. I was already leaning towards not doing it because of the wierdness of being added to someone elses card, but the nail on the coffin was that fact that the cap is only $1000. That isn't worth the hassle. Oh well.

In other news, are there any GM employees on here willing to offer up their employee discount? I think I read somewhere on the Enclave forum that GM extended that program (the ability for GM employees to give their friends access to the Employee pricing) until the 19th and it is valid on 09s as well....

Never hurts to ask! ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
For what it's worth, those Redemption Allowances only apply to certain "types" of GM Cards. I have the GM World Card that only allows you to accumulate a max of $500 per year for 7 years (after year 7, year 8 simply replaces whatever you earned in year 1, etc). Then, when it comes time to buy a GM vehicle, there is no limit on the amount of points applied to your purchase (up to the max of $3500 you can accumulate over 7 years).

I just placed my order for a 2009 Acadia SLT2 on Saturday at Invoice price..........plus I have $3500 in GM Card points to use towards my purchase. Sweet!! :thumb:

There is another type of GM Card where there is no limit on the amount of GM Card points you can earn in a calendar year, however you have to abide by the Redemption Allowances.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
pgh_acadia said:
For what it's worth, those Redemption Allowances only apply to certain "types" of GM Cards. I have the GM World Card that only allows you to accumulate a max of $500 per year for 7 years (after year 7, year 8 simply replaces whatever you earned in year 1, etc). Then, when it comes time to buy a GM vehicle, there is no limit on the amount of points applied to your purchase (up to the max of $3500 you can accumulate over 7 years).

My parents have this type of card. I think this is an earlier program. I don't think it is available anymore, Is it?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
bonk1313 said:
pgh_acadia said:

My parents have this type of card. I think this is an earlier program. I don't think it is available anymore, Is it?
It is not. They stopped issuing them about 8 years ago. They had 2 cards back then. One was free every year and gave $500 per year for up to 7 years or $3500. I used mine to get $3000 off my 2008 Acadia. They had another premium card with a yearly fee of $20 but you could get up to $1000 per year for 7 years and get up to $7000 off. I don't know of anyone that has one of those.

The GM Card keeps sending me invites to "not have my $500 cap" and to get "unlimited earnings" by upgrading to a new card. But I'm smart enough to know that I only buy a car every 4-7 years and $2000 - $3500 is likely to be a better deal than the cap they put on the rewards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you thought about the ramifications of being added to someone else's GM Card? Do you know if they are a card holder in good standing with GM Card? Are they delinquent on their payments? Have they made any late payments?

All these questions should come to mind when someone asks you to be a joint owner of their credit card (whether GM Card or not). The reason you should care is because as soon as you give GM Card your social security number to tie you to that person's GM Card Account, you have now accepted liability for the activity on that account, whether good or bad. Have you not heard the horror stories over the past decade (or two) from individuals who have given their social security number to someone (even in good faith) only to have their entire life destroyed? I can only imagine the nightmare it would be to convince TransUnion, Experian, and EquiFax that you really didn't have anything to do with that other person's use and payment history of their GM Card.

Remember, we live in a world now where our livelihood is based on a thing called credit and everything we do is tied to our social security number. Protect that number with your life. Is a meager $1,000 or even $3,500 off the sale price of a vehicle worth the years of headache and frustration trying to sort out your life with the credit bureaus? I wouldn't think so. Put it in perspective. I think you'll come to your senses soon enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts