GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, on my 2007 (used, owned by me for 2 weeks) Acadia that I LOVE....I heard that whine sound in the steering so I took it to the local GMC dealer (not where I bought it) for what I thought was warranty work. They told me that this was not covered because the damage was from being in an accident.
This is the dealers write up: Power steering fluid aireated inspected power steering system for leaks and found power steering cooler was damaged from an accident and caused it to leak this caused the pump to cavitate and wear out estimate for repair is $697.84.

I called the place where I bought it and they said they would fix it at their cost and that they were not aware of any accidents. (They buy from auctions) I decided to look into this Acadia a lil more and this is what I found out....It was a rental for Enterprise somewhere around CT, the last documented warranty work was done in Maryland on 12-6-07 with the miles being 18468. It has 19705 on it (when I bought it) so for 9 months it only had a lil more than 1000 miles put on it.

I put in the VIN numbers in the carfax and it says there are 11 records found on this Acadia. I did call the Enterprise place today explained to them what was going on and they are to get back to me. If they can not tell me anything I am going to pay to have the carfax info. If I find out this was a major accident what should I do? I love this Acadia but I don't want to have the worry of everytime I have trouble with it and take it into get looked at that they say it's accident related and warranty wont cover it.

Please any thoughts or suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
hmmmm kind of a sticky situation there.. Did they sell you the Acadia as a Certified Pre Owned? If so then I would use that as my firepower. Personally, for $24.99 I would have already done the Carfax report. It would bother me that GMC is buying back rental cars for their resale and not providing you a carfax report.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ttwins1107 said:
hmmmm kind of a sticky situation there.. Did they sell you the Acadia as a Certified Pre Owned? If so then I would use that as my firepower. Personally, for $24.99 I would have already done the Carfax report. It would bother me that GMC is buying back rental cars for their resale and not providing you a carfax report.
No it was not a Certified Pre Owned. :( I am not sure GMC bought this back I think the rental place may have been the seller. I don't know how that all works. I am going to do the Carfax. I was waiting a day to see what kind of information I could get from the guy from Enterprise that I called. So far nothing. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
No matter what Enterprise tells you, they don't have a dog in this fight after the vehicle was auctioned off to a seller who neglected to tell you they purchased it from a rental fleet. Your seller could have done the same VIN search you did if they didn't know its history (and may have). Whatever written warranty your seller tendered as part of your sales documents package is your only recourse, and so I'll hope you got a really great deal AND a written warranty! If you received no warranty other than their goodwill, unfortunately "as-is" is as-is. Good luck, but know regardless that this vehicle platform is highly rated in survey after survey. It should hold up pretty well regardless of its rough start as a rental.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joeskady said:
No matter what Enterprise tells you, they don't have a dog in this fight after the vehicle was auctioned off to a seller who neglected to tell you they purchased it from a rental fleet. Your seller could have done the same VIN search you did if they didn't know its history (and may have). Whatever written warranty your seller tendered as part of your sales documents package is your only recourse, and so I'll hope you got a really great deal AND a written warranty! If you received no warranty other than their goodwill, unfortunately "as-is" is as-is. Good luck, but know regardless that this vehicle platform is highly rated in survey after survey. It should hold up pretty well regardless of its rough start as a rental.
Thanks. What I am hoping for from Enterprise is to gain the knowledge about the accident this acadia has been in, major or minor. They (where I bought it) said they did not do a Carfax. I love it and am hoping, fingers crossed, to get this fixed with no other troubles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
1. Do the Carfax
2. Bug the seller, but watch the "as is" mentioned prior, and check paperwork you received
3. I would not give up on the Enterprise angle but only if you can dig up an accident possibly involving the steering issue. Enterprise will likely plead ignorance if they even respond. But what if another person hit the Enterprise car and that insurance company made payments? Might be a source of recovery there. You just need to possibly get more information. IF not, close up this option, because you don't have enough, and it wouldn't be cost effective IMHO to pursue with so little. But dig first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
You haven't said whether or not you received a written warranty from your seller. That they are willing to fix this first problem is either a sign of their goodwill or an admission that they're bound by some warranty. If it were me, I would first find out exactly what they have agreed to cover via your sales documentation. If it isn't there in writing, there is none.

Then I would pay that GMC dealer the $100-150 usually charged for an overall 'used car inspection' that is always a good idea prior to any purchase. Since they quickly realized that this vehicle had been previously wrecked, their complete inspection will also tell you how bad any and all of the damage was whether Enterprise is willing to talk further or not.

At that point (knowing the full extent of the previous damage for leverage), I would either allow your seller to make the repair as offered and keep the vehicle, or I'd ask to have the sale rescinded (if the inspection-documented wreck damage was major). If you have not yet allowed the seller repair it for you, they will still be ahead in the game and may be willing to let you to walk away with your money refunded. But your (paid) inspection by a third party (the GMC dealer) is a must here for your future peace of mind and wallet, and the small amount of money it involves will be well worth it either way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
My first question is this- have you seen any power steering fluid on the ground prior to any of this happening? If it is losing fluid due to a leaking cooler, it has to go someplace. Once enough leaks out, gravity takes over & it hits the ground. You should see drops on the pavement under the front of the vehicle.

Hindsight is 20/20. Buy the Carfax so you can put it in the vehicle's file- they do make mistakes on things like mileage and servicing. They added a service contract to a Durango we owned from a dealer we had never been to, which triggered an odometer rollback alert on our truck. These mistakes are a pain to correct, and even with documentation (I had it from dealers before & after the date they entered) they don't remove the erroneous listing, just the mileage. It is nice to have this record in place as of now in case something is added later.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a history report ($10~30) before you put any money down on a used vehicle. Share this with as many people as you know. It is a cheap means of getting information you can use. You are seeing the effects of not doing so now, and are unfortunately not the first to do this. Things could be worse. Usually, it is the case of the person that bought a "clean late model used car" with 80K miles from Fly By Night Auto Sales for a really high price only to find out it has over 160K miles, and THEN they buy the history report. If they had a history report first, they would not fall victim to this scheme.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
My first question is this- have you seen any power steering fluid on the ground prior to any of this happening? If it is losing fluid due to a leaking cooler, it has to go someplace. Once enough leaks out, gravity takes over & it hits the ground. You should see drops on the pavement under the front of the vehicle.

Hindsight is 20/20. Buy the Carfax so you can put it in the vehicle's file- they do make mistakes on things like mileage and servicing. They added a service contract to a Durango we owned from a dealer we had never been to, which triggered an odometer rollback alert on our truck. These mistakes are a pain to correct, and even with documentation (I had it from dealers before & after the date they entered) they don't remove the erroneous listing, just the mileage. It is nice to have this record in place as of now in case something is added later.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS buy a history report ($10~30) before you put any money down on a used vehicle. Share this with as many people as you know. It is a cheap means of getting information you can use. You are seeing the effects of not doing so now, and are unfortunately not the first to do this. Things could be worse. Usually, it is the case of the person that bought a "clean late model used car" with 80K miles from Fly By Night Auto Sales for a really high price only to find out it has over 160K miles, and THEN they buy the history report. If they had a history report first, they would not fall victim to this scheme.
Thanks. I did get the carfax and it does not have anything about any accident. Which is good, I hope.

There is/was nothing leaking (that I saw and I did look) from the acadia. I did have the problem fixed, the place where I bought it fixed it at no charge to me. Although, their warranty sticker said they would pay 70% and buyer to pay 30%. They did not charge me AND they said they were going to refund me the fee from the GMC dealer that I first took it to thinking it was warranty work. ;D The last couple of cars/suv's that I have bought have been new so I have not really had to worry about all this other stuff for a while. I just assumed (I know... a mistake lol) that I would not have any worries since it was almost new :) . I did ask them to look around to see if they could find any more damage and they said they did and saw nothing. But anyway, she (I think it is a she) seems to be running great and I love her. LOL I can honeslty say there is no other SUV on the road that catches my eye like the acadia does. I find myself looking out the window often to admire it. :D

Thanks to all for their thoughts and help. :) :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
I'm glad to hear that it worked out. Something does not add up though:

Either:
1) There was a leak, but it was so small it has not run down onto the ground yet. Seems unlikely to me.
2) There was no leak, the $700 estimate repair dealer was wrong about the source of the problem, or they are saying the leak was some time in the past and had been repaired, but this damage caused the noise.
3) There was a leak due to an unreported crash that damaged the vehicle, and was fixed out-of-pocket w/o going through an insurance company or police report. Kind of unlikely if it was hard enough to damage a cooler behind the bumper, and rental companies always file police reports for any significant crash damage.
4) It was a genuine warranty repair and the selling dealer was reimbursed for the job. Most likely to me based on what you described.

It is unusual & really says a lot that the selling dealer would step up 100% for the repair where they didn't have to.

Repair work can be just as tricky as buying. We had a company car that had the motor (short block) replaced due to oil consumption and I paid the bill and drove it home on a Friday. A small puddle of oil leaked out in the driveway, so I took it back the following Monday. The service writer stuck us with another $500 for an oil filter housing and labor, which I had to pay to get the car back in service. Being automotively inclined, I knew for that brand the filter housing had to be recycled from the old motor to the new one. I returned and complained/explained to the manager how his motors were constructed. He talked to the tech that had done the install, and he admitted he had over tightened the filter housing and cracked it. We got our money back, and I never used that dealer for fleet service again- they had also torn the hood off one of our cars, and failed to install a motor mount bolt on the same one that had the leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Mollie said:
LOL I can honeslty say there is no other SUV on the road that catches my eye like the acadia does. I find myself looking out the window often to admire it. :D

Thanks to all for their thoughts and help. :) :)
smitten, whoever knew we could be smitten by a truck! :thumb: ;) the other day i went to costco and parked right beside an acadia that is exactly the same color as mine. the other owner said it is a fabulous truck and she loves it very much. and they both look fabulous, if you guys know what i mean ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
I'm glad to hear that it worked out. Something does not add up though:

Either:
1) There was a leak, but it was so small it has not run down onto the ground yet. Seems unlikely to me.
2) There was no leak, the $700 estimate repair dealer was wrong about the source of the problem, or they are saying the leak was some time in the past and had been repaired, but this damage caused the noise.
3) There was a leak due to an unreported crash that damaged the vehicle, and was fixed out-of-pocket w/o going through an insurance company or police report. Kind of unlikely if it was hard enough to damage a cooler behind the bumper, and rental companies always file police reports for any significant crash damage.
4) It was a genuine warranty repair and the selling dealer was reimbursed for the job. Most likely to me based on what you described.

It is unusual & really says a lot that the selling dealer would step up 100% for the repair where they didn't have to.

Repair work can be just as tricky as buying. We had a company car that had the motor (short block) replaced due to oil consumption and I paid the bill and drove it home on a Friday. A small puddle of oil leaked out in the driveway, so I took it back the following Monday. The service writer stuck us with another $500 for an oil filter housing and labor, which I had to pay to get the car back in service. Being automotively inclined, I knew for that brand the filter housing had to be recycled from the old motor to the new one. I returned and complained/explained to the manager how his motors were constructed. He talked to the tech that had done the install, and he admitted he had over tightened the filter housing and cracked it. We got our money back, and I never used that dealer for fleet service again- they had also torn the hood off one of our cars, and failed to install a motor mount bolt on the same one that had the leak.
When I got it fixed the repair guy told me that it looks as if to him that whoever was driving it could have run up over a curb or hit some type of stump. He said the under guard type thing (i forget what he called it) had been pushed back. And a few days before this while I was tracking this Acadia down I talked to a service manager in CT that said without him seeing it only by me reading to him the damage report that this could have happened by driving over something on the road such as a deer that was already hit.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top