GMC Acadia Forum banner

Help! Need advice ASAP!

25K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  GeoHawk 
#1 ·
Hi everyone-

I need some quick advice. Our tires need to be replaced. (what a surprise!) They only have 32000 miles on them and they need to go. So, I have been calling around the tire shops here in Columbus and this is what I have come up with:

Michelin Lattitude Tours $1000 installed
Yokohama Geolander $772.87 installed
Cooper Discover $597.80 installed
???? a tire that I have not metioned that would work well.

These are all 265/60 R18 tires. I know the Michelin Lattitude tires are really nice and I have seen a lot of Yokohama tires on the road. Which would be the best use of our money? I am not sure I want to drop $1000 on a set of tires. But then again, I don't want to cheat us with some cheapo tires either. I am worried that if I get the Cooper Discover tire, that the quality might not be there. I definately like the price, but is it true with tires that you get what you paid for? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
I've had Geolanders on one of my trucks before.  They were real quiet and I got lots of miles out of them.  I've always thought of Michelin as overpriced.  I don't have any experience with Coopers though.

#3 ·
Every Michelin I've ever owned easily got twice the mileage of any other brand I have owned. We have 21K on our Enclave with the Michelin Latitudes and they are showing no signs of wear whatsoever. We rotate about every 6-7K miles.

#4 ·
Bridgestone used to make a great tire called the Dueler A/T Revo. I talk 3 friends into them, and they all loved them too. I'm not sure if the make them any more, or in this size. The Goodyear Fotera's are great too. These look good too . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+D695&partnum=66TR8D695OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=16. Let us know what you get. If you want the Michelin's make sure these are what you get.. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2&partnum=66TR8LTXAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=2

#5 ·
Have you looked at some of the the tire threads on here. You can get some other model tires in a slighlty different but comparable measurements.
Goodyear fortera triple treads were a really nice tire on my Envoy XUV. buddy have them on an Escalade and really liked them also.

Someone was talking abou getting Continentals for 150 a tire I think.

#6 ·
shogun95 said:
Just replaced my 18s at 41,000. They were not quite down to the wear bars but they were getting noisy and in snow were terrible. I put on Continental 275/55s instead of the Goodyear 255/60s for $750 complete. They fit just fine, the speedometer is still correct, tread is more aggressive, can handle a higher payload and the treadwere is supposed to be better. I guess I did OK with the old tires as I got two good years out of the Goodyear! :thumb:
Correct dimensions on the link below, but price was above
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3783.msg64331#msg64331

#7 ·
Here is an update:

I have taken the advice of looking at the Bridgestone Dueler A/T tire. The guy working at the Firestone shop recommended the Dueler H/L Alenza. He said it was built more for the roads. This I like. The only issue is that it is a 265/65 R18 tire. Do any of you think it would be a problem on the Acadia? He said that it is well within the specs. of what tire would work but I would like to get some more opinions since I am clueless when it comes to tire sizes. They are having a 35% off sale for the You pay what we pay event going on until Feb. 1. That would bring the total down to about $600 installed. I don't know if I can pass that up. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Bill

#8 ·
who1975 said:
Hi everyone-

I need some quick advice. Our tires need to be replaced. (what a surprise!) They only have 32000 miles on them and they need to go. So, I have been calling around the tire shops here in Columbus and this is what I have come up with:

Michelin Lattitude Tours $1000 installed
Yokohama Geolander $772.87 installed
Cooper Discover $597.80 installed
???? a tire that I have not metioned that would work well.

These are all 265/60 R18 tires. I know the Michelin Lattitude tires are really nice and I have seen a lot of Yokohama tires on the road. Which would be the best use of our money? I am not sure I want to drop $1000 on a set of tires. But then again, I don't want to cheat us with some cheapo tires either. I am worried that if I get the Cooper Discover tire, that the quality might not be there. I definately like the price, but is it true with tires that you get what you paid for? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Bill
I've had Cooper's on a Taurus and I wasn't impressed with tread wear; so I would steer away. I realize your dilemma; you don't want to take a second mortgage out, but you don't want to go too cheap and then replace them again in 20,000 miles. It seems the Geolander has some good reviews from other members; are you looking for exact size replacements?

#9 ·
Just my 2 cents ---- of the choices mentioned, I'd have to go with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. Next would be the Yokohamas.

#10 ·
Then there's the option of putting the same Goodyear's back on, but I think you are unhappy with their performance :banghead:

#11 ·
The goodyear fortera triple treads and revo's are both rated about the same from what I have found on other forums. I put the triple treads on my truck and the tread wear is much better than the fortera's that come standard on the acadia. Snow traction is great and they are fairly quiet. My acadia has 32000 on it now I have noticed also the tires are getting noisy. If I can find the right size, I will be going to the triple treads on the acadia. They were not cheap in sixteen inch on my truck, so I can imagine it's going to be even worse on the acadia.

#13 ·
I had triple treads on my Envoy and they were pricey; now if you can find them in an 18 wheel I bet they are over $200 a tire

#15 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I think I am leaning towards the Dueler H/L Alenza tires. I can't pass up the 35% discount that they are having. The only thing that I am concerned with is the size. They are 265/65 18's. I know that the stock tire is a 255/65 18. The guy at Firestone told me that the Duelers would be a little taller than the stock tire. Should I be concerned? Could someone enlighten a novice about tire sizes and whether this would be acceptable as a replacement tire? Thanks again.

Bill :thumb:

#16 ·
who1975 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I think I am leaning towards the Dueler H/L Alenza tires. I can't pass up the 35% discount that they are having. The only thing that I am concerned with is the size. They are 265/65 18's. I know that the stock tire is a 255/65 18. The guy at Firestone told me that the Duelers would be a little taller than the stock tire. Should I be concerned? Could someone enlighten a novice about tire sizes and whether this would be acceptable as a replacement tire? Thanks again.

Bill, I think if you do some reading on the site and search tires.. You will find a good amount of stuff already on the site about the tire dimensions and the minimal differences. I think you will be fine from what I remember seeing here, but I am not a tire expert (disclaimer)

#17 ·
Thanks Bonk for the advice. I guess I was just too lazy right to search. I will give the search a try. Thanks.

#18 ·
Going from 255/65-18 to 265/65-18 will change the tire diameter from 31.1-inches to 31.6-inches. At a speedo reading of 65 mph you will actually be travelling at 66.1 mph. Not much of a difference. There's a calculator here: http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

#19 ·
Thanks for the cool link. I wonder if I will need to have the speedo re-calibrated? Is that even something that can be done and should I be concerned? Thanks again.

Bill

#22 ·
Blu-

You know, I actually considered doing that, but with the current performance of the Goodyears that we have on there right now, I was a little hesitant to use Goodyear tires again. We have had good luck with Goodyear before so I was disappointed to see that these did not last very long.

Bill

#23 ·
Also, here is the latest update for my new tires:

We are going to be going with the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza 265/65 R18 tires. Out the door with tires, installatoin and rebuild kits for the TPMS is going to be $668.21. I am actually purchased the tires from Discount Tire. They are going to price match Firestone store coupon. They said the tires are really hard to get for them but they will have some shipped in from Chicago. Hopefully they will be here by Friday. I will let everyone know how they are after I get them on. Thanks again for everyone's helpful advice.

Bill

#24 ·
who1975 said:
Thanks for the cool link. I wonder if I will need to have the speedo re-calibrated? Is that even something that can be done and should I be concerned? Thanks again.

Bill
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about recalibrating the speedo. Not enough of a difference to really matter. :thumb:

#25 ·
Hi everyone-

Here is the latest update on my new tires. Got them installed today at Discount Tire. Then I got a 4-wheel alignment done at Tire Discounters. That is not a typo. Two different shops to get the job done. My first impressions are good. I can't believe that we rode around on the goodyears for so long. The new tires make the Acadia ride like a dream. This is the way a Crossover should ride like. Veru confident traction in the snow and very quiet on the highway. It's like we bought a new car!
:cheers:

Bill

#26 ·
+1 for Discount Tire Direct (Internet branch of above company). They gave me a great deal on new wheels & tires on my Challenger, plus since they didn't have the TPMS units I needed let me find what I needed & ship the TPMS to them. No mistakes, no problems, and the guys I dealt with were top notch. They did the mount & balance & TPMS install for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.