GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GMC certified 2007 Acadia SLT four months ago...it is now in the shop and they are rebuilding the transmission. I am working with GMC to compensate. They are trying to get some type of extra warranty on the rebuild. Is that good enough? The car would not go into reverse every morning and occassionally during the day.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum & thanks for posting your location info.

If I recall correctly, the 2007 Acadia comes with a five-year/100000-mile powertrain warranty.

Need some more info:
1) Did you transfer the powertrain warranty when you got it? This usually requires a small fee to do so.
2) If you did not transfer it, what warranty terms were you given?
3) What are the terms of the proposed warranty "extension"?
4) How many miles are on it now?

It seems like they would perform the repair under the warranty (since that is what it is there for) & it is odd for an extension to be mentioned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 30,000 miles. I believe it came with the full factory warranty, plus an extra 3,000 because it was GMC certified. This repair is covered. The first time I called GMC, the lady there, Maureen, brought up "compensation". I really did not know what that entailed. She called back and was very vague about it, mentioning maybe getting some type of extra warranty. She was transfering my case up to another level. I don't even have the car back, so I don't know if rebuilding the transmission will eliminate the problem. I don't even want the car anymore with this stigmatism. Who would buy a car with a rebuilt transmission? I doubt the original dealer (or any dealer) would take it back for what I paid.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
myjewelacadia said:
There are 30,000 miles. I believe it came with the full factory warranty, plus an extra 3,000 because it was GMC certified. This repair is covered. The first time I called GMC, the lady there, Maureen, brought up "compensation". I really did not know what that entailed. She called back and was very vague about it, mentioning maybe getting some type of extra warranty. She was transfering my case up to another level. I don't even have the car back, so I don't know if rebuilding the transmission will eliminate the problem. I don't even want the car anymore with this stigmatism. Who would buy a car with a rebuilt transmission? I doubt the original dealer (or any dealer) would take it back for what I paid.
How many miles did you actually put on the vehicle since you purchased it?
When did the problems start, how long after the purchase?
Did you contact the selling dealer since you had the problems?
Request a new transmission, not a rebuilt or repaired one.
Did you run a carfax history on the vehicle prior to purchase, not something the dealer showed you?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
As mrvids said, you will end up with one in better shape than most that are out there. The purpose of the warranty is to ensure (warrant) reliability via the manufacturer paying for repairs. Any number of things can cause a transmission failure, but once they are addressed and corrected, it should function as a new unit, perhaps better since the parts are now "seasoned" or broken in. Usually once a defect is identified, the problem is resolved when the item is repaired or rebuilt.

I'm not clear why you are calling GMC vs letting the dealer handle the repair. Has this problem taken place and been repaired more than once? Is there more to this problem?

If they want to give you additional time or miles on the warranty, I would say to go for it.

As far as a problem, it is one thing to have a vehicle that was flood or fire or crash damaged and may have hidden damage that could result in failures later. It is something else to experience a mechanical failure that can and is being repaired. The rebuilding of the transaxle will not adversely affect your vehicle's value. The repair may or may not show up on a vehicle history report such as Carfax. If it does, this does not carry the same weight or potential for problems as the aforementioned flood/fire/crash damage.

No dealer will ever give you anything near what you paid for it. I bought a Toyota truck new in 1988 for $16K. I took it in to get a stain out of the carpet a week later (it was there when I got it) and the salesman said it was now worth $8K to the dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts